Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&SL View Post
In the Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Yoke.
Just wondering what you think about the (¾" bolt color-coded blue #350199-00) it is used in the yoke assembly? Because you do not think that two 1/2" hitch bolts are not heavy enough for the almost 6000 lb weight.
Curt
IMO the 3/4" pins would be much sturdier than the 1/2".
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowayout View Post
On the other hand, my 2007 Avalanche does have ~180,000 miles on it...maybe it is time to "lose" it!
Old 07-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #17

Guys I spend a lot of time in Wally world and don't trust anybody when it comes to the toad hookup so I use Blueox locks and have never had a problem towing the Silverado. Never in the 40+ years have I used clips on the toad reason being I got home from a trip towing the boat and found the clip holding the hitch pin in missing. OMG someone was looking over us, the Aquasport never passed the motorhome on interstate 95.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
Guys I spend a lot of time in Wally world and don't trust anybody when it comes to the toad hookup so I use Blueox locks and have never had a problem towing the Silverado. Never in the 40+ years have I used clips on the toad reason being I got home from a trip towing the boat and found the clip holding the hitch pin in missing. OMG someone was looking over us, the Aquasport never passed the motorhome on interstate 95.
LOL Ray, well I guess I am a bit hard headed since it has taken TWO incidents where the pin did actually come out for me to learn my lesson...
Old 07-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
I do have a VERY valid reason...I'm waiting like a kid waits for Christmas to order my new 2015 F150 with a 2.7L Ecoboost!

I am hoping that:
A)The 2.7 ecoboost will get close to 30mpg (OK, I'd live with 25-27...) and not feel like I am driving a Yugo,
B) That the 2015 F150 will be flat towable without a lot of hassle or addons,
C)That my Avalanche holds on until the estimated F150 delivery date of December 2014!

Wish me luck!
Old 07-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Wish me luck!
Best of luck.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
LOL Ray, well I guess I am a bit hard headed since it has taken TWO incidents where the pin did actually come out for me to learn my lesson...
I am wondering if they actually fell out or if you just happened to get a pin that was a bit softer and it broke before falling out. I am getting my 2012 F150 set up to be towed this week and am going with the 10,000lb RoadMaster and invisa brake. Going to start fresh even though the older Roadmaster is still serviceable as is the brake system. (that was Roadmaster as well. Towed with it over 50,000 miles)
Old 07-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Pigman, you have a similar setup to me (DP with a tag axle and towing a full sized pickup). Which Blue Ox are you using?
If you had to do it again, would you buy the same?

I want to make sure I am not romanticizing the merits of the Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 more that it deserves. Is there any reason to NOT go with the Roadmaster?
In fact. NO. I had a lot of problem with the base plate. On an Alaska trip the pieces that went into the frame repeatedly came loose and had to be re-tightened. I installed the base plate pieces EXACTLY as Blus Ox instructions specified. We found the thru frame bolts were actually thinning the Chevy box frame and causing repeated looseness. In addition, the removable pins were bent about 3/16" out of alignment and the frame began to crack at the front edge on both sides.

I fully described the problem to Blue Ox with emails, pictures and phone calls and they refused to accept any responsibility or even recommend a fix. I think the problem was caused by Blue Ox not using hardened washers to spread the bolt and nut head loads on the truck frame. I solved it by precision drilling 1/4" bar stock doublers for each side of the frame, bolting the system up and having a certified local welding shop welding them to the truck frame. No further problems.

The Aventa LX has some shortcomings as well. Although the ball is a novel idea, the spacer washers seem to wear somewhat easily and the arms then become loose. Further the attach arms are made of a material that wears easily too. I have had to use steel shim material to tighten the bolts as they loosen due to wear of the bar, not the bolts.

We drive a lot of miles (20,000+ mi per year) and the truck carries a lot of "stuff" so we'll see wear before the average 3000 mile driver. I do have the towbar checked and serviced annually at Quartzsite.

Actually, I was looking hard at the Roadmaster you were looking at. My only concerns is how to put it on the truck that has already been set up for the Blue Ox. I also would like to see it before I buy. Perhaps Quartzsite this winter.

I don't envy you your decision. Not an easy chore to get through the ad guy's BS and get real world facts. Good luck and safe travels.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have towed my 3/4 diesel with the Blue Ox Aventa LX, never had a pin come loose, or any other issues. I would think if their was an issue a 3/4 ton diesel weighing what it does would have it way before anything lighter, but then again, maybe it is because it is lighter. I saw in a post you mentioned your pins did not look like the ones in the brochure, I wonder if you had the right stuff if that would fix it?
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My blue ox units use a pin that has only "Failed" me once (and to be honest I might have messed it up) it is not a hairpin,

This is a straight pin with a round spring steel Ring attached to it's head, Snapped closed there is nearly no way for it to come loose.

On one short tow, I found the pin was NOT snapped closed when I arrived, It was, however, still there, NO loss no damage.

An alternative is locking pins, Blue OX sells them no way to they come off w/o the key in the lock.

The only failure I have had is with the receiver, That one had a hairpin, and .. Well you guessed it, it came out, I think I know why but the replacement is locked in place Two pins (Drop hitch) you need a key a wrench and a pair of pliers to dissassembly/disconnect.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #25

x2 on the Locking Pins!!!!!!!
Blue Ox sells them in a three piece kit, all keyed alike - BX88101

Just verify the pin sizing (1/2" for the Baseplates and 5/8" for the receiver)
Old 07-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Interesting! Yes that is a linch pin (I incorrectly called it a lynch pin above) That may have very well prevented an issue. Of course I never did read the manual... (does anyone??? ) Thanks for finding that!

My Blue Ox did not come with that kind of pin. It was "new/unused" from a 3rd party, did not include the box or manual and was not directly from Blue Ox, so they obviously got lost somehow.

I also like the idea of a locking pin that would give security in general.

The tow bar arm that came loose on my Blue Ox in the last failure has some damage in that the telescopic function is not working, (it won't retract and stays fully extended) so it is probably bent. I could probably get it repaired, but my inclination is to replace the whole tow bar assembly and start over given that it has some damage.

The failure may not have anything to do with the Blue Ox (may have been the wrong pins were used) but I don't think I can buy a Blue Ox again...just bad muju. They all look like good tow bars, but the 3/4" pins on the Roadmaster along with the cable routing seems to be a considerable difference.
Dieseltech39 has the correct instructions. BlueOx uses the pin pictured below for the connection from the tow bar to the baseplate. The pin that you show in your original post is the one that comes with the BlueOx towbar and is used to connect the towbar to the motorhome hitch. I've never used the pin that is shown in your picture, I substituted a locking pin that uses a key to get it off.

I have used both a 5,000 lb BlueOx towbar and a 10,000 lb. BlueOx towbar for 8 years now and about 100,000 miles and have not had a problem with them. That is not a commercial for BlueOx as I have no connection to them whatsoever, just my experience.

I went with the 10,000 lb BlueOx towbar setup because I wanted the best connection possible between me and my toads. My toads are each around 4,000 lb so I'm not pulling the weight that you are. Just my opinion and decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7338.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	68349  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've drilled a hole in the ends of my hitch pins in order to use padlocks on them. Now I have no fear of the pins accidently or otherwise coming out and losing control of the toad.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfi4 View Post
x2 on the Locking Pins!!!!!!!
Blue Ox sells them in a three piece kit, all keyed alike - BX88101

Just verify the pin sizing (1/2" for the Baseplates and 5/8" for the receiver)
I use that for the receiver too. As well as being safe, the towbar can't be stolen off of the hitch with the locking pin.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow