Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #1

Totally NEW to Toads...Where do I begin?

So..we've had our 1997 Rexhall Class A 32' motor home for about 2.5 years and are 'thinking' of getting a used car to tow behind it. NO idea where to start!

Rather than hitting my head against a brick wall, I'd love to get some input (as I usually do before I attempt anything in regards to RV's) from folks who would know...YOU!

So I'm looking for input as to the best vehicle to tow and the equipment needed to connect everything.

Background info:
  • There's just me and the the wife so we don't need too much room.
  • We always carry two to 3 bikes on our bike rack, so the Toad will need to have a 2" receiver to handle the bike rack.
  • I see a LOT of folks hauling Jeeps, but I don't care for Jeeps. (http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/sorrysign.gif)
  • I have an 2000 Isuzu Rodeo, but I believe someone on this site said that's not a good rig to tow as it will eat up the transmission, plus it rides TERRIBLE, want something that's smoother.
  • I would prefer to have something that rides smooth and quiet and is 4 wheel drive, and according to consumer reports has a good repair record..say like Toyota.

So that's all I know. I mean I have no idea about what towing related stuff I should be looking at. I know something is supposed to go on the car, towing plate? and then there's the whole braking thing...no idea. I do see a connector on the back of the RV which I assume is what the previous owner used to connect to the Toad but as far as I know, there's nothing under the dash in the front of the RV that's related to towing a Toad.

I did find the link for which vehicles are best for towing: Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine

But looking forward to hearing what you all have to say, and I thank you in advance!

Tri
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Background info:
  • There's just me and the the wife so we don't need too much room.
  • We always carry two to 3 bikes on our bike rack, so the Toad will need to have a 2" receiver to handle the bike rack.
  • I see a LOT of folks hauling Jeeps, but I don't care for Jeeps. (http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/sorrysign.gif)
  • I have an 2000 Isuzu Rodeo, but I believe someone on this site said that's not a good rig to tow as it will eat up the transmission, plus it rides TERRIBLE, want something that's smoother.
  • I would prefer to have something that rides smooth and quiet and is 4 wheel drive, and according to consumer reports has a good repair record..say like Toyota.

So that's all I know. I mean I have no idea about what towing related stuff I should be looking at. I know something is supposed to go on the car, towing plate? and then there's the whole braking thing...no idea. I do see a connector on the back of the RV which I assume is what the previous owner used to connect to the Toad but as far as I know, there's nothing under the dash in the front of the RV that's related to towing a Toad.

I suggest you start by first determining what your rig is capable of towing. I "assume" it already has a hitch. What is the rating of the hitch? After inspecting the hitch for safety and security, you'll know how much weight you can tow.

At this point, you've probably eliminated many of the 4-down toads. Next, decide if 4-down is necessary or just a "want." If it's just a "want," you can think about trailers and dollies. Be aware that trailers add significant weight and dollies have always seemed (to me) a real PITA when you're parked.

After you narrow down your choice of toad, go to etrailer.com and study their videos and articles.

At the least, you'll need a tow bar (connects moho to toad,) a base plate (installed on the toad for tow bar to connect to,) a braking system (can be permanently installed or portable,) and all the accessories such as safety cables, wiring adaptor, etc.

We started out with a 1993 Geo Tracker (2700 lbs) that already had a "Redneck baseplate" welded directly to the frame. It "ain't purdy" but it gets the job done. Between the moho hitch and the toad is a Roadmaster Falcon2 tow bar. External brake & turn lights had been wired in so all we needed was a 7-pin-to-4-flat cable from the moho to the toad. We use a BrakeBuddy for braking and the PO had added an "always hot" cigarette lighter socket so the BB always has juice.

Recently, my wife decided she wanted something more comfortable so we bought a 2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD automatic that can be towed 4 down. At 4000 lbs, it's a lot porkier than the Tracker but everything I've read says it shouldn't affect the Ford F53 chassis. So, don't count out Jeep, they might be the answer.

For future reference, "best" is a bad word in the real world. Everything is a compromise, it's just that some compromises are better than others.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #3

Tri-

Welcome to the world of toads and towing!

I recommend that you attempt to read through as many posts on this forum as you can stand. A lot of threads are here that ask the same questions you ask.

What you'll find is that everyone has an opinion, and that the two most popular toads are the Jeeps and the pre-2015 Honda CRV. As you've ruled out the Jeeps, that leaves the CRV.. and every other car under the sun, some of which can be towed "four-down" and some that require more "effort" to make towable.

If the CRV is not your cup of tea, find a few models you like from the Motorhome Magazine lists (they go back over a decade, if memory serves), and see if those models work for you and the missus.

Assuming you tow "four down," you'll want a base plate, towbar, braking system and lighting system.

By the way, your bike rack may be able to be adapted to fit on a 1-1/4 inch receiver, which would be more common on smaller cars. Our Thule rack holds 4 bikes, and fits a 1-1/4 inch receiver without modification.

All the best in your hunt.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out Subaru's with manual transmissions. Rated high.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #5

The Dingy Towng Guide you mentioned will give you all the information you need. Now it is down to personal choice. Some people like Jeeps, some like Honda CRV, some like Cadallic.
As far as carrying bikes go, there are carriers that will go on the back of the MH and still allow for a toad. Most cars/SUV/pickups can have a hitch installed that will handle two or three bikes.
In my case I carry our bikes inside the CRV. I have a roof rack bar mounted to the floor and quick releases. The bike sit upright in the back with the fork secured by the quick release and the front wheels are Velcroed to the side of the frame. Keeps them clean during travel.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:59 AM   #6

More Advice

Tri-

LeeOts made a great point: The place to start is to find out the tow rating for your hitch. That number may be listed in your owner's manual, if the coach came from the factory with a hitch. Any vehicle you choose should weigh less than that rating, with all cargo, such as bikes if you carry them in or on the toad, included. In our case, we would have liked to take our Honda Element, but it weighed too much for our former coach's hitch. (Digression: The Element, no longer made, is an amazingly flexible vehicle for two people, and comes in an AWD version.) Our new coach could tow it.

If you've not used the hitch recently, a visual inspection should tell you if it's ready for service.

Find out whether your coach has a 4-pin, 6-pin or 7-pin receptacle at the hitch. You can tow with just a 4-pin, but some toads and braking systems benefit from having a 12V coach battery-to-toad battery connection, which requires an extra wire. If you have a 7-pin receptacle, and the wire is connected to the coach battery and the receptacle (some aren't), you should not need to run the extra wire.

The baseplate manufacturers (such as Blue Ox, Demco and Roadmaster- there may be more) usually have compatibility charts that help you evaluate whether a particular model of a car is "easy" or "difficult" to tow four-down. Here are links to two such charts, from Roadmaster:

For "tow brackets" (i.e., baseplates): http://roadmasterinc.com/bg_/bg_rmi_std.pdf
For electrical components: http://roadmasterinc.com/pdf/vehicle...components.pdf

I spent a lot of time on etrailer's Web site. They carry a wide range of products, and can tell you what's available for different vehicles.

iRV2 has a "toad for sale" classified section, at this link.

Finally, whatever vehicles you put on your short list, download and read the owner's manuals, specifically the "Towing" and/or "Recreational Towing" sections. If the manufacturer says your preferred tow method is OK, you're clear. If he says no, you can use a method for which the manufacturer approves, or (here's an opinion, get ready for it) move on to another vehicle on your list.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Next to Jeeps, the Honda CRV is one of the most popular toads out there! We love our 2013 CRV AWD! Just be aware that the 2015 & 2016 CRV CANNOT be towed 4-down!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:15 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
None of the Toyotas can be towed 4 down according to the manufacturer the last time I checked. But manual transmissions may make it possible. You'll have to check.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:20 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
You might want to think about a tow dolly with brakes and breakaway and then you can tow any front wheel drive toad. Do a search on this site on tow Dolly's .
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #10

Be sure and take a look at the Roadmaster Invisibrake.
SeniorRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #11

TriMoot,

with over 100 vehicles of all types & sizes capable of being towed 4 down behind your rig, the question is what do you want to use the vehicle for when its not being towed. Some like a Jeep for 4 wheeling off road, some like the Honda CRv for its comfort & quality, some like a pickup for added storage in the bed, some want to be able to haul at least 4 adults around, etc etc
As long as you find it on the Motorhome magazine dinghy guide, its ok to tow; some do have limitations in speed, duration, switch position, etc. so read all the footnotes.
Personally I like to have a pickup for my needs, so I tow a GMC Canyon 4x4 (twin to the Chevy Colorado). I'm very happy with it, its very easy to hookup & ready for towing, with the key off, no miles recorded while towing (transfer switch in neutral), and no limitations on speed or duration.
But I wouldn't pretend to pick what vehicle out of the 100 choices would best suit you, any more than I could pick the best RV model for your preferences.
You'll need a towbar, an auxillary brake sys, and a towing light wiring kit. All very easy to self install, or pay more for professional installation.
Don't waste your time with a tow dolly. With 100 different vehicles capable of towing 4 down, its not worth the extra hassle to mess with a dolly everytime you park.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I have just started the toad process myself. I am looking closely at used Ford Focus's to tow 4 down. Light weight and light on the pocketbook for the car. Another reason for the Ford is you can get service anywhere. Now I need to test drive one to see if I like the way they handle.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:32 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
I have just started the toad process myself. I am looking closely at used Ford Focus's to tow 4 down. Light weight and light on the pocketbook for the car. Another reason for the Ford is you can get service anywhere. Now I need to test drive one to see if I like the way they handle.
Check the Chevy Spark while you are looking. We purchased our new 20113 Chevy Spark with a 5 sp manual trans for $13K out the door and it only weighs around 2,230 lbs.

If you want an automatic check out the Chevy Sonic.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #14

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! Man I love this place!! Great responses all around and I'm embarrassed to admit.... I had forgotten I even posted this!!! Sorrrrrrrrryyyyy!

So, it's obvious I have some work to do:
- check the hitch as to what it will tow
- decide WHAT toad to purchase
- figure out what connection I have in the back
- determine if I can do the install
- decide which bank to rob to pay for all of this
- or....win the lottery

So yeah, lots to do.

I for sure want to tow as having a dolly just seems troublesome (plus I gave them up when I was 4) 🤣[emoji23]

So I will do some homework and report back.

Thanks again everyone!! You all RAWK!

PS: RAWK is a good thing, right?
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, toads