Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #1

tow bar advice needed

I am looking at the Roadmaster , 6,000 lb rated tow bars. The have 3 choices, the Sterling, Falcon and StowMaster.
Each come with either the regular latch system (on each arm) or the "all-terrain" latch.
Not sure I need to pay the extra for the "all-terrain" but am looking for advice from you toad pros as to which towbar and the regular or all terrain latch??
Nick, Eugene, Oregon

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickol View Post
I am looking at the Roadmaster , 6,000 lb rated tow bars. The have 3 choices, the Sterling, Falcon and StowMaster.
Each come with either the regular latch system (on each arm) or the "all-terrain" latch.
Not sure I need to pay the extra for the "all-terrain" but am looking for advice from you toad pros as to which towbar and the regular or all terrain latch??
Nick, Eugene, Oregon
I have no experience with this particular tow bar, but 'all-terrain latch' would seem to imply to me that you would be towing off-road. In my case, I'd never tow on anything more rugged than a gravel road, and therefore would not need an all-terrain latch.

That said, I'd give the manufacturer a call, they'll be your best (and quickest) source of good information.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Have seen aluminum bind and seize so tight it could not be moved. If these are steel, then either would suit my needs.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Have seen aluminum bind and seize so tight it could not be moved. If these are steel, then either would suit my needs.
I use the stowmaster towing a mini,easy to use just get it close plenty of adjustment to hook up self centering. stow master model stays on the car or easy to remove and stow in storage bay.bought mine on craigslist for only $100.00 works great.Checked craigslist in eugene area seams to be several for sale.

good luck Rick
Old 08-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #5

I have a Falcon II and have used it for several years. It is a good, solid tow bar. The "All Terrain" feature allows hook up on uneven terrain and most important, permits connection to the toad if you are slightly off on your aim when you line up. Of course, there are units with more features, like protection of lighting cables, etc, but they cost more. My thoughts are if your toad is approaching 6,000 lbs, you should look for a stronger unit. I have owned several SUV's that were just under 6,000 lbs and would not consider towing them with this tow bar. The only maintenance is cleaning, and touch up painting.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I have the Falcon II I have towed about 5000 miles with it and it has worked well for me.Very easy to hook and unhook .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm towing about 3500lbs. I have the Sterling. I've been using it for a year (about 8000 miles) with no problems at all. I confess, I did not choose it-- though I well might have. It came from the previous owner on the MH. I keep the case over it when parked for a while, spray the cylinders with dry lube and clean it off periodically. Each leg has a pressure release, so they can be adjusted independently manually. This makes it easy to attach or disconnect, even if things are slightly out of line.

I will say, based on appearance, this towbar assembly seems noticeably more robust than many others I've seen on the road.

Hope this helped.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
We tow a 4600# truck. We originally used a Falcon (5000# cap) that was not all terrain. Now we have a Blackhawk (10000# cap) that is all terrain. The all terrain releases in all situations, straight or not. The old Falcon would only release easily if it was perfectly straight with no loads on it. That was a rare situation. Most often I had to give the release buttons a swift hit with the rubber mallet to release them.

In looking at pricing you are likely to find the highest capacity tow bar costing as much as the ones with lower capacity, thus we went with the highest capacity. It weighs slightly more, but tolerable.

Whatever unit it you get, be sure to follow the cleaning & lube instructions to insure it's performance & life.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickol View Post
Nick, Eugene, Oregon
You would be far better off to go with either the Sterling or the Falcon All Terain models. The all terrain models have a different locking mechanism that makes it easier to disconnect when the toad and the motorhome are at different heights or severe angles to one another.

When I wanted a rebuild kit for our Sterling (non- all terrain model) I had to give them the serial number. Since it was the last model of that style produced I could still get parts. The non all terrain models were discontinued back in 2005. Ours was built in Feb of 05 and is the only model that Roadmaster still supports. There are no parts available for anything with a build date older than Jan 2005. If you buy a non all terrain model you better buy it cheap and expect to replace it the first time it needs any parts or service.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #10

Thanks

Thank you all for your input on the tow bar issue. I have decided to go with the Roadmaster Sterling all terrain and the SMI braking system.

Your input was most valuable and greatly appreciated.

Have a great day and happy/safe travels!

Nick