Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
My 2011 Buick requires top tier gas per the manufacture. Any thing less opens up a warranty issue. It has to do with the additives added to the gas. Walmart is not listed as a top tier gas.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Top Tier???

In the Houston market, all of the refiners along the ship channel pipe there gasoline to a common distribution terminal. From this terminal, there are truck with Shell, Exxon, Shell, Gulf all getting gasoline from the same pip header.

Once the tanker is full, the driver will add one small test tube of additive to that tanker load.

But by the same token, you will see various manufacturers trucks unloading fuel at the grocery chains, Walmart,etc. and you will see independents unloading at top tier stations.

So the new result is there is not a whole lot of difference other than a little jigger of magic juice additive.

Ken

Old 08-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here are some links to a few of the fuel companies regarding their position on Top Tier fuels. There is a lot of info out there available with some quick Google searches. I do believe that most of the base fuels are probably the same and it is the additives that make the difference and I can't help but believe there is a little more than a test tube full of additive per tanker truck of fuel....

I guess time will tell as I, and maybe some others, use Top Tier fuel and report back with their findings. Hopefully some others will let us know of results they have or will have if they use Top Tier fuels in both their RV as well as their other vehicles.

Trust the Performance of Texaco with Techron
Chevron - Top Tier Gasoline
TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline - Exxon.com
Top Tier Standards - United States

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Instead of worrying your self about getting 'top tier" gasoline's, instead look at the label on the pump. If it says something like "contains XX% ethanol" or some other such words, there is your problem. Most gas today contains some form or another of ethanol and your fuel economy will be about the same percentage worse as the percentage of ethanol in the gas tank. Still have never figured out how getting lower fuel economy can be better for the environment? Or is that another false theory put out by the environmental wacko community??
Several oil companies in our area sell Top Tier gasoline. As 450Donn noted there is no ethanol in this gasoline. I first saw it advertized as "performance fuel" for motorcycles and off road vehicles. They now market it toward the boating crowd claiming it gives better performance and reduces engine wear. Given that ethanol has about 15% fewer BTUs it stands to reason that anything using it would have somewhat reduced power and/or mileage.

We've had to travel to Iowa several times this summer. Most of the stations there sell a grade of gasoline without ethanol. It's usually about $.10 per gallon higher than the stuff wuth ethanol, but we average about 1 mpg more using it in the motorhome. While it doesn't sound like much going from 7 mpg to 8 mpg is like getting 10 gallons free every time you fill the tank. Well almost free, given the price difference it costs an additional $1.00

The addition of Ethanol to gasoline brings up another question. Is the mileage for new cares based on the use of pure gasoline, or on gasoline wuth 10% - 15% ethanol. On one hand it seems strange that the EPA lowered the estimate on some cars claiming owners don't really drive at 55 mph, or accelerate smoothly from a stop. Then on the other hand the federal government approves and subsidizes fuels that are less efficient. Go figure
Old 08-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
When my particular configuration of BMW motorcycle (2007 BMW K1200GT) was introduced to the U.S. with a new design high output (152 BHP from ~73 cubic inches) water-cooled slant 4 engine, driveability problems began developing within a few months. These included stalling when the throttle returned to idle position, rough running, stumbling, etc. After months of investigation, the BMW techies in the motherland determined that the problems were related to injector and throttle body deposits caused by lower quality (relative to Europe) U.S. gasolines.

The immediate fix was a stout dose of Techron concentrated cleaner in the fuel tank by the dealers and a recommendation to use only Top Tier fuels. Longer term, some ECU programming and design changes were made to make the engine more tolerant of lower quality fuels. I never had any problems with my bike because, unless in an extreme emergency situation, I only fueled up at Chevron stations, and their Top Tier fuels were already dosed with Techron.

Some engines may admittedly be more tolerant of intake system deposits, but they certainly are not going to be immune to loss of efficiency (and fuel economy) as deposits build up on the intake valves, etc.

Rusty
Today's engines are running right on the edge of technology. The tolerances are tighter, & that's why they recommend 5-30w motor oil.
Compression is high, and cheap fuel WILL cause you trouble.

I don't really mind tho, because I make my living repairing cars.

I've built & raced cars. My hobbie. Loads of $$$$ spent.
I live just a couple miles from Willows Springs Raceway,
::::Willow Springs Raceway::::

I've spent hrs & hrs researching fuels & additives, and whether to use them or not, and which ones work the best.

Techron, I've found, is the best you can buy off the shelf. Sea Foam is #2. All others are created equal. The gov't (EPA) only allows certain things & quantity of, to be "burnt" in America's engines. All about pollution control you know.

Chevron owns the patent on Techron, and sells it to other gasoline producers. Its about $6.50 a bottle at Wallyworld. It works.
I recommend it to costemers that can't afford the $130 BG service.

It has 'approved' additives in it that cost more than STP, Gumout, super tech, etc. etc. Those cheap ones are primarily just a mixure of kerosene and unknowns. Old timers used to put kerosene in the fuel & engine oil to clean things out.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Instead of worrying your self about getting 'top tier" gasoline's, instead look at the label on the pump. If it says something like "contains XX% ethanol" or some other such words, there is your problem. Most gas today contains some form or another of ethanol and your fuel economy will be about the same percentage worse as the percentage of ethanol in the gas tank. Still have never figured out how getting lower fuel economy can be better for the environment? Or is that another false theory put out by the environmental wacko community??
Subsidized corn growers. Plain & simple. More $$$ paid for turning corn into fuel than food. The rest of the world that relies (relied) on Americas corn to feed themselves will know starve. Its been on the news.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalcon View Post
If you're buying regular gas it really doesn't matter what brand. Walmart doesn't make gas, they buy it. All refineries make the same gas.
This is basically true. But, the additive package is what makes the difference. I read Motor, and Motor Age magazine (free to repair shops). They both sent an undercover mobile lab around America. They would stop at different gas stations, branded and non-branded, and purchase gas, then analyse it.

They concluded that MOST name brand stations are selling what is claimed. Reg-Mid-Premium. But that many no-name staions were not.

Like....premium gas was actually "regular" (& you thought you were buying premium).

Or blends of grades & manufactures. Also, most no-names will purchase fuel cheaper from drivers of the rigs that have some left over fuel in their tanks, and don't want to carry it back to the dispensor.

So that is where the 'blends of who knows what' come from.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Joe View Post
Here are some links to a few of the fuel companies regarding their position on Top Tier fuels. There is a lot of info out there available with some quick Google searches. I do believe that most of the base fuels are probably the same and it is the additives that make the difference and I can't help but believe there is a little more than a test tube full of additive per tanker truck of fuel....

I guess time will tell as I, and maybe some others, use Top Tier fuel and report back with their findings. Hopefully some others will let us know of results they have or will have if they use Top Tier fuels in both their RV as well as their other vehicles.

Trust the Performance of Texaco with Techron
Chevron - Top Tier Gasoline
TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline - Exxon.com
Top Tier Standards - United States
Ok, so I needed a break from my job at Rockwell on the Space Shuttle Program (that's another wonderful 11 yr. chapter of my life).
I volunteered for a layoff and finally got it. 2yrs of goofing off in the Smokey Mtns. relieved my bank account of the severence package. So, what now??

I went to work as a car salesman. Nice, but sometimes tough job. I learned another whole side of the automobile world.

One thing I learned was that the manufacturers do NOT like it when their vehicles have little engine running problems. Misfires, poor idle, lower fuel economy, etc. And cheap fuel is usually the cause. So they got together with some of the top name-brand fuel companies and came up with a program called Top-Tier.

So using those fuels WILL help your vehicle run at peak performance.

You WILL be happier for it.

Last 7 yrs Ive been managing a smog & repair shop. 3 12/ more & I'm out.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Here is a link to the Calif Air Resource Board. I get all their emails to keep me updated on new pollution control laws.
Low Emission Vehicle (LEV-III) Program

We consumers will have to change along the way, as gov't tries to keep our air & water pollution free, so our grand kids will live a less cancerous life.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #24

A little known fact about top tier gasolines. All three of the US OEMs use one brand of gas for thier EPA testing done in Michigan. Chevon. And Chevron gas is not available in Michigan. Its trucked in from Kentucky and Tenn. It does make a difference.