Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:43 AM   #1

Tow Bar Attachment

I'm in installing yet another set of baseplates, and again am amazed that there are 8 3/8 inch grade 5 bolts to hold the base plate and the class 3 receiver hitch welded to my motor home. All this sounds very secure. Now we connect the tow bar to the motor home with 1 3/4 inch pin. which part of this is over engineered? Or am I missing something?

johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2016, 12:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy2 View Post
I'm in installing yet another set of baseplates, and again am amazed that there are 8 3/8 inch grade 5 bolts to hold the base plate and the class 3 receiver hitch welded to my motor home. All this sounds very secure. Now we connect the tow bar to the motor home with 1 3/4 inch pin. which part of this is over engineered? Or am I missing something?
johnboy2
Methinks you measured wrong.... (a 5/8 inch diameter hitch pin is used to connect a tow bar to the class III receiver hitch on most motor homes).
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 03-31-2016, 01:02 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
It's all in the metallurgy and in the difference between compression and shear forces. You're not missing anything.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:20 PM   #4

I know about shear all the baseplate bolts are in shear as is the pin there for the base plates must have a huge CYA safety margin. 3/8 gd 5 8200 lb shear
Old 03-31-2016, 02:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
JohnBoy2,
You know why my baseplate is held on with 8x grade 8 bolts? Cause they don't make a grade 9 bolt. Now I'm all worried about my one hitch pin.....thanks ~~~:{
(I hate smart people)
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:33 AM   #6

Threw away all the Grade 5 junk fasteners that came with my baseplate and used Grade 8 with hardened flat washers instead of the split lockwashers. Doubled the integrity of the joints. Split lockwashers were proven to be worse than useless back in the 70's.
jmckinley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #7

All your grade 8 upgrades you could even weld It are still being held to the coach with 1 pin. holding the tow bar to the coach. what grade is that pin?
Old 04-03-2016, 08:10 PM   #8

Grade 8 bolts are not necessarily better than grade 5 bolts. The higher the grade, the harder the bolt but that also means it is more brittle and more prone to break instead of bending. Bolt grades are recommended for a reason.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If you follow the directions for installation regarding hole size, torque etc you shouldn't waste your time worrying.

The design engineers probably spent many a restless night wondering what they missed, overlooked or took for granted. The liability associated with these products is huge so I'll guarantee that they are designed to exceed the requirements.

I'd say the even take into account the installation knowing that some people don't know what they are doing. They could have probably gotten by with 4 bolts but doubled it for the "You can't fix stupid" factor.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
If you follow the directions for installation regarding hole size, torque etc you shouldn't waste your time worrying.

The design engineers probably spent many a restless night wondering what they missed, overlooked or took for granted. The liability associated with these products is huge so I'll guarantee that they are designed to exceed the requirements.

I'd say the even take into account the installation knowing that some people don't know what they are doing. They could have probably gotten by with 4 bolts but doubled it for the "You can't fix stupid" factor.

Agree. I would install per the directions rather than second guessing the design engineering that went into it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
JohnBoy2,
You know why my baseplate is held on with 8x grade 8 bolts? Cause they don't make a grade 9 bolt. Now I'm all worried about my one hitch pin.....thanks ~~~:{
(I hate smart people)
Ah, but they do.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:32 PM   #12

Quote:
What is the gauge of the steel the base plate bolts to. Pretty thin, I would think.

If it was as thick as the hitch, it would have 2 bolts.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #13

Now that makes sense, the thin car frame.

Thanks John
Old 04-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I used factory supplied bolts for all of my base plates....they all out lasted the tow bar.....it snapped in half.

brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow