Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2018, 04:38 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTexas View Post
Yes bus all aired up, it's 6" higher looks like more I know so going to get

a riser Monday don't know what one to get 4-5-6 Inch.

If you determined it to be 6” then get a 6” drop and flip it around as others said. Buy a good one with a good rating maybe 10,000# or double your towed weight maybe from e-trailer but not Harbor Freight.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 07:27 AM   #16

Manual for Blue Ox Avail states 3" or less. The closer to level, the better!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTexas View Post
Just got everything hooked up with the new tow bar and toad. I was just wondering if the angle from the coach to the front of the Jeep was to much? Probably a dumb newbie question but any feedback would certainly be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
Solution here - https://www.amazon.com/Hitch-Receive.../dp/B00I486BTY
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Those are cool and all but the problem with them is if you are in any position other than the very bottom you can't add the anti rattle stabilizers. Those hitches make lots of noise. Noise that will you will hear in your rear view camera constantly.

IMO Steve Texas needs to accurately measure the difference between the coach receiver and the toad baseplate and buy a solid steel 10,000# Hi-Low hitch and two anti-rattle devices. The anti-rattlers make a huge difference in how solid and professional the entire set up works. I see guys pull in all the time and their entire hitch and towbar assembly is shaking and rattling and making all kinds of noise. A half million dollar coach sounds like it's dragging a dozen coffee cans behind it. Embarrassing.

https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-04...admaster+048-6

AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Those are cool and all but the problem with them is if you are in any position other than the very bottom you can't add the anti rattle stabilizers. Those hitches make lots of noise. Noise that will you will hear in your rear view camera constantly.

IMO Steve Texas needs to accurately measure the difference between the coach receiver and the toad baseplate and buy a solid steel 10,000# Hi-Low hitch and two anti-rattle devices. The anti-rattlers make a huge difference in how solid and professional the entire set up works. I see guys pull in all the time and their entire hitch and towbar assembly is shaking and rattling and making all kinds of noise. A half million dollar coach sounds like it's dragging a dozen coffee cans behind it. Embarrassing.

X2 It's the receiver I purchased.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post

Sorry but in all my years I've never even heard of a " anti rattle stabilizers." (Had to Look them Up)

Are you kidding me - this is not an Electric car it's a Diesel, a Big Noisy Diesel.

That said - Saving the $100.00 and getting the Proper sized fixed adjuster is the Right way, unless you are changing Toads often. ---

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #21

Tow bar angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Sorry but in all my years I've never even heard of a " anti rattle stabilizers." (Had to Look them Up)

Are you kidding me - this is not an Electric car it's a Diesel, a Big Noisy Diesel. [emoji4]

That said - Saving the $100.00 and getting the Proper sized fixed adjuster is the Right way, unless you are changing Toads often. ---

JMHO,

I'm embarrassed to admit this but it never dawned on me that DP's were noisy in the rear going down the road. I know they are noisy when pulling through campgrounds and I definitely notice coaches of all styles that have rattling hitches but I never stopped to think about the noise being transmitted through the rear view camera speaker.

I have the rear view camera speaker turned up to about 80% going down the road. I like to be able to listen for abnormal noises behind me. It's virtually silent most of the time but I can hear my tow bar if it makes a noise. I can also hear a rock or pebble bounce out from under the coach. I can definitely hear vehicles that attempt to pass me. I can usually hear them about 15' before they get to my rear bumper.

I use anti-rattle stabilizers on almost everything. I like my hitches to be solid and silent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7412.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	226571
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Tow bar angle

[SIZE="4"Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and comments but now we have a new development in the tow bar angle saga. Being the dumb newbies that we are I didn't notice the tow bar set up on the bus when we bought it. It seems the prior owner has cut off the original Tiffin Receiver and bolted and spot welded a new Receiver hitch below that. So with the Bus aired up my hitch is 12 1/2" off the ground, that's to the top of the receiver. My toad where the Blue Ox tow bar connects is 21". So I guess what I will do right now is get a 6" or 8" riser. I hate to go to high with one that's why I was thinking about a 6". Does anyone think that I could get a stock Tiffin hitch put back on it or have the one that is there moved back up and re-welded and bolted? Comments and suggestions please!
Thanks,
Steve
Here are the pictures of what they did.[/SIZE]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hinge 1.JPG
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	226640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch 2.JPG
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	226641  

SteveTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
18 inches is the standard hitch height, that would be much better. More clearance going through dips as well.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That’s way too much! 2” or less!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A "sticky" at the top of this section explains everything you need to know about tow bar angles.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/tow-b...nce-16631.html

Interesting that no one so far has mentioned this?
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #26

Something else to measure is how much rear offset you will need. If your going with an 8” riser you need to be far enough out from rear of coach.
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:08 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
When we put a 6" drop hitch on our MH we used this type of hitch stabilizer. Absolutely no noise what so ever with it and very easy to mount.

https://www.amazon.com/Hitch-Clamp-H...ct_top?ie=UTF8
TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow