Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
Freightliner Owners Club
tow angle suggestions please

I have a 6-6 1/2 inch diff between my toad baseplate and my receiver hitch on my mh. Should I get a 4 or a 6 inch drop receiver to make for safe towing,

I have an alpha blue ox towbar attached to my 08 jeep liberty.

Does any drop receiver work or should I stay with blue ox products.

Also my alpha tow bar is rated at 6500lbs. Is a 5000lb. receiver OK?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

08 Itasca Sunova
08Jeep Liberty

tipaulfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Hi tipaulfla,
The tow bar should be level with the ground. If the 6" drop gets you the closest, go for it.

Purchase any brand name drop with the correct weight rating.

It all depends on the weight of the Liberty. Each component of the towing solution must be able to handle the weight you are towing. This includes the coach itself. Please make sure the weight of the coach and installed hitch will handle the towed vehicle.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not familiar with Blue Ox Alpha tow bar--I use Blue Ox which stays on my coach and it specifies no more than a four inch drop from receiver to baseplate. MY CR-V is even across so no drop is needed. In the case of my truck which I tow occassi0onally I need a whopping six inch drop and it still takes about three on the tow bar to reach the baseplate. YOu should be able to find the specs on your Alpha by calling or on the Blue Ox website.

I have been happy with my Blue Ox set up---I have no reason to change. Had it nine years and about 45,000 miles of towing trouble free---maintenance is easy.

As to your receiver it depends on how much weight you are towing, up to 5000 pounds in your case---the set up is only as good as the weakest point----it cannot hurt to have a heavier capacity receiver----but it can hurt to tow over any of the limits of your equipment.

If I had a wish I think I wish I had ordered the 10,000 pound Blue Ox hitch---it was cheaper----but mine was lighter-----I leave it on the motor home anyway so it turns out how light it was was not a big factor. Even so I tow at about 3,500 pounds for my CR-V well within the range.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
I agree with Gary, the 6" drop receiver would be better because the tow bar should be as level as possible.

That being said, if your coach has a long rear overhang, the longer drop receiver may drag. If you think that is going to be a problem, you may want to hedge your bet and go with the 4" drop. The 6" would be better, but 4" will get you into the acceptable range (less than 4" height difference) with less likelihood of dragging.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two items: FIrst: The six is the best,, HOWEVER before you go drop receiver shopping, LOAD THE MOTOR HOME.. Mine dropped a few inches when loaded and the result was the drop the dealer sold me had to be replaced with a shorter one.

(I got the shorter one from a small outfit in Pender, NE.... Yup, Blue Ox, Factory Direct)

The second item:

What is the rating on your hitch assembly,, Not just the receiver but more importantly the brackets that connect the cross bar the receiver is welded to to the frame rails.. Turns out mine were only rated for 5,000 pounds.. Now I was towing way less than that so I should be OK, right?

NOT with the drop receiver,,, IT torqued those brackets into obliviion and dropped my towed.

Thankfully I had the US gear brake system installed, and properly adjusted so the secondary damage was around 50 cents. (my drop adapter is customized with a "Tong" for a ball type hitch, my bicycle rack mounts on that.. The tong bent, that was the only secondary damage.. We got to our campground, I parked the motor home, "Dropped' the towed, backed it up, got out the tow strap, hooked one end to the towed's receiver (Safety chain hole) and the other to the bike rack, had my wife drive straight ahead (I had positioned the car) a bit, And when she backed up the verticle post on the bike rack was once again verticle.. Got it right in one try)
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by paz View Post
That being said, if your coach has a long rear overhang, the longer drop receiver may drag. If you think that is going to be a problem, you may want to hedge your bet and go with the 4" drop. The 6" would be better, but 4" will get you into the acceptable range (less than 4" height difference) with less likelihood of dragging.
Another alternative to using a large drop receiver: Lift the Jeep Liberty.

A lift would be more expensive than a drop receiver, but would look cool and allows larger tires. Depends on what you want to do with the Liberty.

A couple of pointers to Liberty Lifts:
The BEST KJ Jeep Liberty lift on the market
Liberty Lift Kits at Morris 4x4 Center

NOTE: I'm not totally serious about this, but it is an alternative.

My Jeep is lifted and my RV has a long overhang with a high hitch receiver. I run a 2" rise on my tow bar. I should get a picture of this.
2002 35R Southwind, W22 8.1L Vortec UltraPower, 19.5' wheels
Toad: Wrangler, lifted and on 35" tires
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any drop receiver will significantly reduce the towing capacity, so make sure the drop receiver you chose is still within the Liberty's weight range. The bigger thew drop, the more weight reduction, so that might force you to 4' vs 6".
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
If I were going to be obliged to use a drop receiver, I would definitely use a dual U bolt immobilizer. Blue Ox makes this gizmo. It will hold the drop steady and help reduce the movement of all the tow bar gear.

Immobilizer II, 2 1/2" Receiver Hitch Immobilizer
Prevents looseness and sway. Keeps towbars, drop receivers, bike racks, and more from rattling in your receiver hitch.

I'm using the immobilizer device right on my Aladdin at the moment w/o a drop bar because the attachment point on my 2008 Vue is almost a straight line from the car to the motorhome. I do have a 4" BO drop bar at the moment which is out of service not required. The connection between the receiver and the tow bar is practically rigid and that's a good thing.

Cardinal rule; Less tow gear between the car and motorhome is More.

03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote