Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Tow Bar?

Ok, I got a question. I have been looking around to find the best way to tow my 2006 Pontiac G6 behind my 1989 Winnebago Chieftain. This is our first time RVing and have no clue as to what were doing, but we are headed out on the road in about 30 days or so. So please help me figure out the best way to tow my car, flat 4, tow dolly or trailer? I know how much the tow dolly & trailer is going to cost me, but if you suggest flat 4 does anyone have any idea how much a tow bar is going to cost? and the pros & cons....Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can find some of you answers here: Application Charts | Remco Towing

You will need a little more information than you provided about the car.

Towing 4 down you won't have to worry about what to do with the tow dolly/trailer when you get to the camp. You will also have less weight.

Towing with a tow dolly/trailer either one will probably already have brakes/lights so you won't have to purchase them for the car to be safe.

Check the classifieds and you will find tow bars and stuff at a discount.

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Best go on the blue ox web site & see if u can get a base plate for your car & go from there, chances r u will b looking at $ 800 to 1k total, find a dealer, or sometimes u can get a deal on a bar on ebay or craigs
Old 06-20-2011, 12:18 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tow bar, base plate, supplemental braking and wiring for the lights will cost you $3 to $4 thousand if you buy it all new and have to pay to have it installed. It will be cheaper if you can find the stuff used. A tow dolly is cheaper but I would worry about storage and security.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Wife View Post
Ok, I got a question. I have been looking around to find the best way to tow my 2006 Pontiac G6 behind my 1989 Winnebago Chieftain. This is our first time RVing and have no clue as to what were doing, but we are headed out on the road in about 30 days or so. So please help me figure out the best way to tow my car, flat 4, tow dolly or trailer? I know how much the tow dolly & trailer is going to cost me, but if you suggest flat 4 does anyone have any idea how much a tow bar is going to cost? and the pros & cons....Thanks!
Here is the base plate, but you will need to find out the G6 is towable without any mods. Then you will need the tow bar, (I use the Blue Ox Aventa). Looking at your time frame It will be a challange to find used.

Blue Ox BASE PLATE BX3231 fits 05-08 G6 - $370.00
Old 06-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you all so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I think we have decided to go with the Tow Dolly. I have done a little research and it does not look like 4 down would be the way to go with our car. Thanks again guys =)
Old 06-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will say this.. One of the things I like about my Damon Intruder.. If I decide to go with a tow dolly, (I prefer 4-down but ... Well, if I get another car and it's light enough.....)

Storage and security, no tribble at all,, Just unhook, push it back onto the site, back over it (The high rear end of the intruder won't bother the dolly) and chain it to the motor home.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thank you all so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I think we have decided to go with the Tow Dolly. I have done a little research and it does not look like 4 down would be the way to go with our car. Thanks again guys =)
Another option is to just rent a car when you get to where you are going "IF" you need one. That is what we do. We do plan ahead and make sure there is a rental place close or we pick up one when we get close.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The first time I took my toad with me I got caught in a situation where I had to back up and turn around Fortunately I read here on the forums never back up when towing 4 down or with dolly. DW got out, unhooked the toad and I easily turned around. Having a 4 down setup made this easy for me, but could be quite difficult with a tow dolly.
My advice, do whatever you have to do to avoid getting into a pickle.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #10

Quote:

Be sure to to check out the tow rating of the chassis. Although it comes from the factory with a hitch the chassis (depending on model) towing capacity could be rated as low as 3,500 lbs. If you're motorhome is built on GM chassis make sure to get a dolly with either electric or surge brakes. The motorhome brakes are only rated for the maximum weight that can be carried on the chassis (GVWR) + 1,500 lbs. Depending on your model that could be as little as 13,300 lbs.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Be sure to to check out the tow rating of the chassis. Although it comes from the factory with a hitch the chassis (depending on model) towing capacity could be rated as low as 3,500 lbs. If you're motorhome is built on GM chassis make sure to get a dolly with either electric or surge brakes. The motorhome brakes are only rated for the maximum weight that can be carried on the chassis (GVWR) + 1,500 lbs. Depending on your model that could be as little as 13,300 lbs.
Actually both GM and Ford require supplemental braking on ANYTHING towed if it weighs 1,500#'s or more whether you're under the GVWR or not.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Actually both GM and Ford require supplemental braking on ANYTHING towed if it weighs 1,500#'s or more whether you're under the GVWR or not.
I agree with your statement as far as the Ford built F53, 350, and 450 chassis are concerned. In the late 80's the Chieftan was built on either a GM P series chassis or an Oshkosh chassis powered with a Ford engine. I'm not sure the Oshkosh has the same limitations. None of the information published by Winnebago mentions towing capacity. Hopefully the owners manual or information on the coach will provide the necessary information.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I agree with your statement as far as the Ford built F53, 350, and 450 chassis are concerned. In the late 80's the Chieftan was built on either a GM P series chassis or an Oshkosh chassis powered with a Ford engine. I'm not sure the Oshkosh has the same limitations. None of the information published by Winnebago mentions towing capacity. Hopefully the owners manual or information on the coach will provide the necessary information.

Thanks guys! Your suggestions were very helpful, I found a tow dolly on craigslist for $600 dollars with the breaking system you mentioned. I have yet to contact them about it, but I think thats the way to go. So wish me luck!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just for your information, we towed a 07 POntiac G 6 for 30,000 KM and now are towing our 08 Pontiac G 6. Most G6 are towable with no modifications unless you have the GT or the GTP version.
The car tows great and the tow bar base plate is hardly visible when the two pins are removed.
JM2CW

2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote