Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:56 AM   #1

I'm looking for a bike rack that can be installed on the tow bar of our class A but still be able to tow the car. Any down side to this kind of set up ?
Thanks, Greg

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2008, 05:56 AM   #2

I'm looking for a bike rack that can be installed on the tow bar of our class A but still be able to tow the car. Any down side to this kind of set up ?
Thanks, Greg

Old 04-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #3

Not sure about that, but I put a hitch on my CRV and bought a bike rack that goes on it and tow with my bikes on the car. No problems so far, and I have towed 5,000 miles with it.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:39 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oldpa:
Thanks, Greg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something like this?

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdo...eceiver/skunum=34685

As long as you can get the bottom receiver to be the proper height for your tow bar, I'd guess you'd be good.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I considered the hitch set up on the Coach but was told that every 12" of extension reduces the towing capacity by 30%. Based on that I chose to put a receiver on my CRV and attach the bike rack to it.

I am sure someone with more knowledge will correct me if I am wrong.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #6

I think that adding an extention lowers the 'pin weight' (perpendicular capacity) not the 'towing weight' (inline capacity). Since a towed car does not have much pin weight (just the weight of the tow bar), it should be ok to use an extention to carry bicycles and tow the car. Of course, the extention should be avoided if you ever go to tow a trailer, since those do tend to have significant pin weight.

The link from Offthewall seems to be a worthy alternative.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:50 PM   #7

Offthewall & John 66, before you purch from CW check out Item #330685-1806 on page 270 of Northern Tool catalog---also can be seen on their website at www.northerntool.com. Theirs is a lot sturdier and is only $59.95 plus S & H. I have one and it works well with plenty of clearance for tow bar or dolly application. The bottom 2" receiver is in direct line with coach receiver and upper 2" receiver for the bike rack is about 4" to 6" higher. Any bike rack that will work in a 2" receiver will work in this dual hitch extension, Ken,'04 DSDP...
Old 04-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2 bike rack that fits in front of the towed car.It uses a short extension piece. We use it whenever we tow our Cavalier. We can put our bikes on a rack behind our van. The bikes have been towed 46,000 miles in front of the car with no problems.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Roberts:
Offthewall & John 66, before you purch from CW check out Item #330685-1806 on page 270 of Northern Tool catalog---also can be seen on their website at www.northerntool.com. Theirs is a lot sturdier and is only $59.95 plus S & H. I have one and it works well with plenty of clearance for tow bar or dolly application. The bottom 2" receiver is in direct line with coach receiver and upper 2" receiver for the bike rack is about 4" to 6" higher. Any bike rack that will work in a 2" receiver will work in this dual hitch extension, Ken,'04 DSDP... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not purchasing, I was just suggesting for the OP. We carry the bikes on a hitch mounted rack on the toad.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #10

I've got Roadmaster 10K All terrain with CW 2-bike rack mounted on the hitch. All work great. Can get to hitch under rack just fine. Only problem is some wobble in connection that can't be eliminated with the bracket made for that. Will try metal shim next.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #11

We towed with an extension on the back of the MH to accomdate the bike rack and made a mess of the bikes (road dirt, diesel soot, etc.). We just put a receiver on the back of the HHR toad (cheaper than a roof rack). If you have a DP you cannot put a cover on the bikes so it just made more sense to move the bikes to the back of the car.

2006 TourMaster
Johnnie and Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote