Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Tow a 2WD silverado Truck 2001

whats involved in towing a 200 2WD Silverado 1500 truck Automatic Trans
I see others towing these 4 wheels down
what are the options and appx cost beside a tow bar?
good and bads would be appreciated

My toad now is a Jeep and want to tow my truck some times instead.

Thanks
Ron K
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Your 2WD truck is not towable without modification.

Remco Towing may be able to help.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #3

Sorry 66 is not quite correct

Your 2wd 1500 Silverado is towable.

We currently have a 2004 1500 Silverado 2wd and were told the same thing, by trade I am a mechanic/automotive electrical engineer, so I did lots of research and as expected got lots of mixed yes/no answers to my "can I pull my truck" question.
I soon learned that most of the no's or "don't know" answers were driven by the "I don't want to be sued" mentality that pervades the US way of thinking.

Your right im not originally from the US, im from a country that has the reputation of being able to build anything with number 8 fencing wire, New Zealand.
Anyway that's a different subject and hey im not trying to offend anyone I love the US and the people, after all a married a southern belle.

Ok so back to the issue.

You CAN tow you truck in "N" neutral for up to around 200 miles at a time.
It should then be unhooked, started and taken for a short drive "5 mins" is fine, just to lube the trans internals again.

We have just pulled our 2wd Silverado from Las Vegas to Missouri over three weeks, we only averaged about 200 miles a day anyway, so stopping and running the truck was not an issue,
If I felt we were going further we would just unhook the truck from the Blue Ox tow rig and go for a quick squirt around the local town or area.

If we had stopped over night and had not run the truck the end of the previous day, I would unhook it and go for a burn before re-hooking it and then pulling it for the new day.

Since arriving back in Mo just over a week ago I thought id drop the trans pan, check the filter and fluid and see if there were any tell tale signs of wear from this exercise.

The results justified my initial investigations, no adverse affects to the trans components, filters or fluid.

We have been driving the truck daily since, on both highways, interstates and suburban streets and the trans performs as good as it did prior to being pulled from Vegas.
We had driven the truck down to Las Vegas to pick up the RV and have noticed NO difference in the trucks behavior.

The truck is easy to pull behind our V10 bounder 34 gaser and tracks really well, we also did not notice any effect on the front tires as a result of being used as a toad.

Hope this helps
Happy Towing
honkytonkinn is offline   Reply With Quote