Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
tow a Subaru Forester?

Hello, Is anyone out there towing a Subaru Forester. From what we understand a manual tranny is required according to the 2012 Dinghy Guide. We just bought a 2007 30 ft. Monaco Monarch , & as soon as I sale my truck we are buying a tow vehicle. We had a Subaru in the past and liked it and the Forester is in our price range. Gary & Suzy Bennett
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #2

We tow a 2009 Forester that we purchased used with 38,000 miles in the fall of 2011. It is a manual transmission. I installed he baseplate and did all the wiring myself. Here is a link to more pictures. Click here.
Etrailer has everything you need. Website

We like the Subaru very much, 26-27 MPG plenty seating for four adults and plenty of room for Home Depot trips when you fold down the back seat. I did not go with the XT (turbo) because I do not want to pay the premium for gas. It tows behind the motorhome without any issues.

Best of luck with your findings and let me know if you have any more questions.

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 33V & 2009 Subaru Forester by Gene Martel's, on Flickr
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Go for it! Great cars.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We have towed a manual 08 Forester for almost 100,000 miles with no issues. Car is large enough for us to travel with two mountain bikes mounted in the back and still have one side of the rear seat up.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #5

I agree with others. We towed an earlier model Forester, 2002 for a short time and now tow an Outback. In our opinion, Subarus make excellent toads. No restrictions at all, no add-ons, etc. ...AWD is nice to have also. They are extremely reliable cars mechanically, too. From strictly a mechanical standpoint, we've had absolutely no issues with Subarus at all.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with everyone above. We had a 2005 Outback and loved it. We only sold it because it was an automatic and wasn't towable. Could not convince DW to buy another one with a stick. She was adamant about having an automatic. Hence the Jeep.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All Subies with AWD manual transmissions are towable 4-down, except for the new roadster (and it might be, just don't know for sure) I have an email from the company attesting to that because I contacted them prior to buying my 2012 Impreza.
Here is the email:

Dear Mr. Rafferty:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web Site and for your interest in a 2012 Subaru Impreza.

AWD Subaru vehicles with manual transmission can be towed with all four wheels on the ground and the transmission in neutral.
When towing a manual transmission 2012 Impreza behind your motorhome, you would want the transmission in neutral and the key in the 1st position from "OFF." As all new models are equipped with digital odometers, mileage will not accumulate when being towed.

Thanks again for your interest in Subaru products. Have a great weekend, Burns.

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
Service Request #1-1980576722

[THREAD ID:1-WR6MS3]

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 4/12/2012 04:35:18 PM
To: CustDlrServices@subaru.com
Subject: (SR #:1-1980576722) Product Information

Hi - I am interested in the 2012 Impreza. My wife and I own an motorhome and I need to know if the 2012 Impreza (manual transmission) is flat-towable (all 4 wheels on the ground @ 60mph) behind the motorhome and what, if any, restrictions there are. I'm not sure the salesperson really understood the question I asked.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #8

It's good to hear that you confirmed with the manufacturer before you bought to make sure, baraff. Many don't follow through in that manner and run into problems later.

Subaru used to openly advertise and promote that their AWD manual transmission cars were towable. I don't see that as much anymore. Back ten years ago or so they had a big article in their in-house magazine about flat towing behind a motorhome so we didn't even question or confirm with the corporate office to get "permission." And Subies have always been listed on the Motorhome Magazine dinghy list. Only manufactures who give explicit permission are on that list.

That new BRZ will not be towable without some modification (disconnect, lube pump, or something) because it is rear wheel drive --RWD-- as a true sports car should be.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
KIX

We have an '04 Forester and occasionally tow it.
absolutely no problems. It is a very well-made vehicle.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr4 View Post
We have towed a manual 08 Forester for almost 100,000 miles with no issues. Car is large enough for us to travel with two mountain bikes mounted in the back and still have one side of the rear seat up.
We have a new Outback replacing a 1999 Outback towed for 80000 perfectly
I'd be interested in putting mountain bikes in back also
Can you tell me what brand bikes do you own to be able to do it.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to all, Good info on the Subaru. We checked quite a few of the tow vehicles including the Jeep Lieberty and the Subie came out tops in all of our "wishlist" catagories, including mileage. When we lived in Colorado we had a CJ7 and a 1986 Subaru wagon. The Subie had more undercarriage clearance than I had on the jeep. My wife went off the freeway (I-70) in the Subey in a snow blizzard, slid down to the bottom ravine, she put it in low and powered on up and back on the freeway. Sold on Subeys...........
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We tow a 2013 Outback that replaced a 2003 Outback. We are very happy with it and have zero problems towing it.