Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tow bar & bike rack..turning clearance issues?

I'm in the process of planning my MH hookup. I have a Falcon 2 towbar and a Thule T2 bike carrier ( carries the bikes by the tires ).

Am I going to run into turning clearance issues with this setup? Or do I need to make adjustments to where the towbar mounts? I'm in the process of building my dual reciever adapter so I have some leeway here. I can move the towbar mount out some if needed, but don't want to get too far out as to cause other problems.

I will be towing a Pontiac G6 Convertible if that makes a difference.

BABrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #2

If I read the Thule site, the T2 fits into the hitch receiver and that is also where your tow-bar is supposed to connect. While I don't use the same bike carrier, I do have one that works very much the same way and I solved that by putting a hitch receiver on the CR-V that we tow and putting the bike rack there.

If I read the sheet correctly, the rack has no receiver built into it for the tow-bar? There are bike carriers that do have a built in receiver.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:10 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I put my bike rack in the reciever on the back of the toad.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
No one makes a hitch for a Pontiac G6 Convertible (sedan stuff is different) or I would mount the bike rack on it.

I'm building a "stacked" receiver adapter. What I'm worried about now is the ends of the bike rack getting into the car during sharp turns. Guess I can fab it up, then redo it if I run into a problem.

Kerry
Old 06-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #5

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Years ago I made a stacked receiver and carried my bikes and toad with no problem...can't recall ever making a turn that tight. Remember when you make the stack to leave plenty of clearance for attaching the tow bar...I didn't and was continually busting a knuckle or finger on te bike receiver.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our first day as fulltimers we hooked up the bike rack and the toad for the first time. (No, not the best planning on our part!) When we made our first right turn our camera view made it look like the toad was plowing into the bikes. But, it wasn't, thankfully!

We have a Swagman bike rack and a Blue Ox tow setup. We had an 8" drop receiver for the toad and had another receiver welded to the top to accommodate the bike rack. The hitch receiver sticks out about a foot, and the bike rack sticks out another foot. So, there is about 2 feet of clearance between the back of the rig and the bikes. That wasn't so important when we started with a gasser. But, now that we have a DP we're glad we have some space between them. (And we've flipped our drop receiver over with the change in rigs.)

What would we do differently? We'd put a bit more vertical space between the receivers. (Maybe 3 inches.) As it is now we can't put the tow bar all the way back to its stored position without taking off the bikes. So, we bungie it to the bike rack when after we unhook in a campground.

I realize this description is a bit sketchy. But, I hope it helps. If you have any questions, just ask!

Good luck,
Mary
Old 06-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I use this and it works good. Very sturdy, doesn't interfere with my Blue Ox tow bar.

RV 4" Bumper Adapter - Item - Camping World
Old 06-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well got the bike rack portion welded together yesterday. I have a 4" rise from the main bar for the bike rack. The tow bar will either mount to the main bar or below it, not sure yet till I get the baseplates mounted. This is so that I get the proper angle on the towbar.

The baseplates are supposed to be in on Monday. Then the fun begins, install baseplates and lube pump all at the same time. Hoping for a 1 day install, but allowing for 2.

Is there a way to post pics on this site? If so I'll post pics of final product next week.

Kerry
Old 06-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Yes, register with a picture hosting site like photo bucket. Then upload your photo to their site, then copy the url and past it here.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If you hit "GO ADVANCED" to get to the main editor, then scroll down a bit, there is a "MANAGE ATTACHMENTS" box that will let you upload pics directly without a different hosting site.
You do need to size them first, 700 pixels wide is good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0849.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	4312