Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tow 4 wheels down or with dolly. opinions pls

Since new to RVing, we bought a 2009 jeep wrangler to tow. I know these can be towed 4 wheels down and it weighs 3800lbs, there is a lot of retrofit required to add the towing package versus a tow dolly. What are your thoughts on best way to go. We have the 2014 Thor ACE 27.1

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #2

Welcome! You will no doubt get many opinions on this topic. For me towing 4 down is best and pretty much hassle free. Figure on spending approx $3K If you choose to flat tow... Base plates, tow bar, tail light wiring, and some type of remote braking system.

I use Roadmaster tow gear and a Brakebuddy Vantage...very easy to hook up and un hook...

Make sure your coach hitch is rated to tow your jeep...I suspect you have a 5K hitch which is plenty for your jeep....

Good luck

Jim

Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
When I started, RV'ing seven years ago, I bought a new car and a tow dolly. After about 1 year of the hassel of using the dolly, I traded the car, (which was not towable 4-down), sold the dolly and bought a car, that was towable 4-down. I have never regretted it!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use a ow dolly as our Kia van cannot be towed 4 down. I am not sure what you mean about towing package. Whether towing 4 down or on a dolly, you will a class IV hitch to tow with. Towing 4 down is the preferred method, with the tow doll being the second choice.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #5

We are also new to RVing and have already seen a couple of campgrounds with nowhere to put the dolly. For this reason, plus the time needed to hook/unhook, we chose to buy a used SUV already configured for four-down. Watching a long-weekend stream of MH's going by on the road, this seems to be the preferred method by far.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyandKare View Post
Since new to RVing, we bought a 2009 jeep wrangler to tow. I know these can be towed 4 wheels down and it weighs 3800lbs, there is a lot of retrofit required to add the towing package versus a tow dolly. What are your thoughts on best way to go. We have the 2014 Thor ACE 27.1
We use this Currie Enterprises CE-9033JK - Currie Enterprises Tow Bar Mounting Plate for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec for our tow plate.
A Demco Commander tow bar, and this Cool Tech LLC. JK Tow Harness Kit for our light hookup. All works great.
I am a big fan of this for brakingRVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System

FYI you cannot tow the Jeep with a tow dolly. It MUST be towed 4 down.
mevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyandKaren View Post
I don't know about the Jeep, but many 4WD/AWD vehicles can't be towed on a dolly. Either all 4 wheels need to be turning (4 down) or none can turn (trailer, not dolly). Check your owners manual to be sure.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #8

We were considering dolly towing, but found that our Kia Sedona was too heavy (4800 pounds) for most dollies and would have been over the hitch rating if it had been on one.

Modifying the Sedona for four down would have cost over $3000 and it's an oldster and not worth that much. We decided to go without a dinghy altogether. Since we do our sight seeing en-route and rarely stay at a CG more than one night, we haven't missed not having one.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
thank you all for your input much appreciated, we have decided to tow 4 wheels down have a great day all.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've towed a 04 Wrangler 4-down, a 09 Prius on a dolly, and now have a 14 C-max 4-down. Didn't much like loading, unloading and finding storage for the dolly. It always seemed to be raining whenever I had to crawl under and do the safety chains on the dolly. For me, 4-down towing is a much better way to go. Certainly happy that I have found a towable hybrid.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyandKaren View Post
thank you all for your input much appreciated, we have decided to tow 4 wheels down have a great day all.
Good decision, since it was your only choice with that specific toad.
mevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
tow dolly adventure

We have towed flat and used a dolly. After one three week trip with the tow dolly we sold the 2013 chevy malibu and brought a 2014 Jeep Trail Hawk. Trail Hawk is being rigged for flat towing next week.

The stories I can tell about using a tow dolly would have you LOL but we will never use on again. Using a tow dolly for us was just a pain the a$$ and too much hassle. Research on flat towing, the Jeep seemed to be the easiest hassel free vehichle to tow.

I actually considered getting rid of the tow dolly and car on our trip it was that much of a pain in the a$$ from my perspective!! If the Jeep dealer had been more accomodating in MT we would have purchased the Jeep Trail Hawk on the spot instead of doing it the day after we got home!

Good Luck with what ever you do.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
we have been towing our KIA RIO with the acme ez-tow for two years now with no problems. The DW and I have loading and unloading down to a science and for us, this is the way to go. Not to mention the ez-tow is approximately half the price (1300.00) of fitting a car for 4 wheels down towing. The ez-tow has a small enough footprint that it fits under our Bounder at campsites and takes up absolutely no extra room. Now if you want to spend more, it's your money to do as you wish.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #14

I tow an '03 Durango 4-down. It takes me less than five minutes to hook or unhook. MUCH easier than messing with a dolly!

Rich & Linda
'06 Mandalay 40E
Freightliner XC-R chassis
Cummins 400 HP ISL

Tags
dolly, tow