Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2019, 04:37 PM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
Wow! This was a lot of reading, but glad I did it. Now I'm more confused than ever. Smittybilt bumper on my 2013 JK, shackle points are 25" off the ground. Middle of hitch on MH is 16". I'm seriously thinking about the RBE towbar and braking system. So it appears I need a riser on the MH hitch. That leaves me with the hitch/riser, the brake receiver, and finally the towbar. Isn't that a lot of connection points? Would the system be safe and functional as designed?

The only extra connection point would be the riser. I think when you get into risers or drops in the 6” range go with a 10k lb. That may be all available in that range, regardless go with the greater capacity rating.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2020, 06:07 PM   #86

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I understand about the need for the towbar height to be within +/- 4" of level with the dingy and Coach, preferably a bit lower for the dingy. I have just changed my dingy from a Fusion Hybrid to a Colorado, and now have a need to make an adjustment. Before I buy anything, I want to confirm that my 'solution' is safe.
I currently have a dual receiver draw bar which I use for the tow bar in the lower (main) receiver and a bike rack in the raised receiver. This worked well with the Fusion, but the Collie base plate is much higher.
My 'solution' is to attach a 6", maybe 8" hi/lo draw bar to the Coach, insert my dual receiver draw bar into it which will level the tow bar on the Collie. Then use the upper receiver as before for the bike rack.
I really do not want to attach the bike rack to the rear of the Collie for dingy towing (I will do so when detatched going to trails/town) because it will interfere with the opening of the ARE shell over the bed.
Any thoughts, ideas, concerns would be appreciated.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:34 PM   #87

After equipment is installed on toad, measure the height of the tow bar connection point on the toad. Then measure the height of receiver on RV (center of) subtract the two and this will provide you with the rise or drop of adapter you will need, as this allows the tow bar to ride parallel to the road. Believe me you can tell the difference while you are towing if the offset is way off, so the more parallel the bar the better.
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:47 PM   #88

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgomez1976 View Post
After equipment is installed on toad, measure the height of the tow bar connection point on the toad. Then measure the height of receiver on RV (center of) subtract the two and this will provide you with the rise or drop of adapter you will need, as this allows the tow bar to ride parallel to the road. Believe me you can tell the difference while you are towing if the offset is way off, so the more parallel the bar the better.
Yes, I know all that, and I plan to do so. The Fusion was almost dead level and it towed like a dream. Of course it was much lighter than the Collie. My main concern is the use of the riser draw bar AND the dual receiver draw bar together to accomodate the towbar and the bike rack.
Any thoughts on that?
Old 03-11-2020, 07:59 AM   #89

What have u experienced in a 3-5 " offset in the tow. Understanding the recommended is 0 level but not always possible. My flair 34 is tail swept drastically and has always been an issue w towing. Using a blue ox 10" drop still have a 4" difference, prob. Doing it anyway, not really any other choice short of selling the coach or toad. Your take?
tom3855wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:15 PM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Is Ground clearance a factor?

So hear is the rub.
Toad @ 13" and coach is a @ 17" . Would you go with the 2" drop and be within the specks and have more hitch ground clearance or use the 4" drop and be just at or slightly under level but have reduced hitch ground clearance.
What is your choice?
and would it make a difference if you have an AF1 brake on the toad ?
And would toad weight VS tow bar weight rating be a factor. IE: toad #2700 tow bar rated #8000?
Old 03-26-2020, 06:02 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDiesel View Post
So hear is the rub.
Toad @ 13" and coach is a @ 17" . Would you go with the 2" drop and be within the specks and have more hitch ground clearance or use the 4" drop and be just at or slightly under level but have reduced hitch ground clearance.
What is your choice?
and would it make a difference if you have an AF1 brake on the toad ?
And would toad weight VS tow bar weight rating be a factor. IE: toad #2700 tow bar rated #8000?
Your numbers are the same as mine. I went with the 4 inch drop down hitch. I only drag the hitch once in a great while. If I had to do it all over again I would still go with the 4 inch dropdown.

My coach/toad are using the M&G Engineering system. Like the AF1 they are proportional braking systems and are designed to stop the entire toad weight. I would be more concerned about the 2 inch differential than dragging the hitch once in a while.

I don't see any problem with your hitch/toad tow bar weight/capacity number you show.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:18 AM   #92

Great info. Just a question? When the jake brake is being used on a decline are the Toad brakes being applied via the Inertia concept. The coach does buck as the jake is being used.(like the brakes being applied)
Thanks
Basketball
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:25 AM   #93

All depends on what toad braking system you are using, and what coach you have.

On my Discovery with a PAC exhaust Brake, and with my M&G Engineering toad brake system, the answer for is no. But other systems could be a yes answer.

I'm guessing on your Fleetwood coach you also have a PAC Brake and what you are feeling is the transmission downshifting when the PAC Brake comes on. If what you are feeling is the toad braking system, I suspect it is set up incorrectly and is coming on to hard.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #94

Monaco Owners Club
Didn't read all 9 pages but a couple of points:

re the height difference of the hitch points - I would venture to say that the back end of the coach is up and down SO much it's rarely level anyway, so the 3 or 4" mine is different is not and has not been a concern, even up and down 10% grades like Teton Pass !

re hitch extensions, etc:
my only concern with your solution is what is the weight of the colorado and bikes and rack versus what are the capacities of your extension and dual bar etc...

Another consideration is the movement - more connection points means more movement/flexing... MOST bike racks are not rated to be behind an rv because of all the movement...
on edit - I have the dual extension and our bikes bounced all over the place if not tied down to the coach and the hitch and together - so much so we don't bring them

good luck on your solution and here in Texas the governor says we'll be free next week (some )
Old 04-23-2020, 07:52 AM   #95

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After contacting both Blue Ox and Roadmaster, they both strongly disagree with using more than 1 receiver adapter with their tow bars. So, I went with a 6" hi/low Blue Ox receiver for a direct connection with the tow bar. The bike rack, if we decide to use it, will have to be mounted in the dingy's receiver.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #96
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny644 View Post
After contacting both Blue Ox and Roadmaster, they both strongly disagree with using more than 1 receiver adapter with their tow bars. So, I went with a 6" hi/low Blue Ox receiver for a direct connection with the tow bar. The bike rack, if we decide to use it, will have to be mounted in the dingy's receiver.
Did you happen to ask Blue Ox why they build and sell them if they do not want anyone using them?

Ray
Old 04-23-2020, 10:47 PM   #97

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't understand the question. All I took from both discussions was that only one additional receiver device should be between the tow vehicle and the tow bar. So, I just added the 6" rise receiver between the Coach and the tow bar. Roadmaster likewise did not recommend using their dual receiver with ANY hi/low receiver so as to accommodate the bike rack, even though they also manufacture hi/low receivers, too.
Using the dual receiver like I had when my Fusion needed no additional vertical adjustment along with the bike rack was no longer safe and recommended when I needed the additional 6" rise, according to both mfrs.
I hope this clarifies THEIR view of a safe tow bar setup, and I have no inclination of ignoring their professional advice.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:16 PM   #98

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would like to further clarify my posts regarding the 'contact' with the two mfrs. I emailed both their technical departments and received very clear emailed answers to my queries to which I have referred above.