Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:14 PM   #1

I was testing the newly installed SMI toad aux brake/lights with my wife following in another car. Suddenly she told me via the walkie-talkie that the toad was swerving across the lane. I quickly stopped. It turned out that one of the cross bar locking pins was missing and the bar came of its mounting pin. Fortunately I was only going about 15 mph and the safety cables kept the toad connected as the cross bar hit the pavement. It is now bent. Earlier today I purchased a set of four paddle locks to lock the four tow bar locking pins. I had the coach/toad parked across the street next to a park. I think someone took one of the pins. I wish I would have put the paddle locks in place of the pins. Now I have to either get a replacement cross bar or find someone to straighten it out.

Lessons learned: 1. Always check all of the towing connections, hardware and cables prior to driving. 2. Install paddle locks to prevent accidental loss of the locking pins.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2006, 08:14 PM   #2

I was testing the newly installed SMI toad aux brake/lights with my wife following in another car. Suddenly she told me via the walkie-talkie that the toad was swerving across the lane. I quickly stopped. It turned out that one of the cross bar locking pins was missing and the bar came of its mounting pin. Fortunately I was only going about 15 mph and the safety cables kept the toad connected as the cross bar hit the pavement. It is now bent. Earlier today I purchased a set of four paddle locks to lock the four tow bar locking pins. I had the coach/toad parked across the street next to a park. I think someone took one of the pins. I wish I would have put the paddle locks in place of the pins. Now I have to either get a replacement cross bar or find someone to straighten it out.

Lessons learned: 1. Always check all of the towing connections, hardware and cables prior to driving. 2. Install paddle locks to prevent accidental loss of the locking pins.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:12 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Lessons learned: 1. Always check all of the towing connections, hardware and cables prior to driving. 2. Install paddle locks to prevent accidental loss of the locking pins.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're not the first person I've heard this from. Other stories tell about kids stealing the pins while you're shopping at Wal-Mart or eating at the Cracker Barrel...

I made myself get into the habit of checking all pins, cables, chains whenever I return to the coach.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:58 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Big Red, I purchased these locks from rvupgrades an iRV2 sponsor and have had peace of mind ever since...I have NO faith in those flip over pins as the rep from Blue Ox himself showed us at the 2006 iRV2 National Rally how you must be careful.
I recall using those pins and then checking to see if they were locked one time and I pulled the pin OUT with it folded over....Turns out I folded over the wrong way....NO MORE FOR ME!!

Get these locks....I use the 5/8 in the tow bar receiver on the motor home,the two smaller ones in the tow bar lugs and the other 5/8 holds the bike rack on the rear of the toad...You can get most any "setup" of these locks you want on rvupgrades web site...all keyed ALIKE!!

ALSO... CALL BLUE OX and ASK for tech support and tell them what happened, they may help you out with your bent tow bar.....They are GREAT people to work with....Be sure and tell them you're an iRV2 member!!

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:54 PM   #5

I had the locks in the trunk and was going to put them on the next time I towed. I guess I should have checked first and could have avoided this problem. Fortunally I was able to purchase another cross bar as they are in stock at Roadmaster.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:47 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:..Other stories tell about kids stealing the pins while you're shopping at Wal-Mart or eating at the Cracker Barrel... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was most likely an adult! I'm pretty sure it was an adult that stole our safety chain off our pop-up once on the way to FL (stoppped at a motel enroute... another pop-up was in the lot and they DIDN'T have kids). We replaced the chain but ever since we tie the chain together with a screw link (with thread lock glue applied) so that the chain can't just be pulled off the tongue so easily. But I also use a locking pin on my hitch ever since I saw some guy pull a Reese-type hitch ball off a truck in a parking lot and walk off with it.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:32 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Put me in the lock it club. If there is a lock made for what I need, I use it. Also, at every stop (rest area, fuel, CG, etc.) I do a walk around before leaving.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:53 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

At first I used the pins. However, after a few times of coming out and finding the retaining clips loose and ready to fall off I bought the Blue Ox keyed lockset. You don't need "human assistance" to lose those pins, they're just not failsafe. I've never had a problem with the keyed locking pins though.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
I used to lock the pins on my toad until another RVer cautioned me with this question: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How fast can you unlock those locks if the MH catches fire? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
After that question, I got a pair of agricultural grade flip-over pins that are used on 3-point hitches. I still carried the locks though and would put them on when setting overnight.

GM
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:01 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Miklas:
I used to lock the pins on my toad until another RVer cautioned me with this question: [QUOTE]How fast can you unlock those locks if the MH catches fire? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard that asked before myself.

Frankly, if my MH caught fire, the last thing I would be doing is unhooking my toad. I think my insurance company would not protest my getting myself and family out without worrying about a car burning as well.

I think using lock pins could easily become as flammable a topic as what type of brake system to use (or not use one)!

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:52 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We use the locks from Day one. People on here told us it was good. But I thought about a Fire. Then I thought Oh well time to go shopping for new...
Old 09-05-2006, 04:12 PM   #12

We have used locks since day one also. Before I left camping world the installer said that any and all of the baseplate parts that were removable would be removed when we wern't looking and probably end up on ebay. As others have said " that is why we have insurance" in case of a fire!

DW
Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #13

Where can we buy reasonably priced, keyed alike locks for tow bars? We've seen Roadmaster sets of four, but they were over $50.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:36 AM   #14

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
Bluewind,

Wal-Mart sells a set of 4 keyed-alike locks for about $10 or so. These locks have " bolts. You might need to drill out the retaining clip holes to ". That is what I did.

GM

George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote