Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #1

Tow Bar for Motor Home.

I am about to join the world of Toading. We have a small 2009 Nissan Versa with manual transmission. Just wondering what set up that I should be looking for. I hear Blue Ox is rated high, but expensive. Does anyone have other types that they are using and would recommend?
Murphcrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphcrud View Post
I am about to join the world of Toading. We have a small 2009 Nissan Versa with manual transmission. Just wondering what set up that I should be looking for. I hear Blue Ox is rated high, but expensive. Does anyone have other types that they are using and would recommend?
I have used a Demco set up to tow a kia soul and more recently a Subaru forester. Quality product with an easy to install baseplate.
newport61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

You'll find lots of differences in tow bars and in the prices too. If cost is an issue look onto Craigs List and see if you can find a nice used tow bar there. Some times dealers will have used bars too.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Blue Ox products are no more expensive than Roadmaster or Demco for similar products. The most convenient and rugged tow bars are all expensive, though.

Ideally, You want a motorhome mounted (stays in hitch receiver) tow bar that is rated high enough for the vehicle you will tow, now and in the future (tow bars last a LONG time).

Blue Ox has the Alpha, Acsent and Avail (weight differences), while Roadmaster has several Falcon, Sterling and Blackhawk models that are similar in function and price. Demo is also excellent. You can probably find used ones for sale as well if you hunt around.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #5
jrs

Due to positive comments by posters and my own research, I just bought and received a ReadyBrute Elite tow bar (it also supplies braking). Going to use a Demco baseplate with the tow bar. They both look well made. Can't beat the price of both when considering other options and a braking system. Will install everything including Roadmaster diode lighting system on our 2018 Grand Cherokee.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
get one rated @ 10k lbs because TOMORROW you will change to a heavier toad like most of us have check the classifieds here and craig's list
Old 07-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend the NSA ReadyBrute Elite towbars with built-in ReadyBrake!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
You don't say what motorcoach you have. If for example it is a gas coach, you may not need a higher rated tow bar depending on how much you can actually tow. A hitch rated at 5,000 lbs does not necessarily mean you can tow that amount. That is only what the hitch is rated for. To determine how much you can tow, you need to weigh your motorcoach. For example, a chassis rated at 22,000 lbs (max). The empty weight may be 20,000 lbs. You get it weighed with fuel, water, propane, number of people, clothes, and all other gear. If, for example, it weighs 21,750 lbs. That is less than the 22,000 lbs so that is good.
Checking the specs for the gross combined vehicle weight might say 26,000 lbs. Subtracting 21,750 lbs from 26,000 lbs is 4,250 lbs. That is the limit on what you can tow. So in that case you don't need more than a 5,000 lb rated tow bar. If you foresee getting a larger diesel and towing a heavier vehicle by all means, get a bar with a higher rating. You will pay more of course. The choice is yours. Regardless, they are all expensive.
RayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Blue Ox products are no more expensive than Roadmaster or Demco for similar products. The most convenient and rugged tow bars are all expensive, though.

Ideally, You want a motorhome mounted (stays in hitch receiver) tow bar that is rated high enough for the vehicle you will tow, now and in the future (tow bars last a LONG time).

Blue Ox has the Alpha, Acsent and Avail (weight differences), while Roadmaster has several Falcon, Sterling and Blackhawk models that are similar in function and price. Demo is also excellent. You can probably find used ones for sale as well if you hunt around.
You missed the RoadMaster Nighthawk. I bought one last year, very nice piece of equipment.
I sold a Falcon a couple weeks ago for $200, only used from AZ to AK and back to OR.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
��������

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #11
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Get one with a surge brake. Or you can buy my Brake Buddy and I will get one with a surge brake!
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRR View Post
Get one with a surge brake. Or you can buy my Brake Buddy and I will get one with a surge brake!
Can you recommend one with this 'surge brake'? Pleased that you replied as I was going to purchase a Brake Buddy.

Thanks
Murphcrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:19 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I found a used Blue Ox tow bar for about 1/3 the cost of new on Craigs list. If you buy used, inspect it carefully for wear, binding, bent, etc.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bars/Bl...BoCHtkQAvD_BwE

I then bought a Demco base plate for my Saturn Vue, it was several hundred less than the Blue Ox base plate..

Check the for sale adds here and on other RV site.

One note of caution - If you mix manufactures for base plate and tow bar, make sure they are compatable.

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphcrud View Post
Can you recommend one with this 'surge brake'? Pleased that you replied as I was going to purchase a Brake Buddy.

Thanks
ReadyBrute™ Elite RV Tow Bar

Tags
tow