Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #1

Tow Bar - Blue Ox Alpha or Aventa

Been looking at a tow set up for my 2014 CRV and have decided to go the Blue Ox route. The Blue Ox Alpha is more than adaquate for a CRV being rated at 6500 pounds. The Aventa is a 10K capability, but it seems to have much better features. There is also a price difference that's not insignificant.

Looking for comments from people with experience with either or both.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #2

Aventa, I feel better with the extra security of a heavier tow bar. Got mine from
Rvpartscountry.com
Doesnt always pop up on searches and they seem to have the best prices. Got mine on sale last year for $550. Just looked and their price is $699.
I can hook and unhook in 5-10 minutes by myself including set up the RVibreak2.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanibelview View Post
Aventa, I feel better with the extra security of a heavier tow bar. Got mine from
Rvpartscountry.com
Doesnt always pop up on searches and they seem to have the best prices. Got mine on sale last year for $550. Just looked and their price is $699.
I can hook and unhook in 5-10 minutes by myself including set up the RVibreak2.
I agree 100%. For the few extra bucks it's a much better bar.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #4

All things being equal (or almost) bigger is better. And you may someday go to a heavier toad. Aventa
Old 09-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Had an Aventa for 10+ years, but never an Alpha. From what I can see in the photos, the Alpha appears to lack the swivel ball, so it doesn't compensate for side-to-side tilt as well. May bind under some conditions where the Aventa does not. Probably not a big deal, but it's a difference (other than weight rating).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Had an Aventa for 10+ years, but never an Alpha. From what I can see in the photos, the Alpha appears to lack the swivel ball, so it doesn't compensate for side-to-side tilt as well. May bind under some conditions where the Aventa does not. Probably not a big deal, but it's a difference (other than weight rating).
We have the Alpha. It fully articulates, just does not have the swivel ball. My father has an old Aventa and it uses the same method to swivel as the Alpha. The ball swivel is relatively new and I hate the way it works.
But we tow a 3000 pound Scion. LOL
Old 09-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #7

Just my opinion, but the 1st time you have to disconnect in a full lock turn, you will appreciate the extra money spent.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:34 PM   #8

Yea, that's why I think I'm going Aventa.

I notice you have the Patriot brake. I was going to get that also. I'm assuming you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Just my opinion, but the 1st time you have to disconnect in a full lock turn, you will appreciate the extra money spent.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Yea, that's why I think I'm going Aventa.

I notice you have the Patriot brake. I was going to get that also. I'm assuming you like it.

Yes, I do like the Patriot. It's only disadvantage is having to set it up and remove it each time you tow but on the other hand it can be switched from one vehicle to another without any mods. As advertised, it is a truly proportional braking system.

This is actually my 2nd unit. The first one failed due to an internal battery problem. We were on the road to Alaska at the time and in conversation with BlueOx they said it had to go back to the factory. After some discussion, I explained our situation and they agreed to send a new unit to our next stop prepaid. They billed my card full price and when I returned the old one (prepaid also) they credited 2/3 of the price back to my card. I thought this was very fair after four years of use.
The new one is a much better device than the old one. Easier and quicker setup and a new designed claw that claps to the brake pedal.

Tags
blue ox, tow, vent