Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Yesterday, about 4:30pm on I-287E near White Plains, NY exit 8, the drop hitch on my Demco Tow Bar broke in half. I was in my 5 day old new HR Neptune towing my Ford Sport Trac.

Road at this point was 3 lanes flanked by Jersey barries immediately on both sides. I was in the right lane and had to drive about a 1/4 mile with the toad hanging on by the safety chains before I could safely pull over. Thank God the toad did not sideswipe the cars in the center lane or the barrier to my right.

Damage to the MH and toad was very, very minor. Bottom center of rear cap has paint scraped just below the grill opening and the bottom left corner is slightly pushed in. To see it you have to be looking from the side. No other visible damage to the MH. Toad damage is a paint scraping below the driver's side headlight, an "L" shaped (2" x2") crack in the plastic bumper on the passenger side and a bent license plate.

Drop hitch on the Demco Excali-Bar snapped in half inches away from the receiver hitch. Both arms were still locked but dragging on the ground. Only thing holding the toad to the MH were the safety chains. Break away switch was also connected but since the toad didn't get far enough away it didn't activate the toad brakes.

Thankfully both vehicles were driveable so after disconnecting what was left, DW drove the toad and I drove the MH the remainder of our trip home.

Considering what could have happen on that road during rush hour traffic, some would say I was very lucky. I'd prefer to praise God for His protection.

Just received notice that my 2 pictures were approved so I'll post when I remeber how to do it.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yesterday, about 4:30pm on I-287E near White Plains, NY exit 8, the drop hitch on my Demco Tow Bar broke in half. I was in my 5 day old new HR Neptune towing my Ford Sport Trac.

Road at this point was 3 lanes flanked by Jersey barries immediately on both sides. I was in the right lane and had to drive about a 1/4 mile with the toad hanging on by the safety chains before I could safely pull over. Thank God the toad did not sideswipe the cars in the center lane or the barrier to my right.

Damage to the MH and toad was very, very minor. Bottom center of rear cap has paint scraped just below the grill opening and the bottom left corner is slightly pushed in. To see it you have to be looking from the side. No other visible damage to the MH. Toad damage is a paint scraping below the driver's side headlight, an "L" shaped (2" x2") crack in the plastic bumper on the passenger side and a bent license plate.

Drop hitch on the Demco Excali-Bar snapped in half inches away from the receiver hitch. Both arms were still locked but dragging on the ground. Only thing holding the toad to the MH were the safety chains. Break away switch was also connected but since the toad didn't get far enough away it didn't activate the toad brakes.

Thankfully both vehicles were driveable so after disconnecting what was left, DW drove the toad and I drove the MH the remainder of our trip home.

Considering what could have happen on that road during rush hour traffic, some would say I was very lucky. I'd prefer to praise God for His protection.

Just received notice that my 2 pictures were approved so I'll post when I remeber how to do it.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club

Old 05-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">some would say I was very lucky. I'd prefer to praise God for His protection. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed.

What make is the drop hitch?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> What make is the drop hitch?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe it is also a Demco.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #6

BOB: That sure was an "exciting" Maiden Voyage. Thankfully, you and others were not injured. All the rest can be fixed with a liitle $$ and some aggravation. Sorry you had the problem, but I'm sure you know it "could" have been much worse. You must have had some steady hands and gentle braking technique to bring it all to a stop without serious damage to coach or toad. Remarkable! ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Surprising to me that the shank was hollow. When we were towing with a dropped hitch, the bar was solid.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are very lucky or the Good lord was watching out for you!
I have never seen a drop hitch break like that. And I've never seen a solid bar either except when it's a 1 1/4" hitch.
Were you're toad brakes grabbing or locking up to cause this?
I can't tell for sure from the pic but did that break at the weld or right in the middle of the 2" tube?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I just purchased a Roadmaster 8" drop hitch that I have to use as a riser to match the height of my pickup. It weighs 28 pounds and the stinger is solid steel. The riser has very wide welds and a gusset between the stinger and upper 2" receiver. It has a sticker on the unit that claims a capacity of 10,000 pounds towing and 400 pounds vertical weight load.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Bob...
All I can really say is...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:05 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
You are very lucky or the Good lord was watching out for you!
I have never seen a drop hitch break like that. And I've never seen a solid bar either except when it's a 1 1/4" hitch.
Were you're toad brakes grabbing or locking up to cause this?
I can't tell for sure from the pic but did that break at the weld or right in the middle of the 2" tube? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the confusion over solid vs. hollow drop receiver is due to the fact that this was a Demco proprietary "drop receiver hitch" which replaces the stinger on the Demco tow bar. I and others are used to the solid 2" drop receivers like the Blue Ox. Looks like a pretty flimsy arrangement to me. How old was this tow bar? The current Demco product looks a lot beefier.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I would buy a Blue Ox drop bar from RVupgrades.com iRV2.com's primary sponsor!

Here: <span class="ev_code_BLUE">Blue Ox Drop Receivers</span>

RV Upgrades drop receivers are less filling and taste great!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #13

I, like some of the other replyers was surprised to see the hollow stinger. Mine is a solid piece of steel -- I think a Roadmaster drop receiver like described above -- solid stinger and steel plate welded where the drop is. Would recommend them very highly. It is heavy but worth the weight.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:46 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Bob,
Yikes!
Glad to hear no major damage & no one was hurt!
Someone was looking out for you.

Love the new sig!
When your nerves settle, lets see some pics of that new rig.