Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Tow Bar and Brake Solutions?

We have a 43 ft. 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire with a tag axle and a 2008 Honda CR-V EX, 4-wheel drive that we plan to setup as a toad. To do so I need a tow bar, base plate and a breaking system, complete with breakaway support. I should be a proportional braking system with a dash mounted indicator light and a simple plug-in and go design (does not require placing and connecting a box in front of the driverís seat.)

I am hoping to have a complete system installed at the FMCA Rally in Redmond, OR in mid-August.

What do you consider the best solution for each of the following and why?
  1. Tow Bar & Base Plate
  2. Braking System
  3. Toad Rock Protection

Retired and livin' the RV dream!
2005 Newmar 43 ft. MADP, Cummins ISL 400HP, 2008 Honda CR-V toad
Ron_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We tow our 13 CRV with Roadmaster base plate and tow bar using an Invisibrake system. Camping World put the Invisibrake under the spare tire compartment lid. It is "plug and play. Don't have to remove/setup braking system.

Bev& Keith
Kyriana(14)Aidan(11), Emily and Olivia (2) Grandchildren
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Do a search Ron. There have been about 20 threads on this very subject over the last year or so. BTW my vote, Roadmaster Sterling bar, Roadmaster Guardian shield and SMI Air Force One brake system. Be prepared to spend some money.
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
As posted above... Read all the threads on here and you will find that people on this site overwhelmingly recommend the Ready Brute Elite... Nice rig btw...
Steve & Beth - Milton, New York
2006 Monaco Knight 38 PDQ
Ready Brute Elite-2008 Hummer H3
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 on the Ready Brute Elite. Tow bar with integrated brake. Works well, good value.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X3 on the ReadyBrute.
Jeff, Tricia, 3 kids, and the occasional dog or two
2006 Winnebago Tour 40KD, 2013 Dodge Ram TOAD
350 Cat C7, Freightliner chassis
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
1Tow Bar & Base Plate
2 Braking System
3 Toad Rock Protection[/LIST]
First, IF you have not yet purchased, and you tow OFTEN then 1 and 2 together the Ready Brute tow bar with Ready Brake Ready Stop is worthy of consideration... MAJOR issue seems to be if you do not use it often enough the cable can size up and not release the brakes, causing major damage to the towed's brakes.. But this can be avoided by working the cable by hand every time you hook up.

Else. there are many good tow bars out there, Blue-Ox is what I use, Roadmaster, and several others. I have looked at several and can not really recommend one over the other.. EXCEPT: some models "Stow" on the towed.. I do not like those, UGLY. I prefer ones that stow on the motor home.

Brakes: IF Motor home has air brakes, AND the slave fits the towed M&G is a very good system, 100% invisible to car driver when not being towed. easy hook up and unhook (air line and safety lead)

US Gear Unified Brake Decelerator,, ELectric system provides a towed charge line and the most control over towed brakes of any system made. also easy hook up One wire lead and the safety cable.

Invisible brake, NO wire hookup, just the safety lead (Break-a-way).

Several others in this range too, all invisible to the car driver.

CAUTION: make sure the dealer does not screw up the install, Mine did, cost me a brake job, rotors and all.

System in a box which fits in front of the driver's seat.
(Brake Budy, Even Brake, Apolo) I do not like these because they need to be installed EVERY tow, and removed to drive EVERY TOW, and its too easy to say "Oh forget it" for a short tow (I have had confessions of just that) not to mention making a mistake (See caution on dealer installed systems).

3: There is one that used to be called an RV Underskirt, it is a fabric mesh that goes under the tow bar between tower and towed (Motor home and towed) it is very good, best system out there in my not very humble opinion, It is sold under a different name now (Underskirt was Blue Ox's name for it) but the construciton is the same.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
Damon Owners Club
I vote for Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, and SMI Air Force One, or SMI Stay
in Play Duo (either brake system works fine on diesel pushers).
Solid metal rock guard on the back, and heavy mud flaps on the
rears have protected my toad for 56,000 without a single ding.

macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote