Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #1

Tow backwards

I have Chevy Colorado I would like to tow. Its a rear wheel drive. Can I tow this with a tow dolly? My other vehicle is a Toyota highlander front wheel drive so I assume that is no problem.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #2

Obviously its done all the time by tow truck drivers, but its not recommended. The steering wheels needs to be locked by a means other than the lock, because the caster causes the wheels to want to go any way but straight.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #3

A drive-shaft disconnect would solve the problem on the Colorado. I thought the Highlander was full-time awd.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Towing forward presents a toe in, towing backwards would present a slight toe out.

Obviously you would need to tie/lock the steering wheel.

I'm not sure how the toe out would effect high speed handling.

I seen this once while traveling, someone had an F150 (or something) backwards on the dolly, They were heading the other way.

Rent a Uhaul dolly and try it. :-)

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:48 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Every tow dolly manufacturer and rental agency says not to do it, but I still see it being done. I wouldn't do it and don't mention that that's what you want to do if trying to rent a dolly for a trial. We have a KarKaddy 460 and our '05 Odyssey is right at it's limits as far as capacity and track width.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:56 PM   #6

Tow backwards

I would do the modifications to tow it forward. So, you can't do that now? The drive shaft disconnect system is fairly straightforward, until it gets rusty. Do you have a tow dolly already? I would be concerned about towing backwards. Maybe check out the Remco towing kit.

http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towin...ubePumpKit.php

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 03-31-2015, 07:30 AM   #7

Thanks for the info. Looking more like the best thing would be a car hauling trailer. By the time you buy the lube pumps its allmost the price of a trailer and according to u-haul the highlander is too heavy for a tow dilly
Old 03-31-2015, 08:27 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most RWD vehicles can be towed backwards but there is a catch...THIS IS IMPROTANT

The steering wheel lock is NOT strong enough for backward towing...You must secure the wheel by other means Now if I were setting up to tow backwards often.. I would design something to lock the wheel with.. But as it is the default is stout rope.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:36 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your choice.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 AM   #10

I towed a 97 Geo Tracker backward for several years. Doable, but a PITA. Traded the Tracker for one I could tow flat and sold the dolly. So much easier and safer..
Old 08-11-2015, 01:00 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Most RWD vehicles can be towed backwards but there is a catch...THIS IS IMPROTANT

The steering wheel lock is NOT strong enough for backward towing...You must secure the wheel by other means Now if I were setting up to tow backwards often.. I would design something to lock the wheel with.. But as it is the default is stout rope.
The seat belt will hold it,lol.I ran a wrecker for several years and we ALWAYS used the seat belt wrapped around the wheel and clipped in. Works great, just make sure you pull the belt all the way out then wrap it through the wheel several times to make it tight,tilt wheel can also be used to tighten it.
WRENCH18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:23 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I towed my daughters colorado backwards on my demco 460ss with no problems. Yes you do have to secure the steering wheel and be carful when turning sharp corners. When towing backwards there is more overhange and could come in contact with the MH on sharp turns.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why not go to Remco Towing (Google them) click on the Store link when it comes up on Google..

Enter the specifics of your vehicle

Odds are there is a device you can add to the truck.. Likely a drive shaft disconnect (Camping world may have one on display) This is a bit of an involved installation (they have to shorten the drivfe shaft and re-balance it) but here is how this device works.

It is a spline cluctch When it is "Engaged" (Locked/connected) the outer jacket slips over the splines on both the Drive shaft part and the Differential part, this results in the two parts being locked together and turninjg as one JUST EXACTLY AS THEY DO NOW.

in the DISCONNECTED (Towing) position the outer shaft slides off one half of the device so the drive shaft no longer is "locked" to the Differential input.. and thus you have a trailer.. it's not an automobile any more, it is a trailer,, Leave the transmission in PARK since it's not connected to the drive shaft any more.

NOTE: also doubles as an anti-theft device (Set parking brake, Put in TOW mode, Thief gets in, Breaks lock starts it up puts pedal to the metal and.. Goes no place cause the engine/transmission is NOT connnected to the wheels.. Well he might go someplace.. but he don't want to go there.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #14

Just saw this today. So there are some towing backwards. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1441760107.859357.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	106351Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1441760143.395788.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	106352Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1441760170.174413.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	106353