Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 05:57 AM   #1

Tow Bar

I bought a blue ox aladen tow bar made out of aluminum , I will be towing a 2004 jeep liberty . Has anyone had any issues with the aluminum tow bar , I know I will not be exceeding the weight limit but I was just concerned about the bar being aluminum .
rob lay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 06:37 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We've used a Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar for years with no issues. Just observe the maximum tow weight and you will be fine.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:52 AM   #3
YC1

I have been using an Aluminator for many years. No issues. I do take it apart and clean it every couple of years.

Airplanes are made out of a lot of aluminum so don't worry about the strength.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Blue Ox Aluminum bar wore out in less than 5 years and about 25000 miles. I had to buy a new tow bar as they would not warranty it. Just my experience.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
My Blue Ox Aluminum bar wore out in less than 5 years and about 25000 miles. I had to buy a new tow bar as they would not warranty it. Just my experience.
Which model was it, and what part "wore out"?

(Edit) OOPS! I just realized that it must be an Aladdin. I still wonder what wore out.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
Which model was it, and what part "wore out"?
Aladdin and it wore out where the aluminum was connected to the metal (4 places).

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #7

Good to know! I was considering one of those to replace my Aventa LX which is considerably heavier. I thought they'd have replaceable hardware at the wear points, but I guess not.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 07-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
We've used a Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar for years with no issues. Just observe the maximum tow weight and you will be fine.

X2! Used my early Sterling for 12 years & 70-70k miles. Sold on eBay for $180 with a full disclaimer. I did put a wear kit in first. Purchased a one year old (2 trips) Sterling for $400. It was the child of divorce. I've given in a good home.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob lay View Post
I bought a blue ox aladen tow bar made out of aluminum , I will be towing a 2004 jeep liberty . Has anyone had any issues with the aluminum tow bar , I know I will not be exceeding the weight limit but I was just concerned about the bar being aluminum .
Rob,
Well Sir, first off, if I'm not mistaken, that model is the same one we have and it's called the Blue Ox Aladdin. And, again, if I'm not mistaken, it's rated at 7,500 lbs. Your Liberty is far below that. In fact we have used our Aladdin now for three years, towing our present toad, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4. That truck weighs 5,300 lbs. according to the scales where we used to live.

And, most of the time, we carry an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing in the back of that truck, weighing right at 900 lbs. AND, it's loaded onto the bed of that truck via the use of a Rampage motorcycle lift/carrier and it weighs close to 300 lbs.

So, all together, using advance math, we're dragging along behind our coach, a whopping 6,500 lbs. Now, like stated, we've been towing that kind of weight for over 3 years and, over 10,000 miles in trips. The real kicker here is, IT WAS USED WHEN WE BOUGHT IT!!!!

I recently attended the WIT Grand National Rally in Forest City IA and, one of the vendors there was Blue Ox. They were scheduling the rebuilding of their tow bars for anyone that wanted it while at the rally. Well, being that there was several hundred there with Blue Ox tow bars, needless to say it was going to be days before they'd get to ours.

So, I was given a shim kit for it which, was all they were doing at that rally(I watched the tech tear down two and that's all that was done).

When I got home from the trip, I tore into that Aladdin and, thoroughly checked out all the pivot points, stress points, and, locking mechanisms. I have no idea how many miles and time was on the tow bar prior to us purchasing it off ebay but, there was absolutely nothing that was worn to the point that it was questionable whether or not this tow bar should remain in service or not.

All pivot points were in perfect shape. There were/are no cracks or signs of stress in any of the welds. The sliders and, locking mechanisms were perfect. As expected, the shims were a bit worn but, they're suppose to wear, it's designed into that bar and any of their models. So, I cleaned all the components up and, installed the new shim kit. It's now as good as brand new.

I recently acquired a Blue Ox Aventa II which, is a steel version and has a capacity of 10,000 lbs. It had a bent tube from an incident while towing and, drug along the road 'till the owner got a chance to pull over and get stopped.

I tore that whole tow bar apart too. I straightened that bent tube out, (it was only bent by two or three degrees anyway) and, did the exact same process as I did on the Aladdin. I inspected every inch, sliders, lock mechanisms, welds etc. I then purchased a shim kit (same kit as the Aladdin) for a whopping $15.00 and, rebuilt that one. Now I have two perfect tow bars.

I might sell the Aladdin just because I have a better margin of weight capacity in the Aventa II. But, I sure like the lighter weight of the Aladdin when installing and removing it.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow