Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Try etrailer

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #72

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Rokslinger; Welcome to iRV2.
The Blue Ox installation manual states , that a down slope from the toad to the motor home on the bars is not acceptable . So if you set the hitch and bars up, with a riser or drop if necessary , for the bars level with the air ride shocks deflated , then you should be fine , because up to 4 " of up slope from the toad to the coach is acceptable and I doubt the air ride shocks will lift the hitch 4".

Do I measure the slope when at full ride height (air bags inflated to drive position)?
Thanks
Jim
Old 11-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
Do I measure the slope when at full ride height (air bags inflated to drive position)?
Thanks
Jim, Quick answer ... "Yes." You want to measure the angle of the towbar/drop at its ride height.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:28 AM   #74

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Jim, Quick answer ... "Yes." You want to measure the angle of the towbar/drop at its ride height.

Thanks for the clarification. Having the dealer install my Air Force one coach (I did the car side myself) and will check everything once they are done 😀

Jim
Old 02-26-2017, 12:20 AM   #75

Do a google search for "Gen-y". They sold me one that has an extra long shank, a multiple adjustments up to 6" yet it is rated for 10,000lbs
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #76

For those of you using the NSA Ready Brute, and/or Ready Brute Elite, their recommendation is +/- 2".

From their FAQ page:

What other issues could I run into?
Tow bars need to be level to the ground when installed correctly. The National Standard for correct tow bar levelness is (+) or (-) 2" inches. This allows for a forward push by your towed vehicle. Having the tow bar too far from level puts a great deal of stress on your towing system and can also cause you to lose control of your RV in adverse conditions when heavy braking is applied. To measure levelness just subtract the difference in height of the center of your RV receiver from the ground with the height of the center of your baseplate tabs on the towed vehicle from the ground. Most baseplate brands list an approximate tab height for each vehicle on their websites if you do not have a baseplate installed to measure yet. If a drop or rise is needed we also manufacture hitches for this.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #77

wow, over a decade of posts here... looks like a good place for 2 cents...

remember that the riser/drop adapter isn't the only place to look at for strength. depending on how your bumper and hitch are attached to the frame, you may have a significant reduction in capacity if the rise or drop adds a significant amount of moment to the bumper or hitch...

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=32555

mcnugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #78

Okay, so I'm kinda in the same situation.

Jeep shackle points are ~24" off the ground. Newmar says the bottom of the receiver is 22" off the ground. Install guide for ReadyBrute Elite says I can be +/- 2" off level. Now assuming that the actual tow bar counts towards "level", I THINK I should be good, though the toad end will be a little higher than the MH.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #79

How many?

I have a spare tire hitch mounted to the rig. It has a 10,000 lb towing capacity and 400 lb mount capacity. The spare weighs about 200 lb. from the spare hitch l have the road master tow system connected to the Jeep. Problem is there is a 6” - 8” differential at an up angle from the rig to the Jeep...not good. So, is putting a hitch adapter to raise it all 6” from the RV or spare hitch adding too many hitches beteween the rig and Jeep? Rig to adapter to spare to roadmaster.
Ryanghunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #80

This is where I am at and going to go with on our first trip with the toad from GA to FL...

ReadBrute Elite with a 2013 Jeep Wrangler lifted with Smittybilt SRC bumper and a Coachmen Pursuit 31BH...

Wish me luck

2010 subaru impreza wrx 0 60
propjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:41 AM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Can you swing that adapter on the MH up? I wouldn’t tow it that way.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:36 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by propjet View Post
This is where I am at and going to go with on our first trip with the toad from GA to FL...

ReadBrute Elite with a 2013 Jeep Wrangler lifted with Smittybilt SRC bumper and a Coachmen Pursuit 31BH...

Wish me luck
With only three inches difference in height you should be fine.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:30 PM   #83

Wow! This was a lot of reading, but glad I did it. Now I'm more confused than ever. Smittybilt bumper on my 2013 JK, shackle points are 25" off the ground. Middle of hitch on MH is 16". I'm seriously thinking about the RBE towbar and braking system. So it appears I need a riser on the MH hitch. That leaves me with the hitch/riser, the brake receiver, and finally the towbar. Isn't that a lot of connection points? Would the system be safe and functional as designed?
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:58 AM   #84

Don't shortcut any expense, as you get what you pay for. Go with a tried and proven system for your toad. Get equipment compatible to your vehicle type and weight. Today I pick up my towing equipment for my F150 toad (everything rated at 10k lbs) I look at the cost of 3k as an investment and will pay for itself down the line.
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote