Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

tow bar for my subaru

i cant seem to find a good tow bar to pull my 2012 wrx behind our coach..any suggestions?? jeff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #2

Blue Ox list one for the Impreza WRX Blue Ox Towing Products
but you should contact them for your specific version. Only the manual can be towed.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #3

another search but not blue ox i did find roadmaster ...are they also good?? jeff
Old 01-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I thought that your car could not be towed four down because of the all wheel drive.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Here's a link directly to the Blue Ox page for a 2012 Subaru Impreza base plate.

Blue Ox Towing Products

Roadmaster Subaru at Humphreys Hitch and Trailer Parts - Tow Bar Division

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #6

All Subaru's can be towed if they have manual transmission.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Store : Remco

Try checking here.

Ken
Old 01-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Craigslist - often a good deal there on tow bars.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #9

If you are talking about baseplates, I think you're right, Blue Ox may not make one for the 2012 WRX specifically. They have one for spec'd for the 2012 Impreza but you'd have to call them to see if it is the same application for the WRX.

Roadmaster does have two baseplates for it. One doesn't need a crossbar. They're specified to fit a 2012 WRX.

If you're talking about tow bars themselves, they are not vehicle specific so you'll have a choice from each manufacturer.

We are using a Roadmaster base plate and also their tow bar (Falcon All Terrain) to connect our Subaru Outback AWD and couldn't be happier.

-harry
Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #10
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For tow bars, Ready Brake Elite will give you a towbar and supplemental braking in one piece. I found it the cheapest and easiest to use. Readybrake RV Tow Bars and RV Surge Braking Systems for Car Towing - NSA RV Products
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #11

well thanks for info and yes i was asking about baseplates but didnt type what was thinking....the impreza is different than wrx after 2011{was just different front bumper and plastic} i do like the looks of the roadmaster and .......what is difference in towing with or without crossbar?? and will look at the other recommended plates...jeff
Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
well thanks for info and yes i was asking about baseplates but didnt type what was thinking....the impreza is different than wrx after 2011{was just different front bumper and plastic} i do like the looks of the roadmaster and .......what is difference in towing with or without crossbar?? and will look at the other recommended plates...jeff
Sorry, Jeff, I was just answering quickly from what I was reading on the Roadmaster fitment guide concerning a "crossbar." What I believe it is referring to is the crossbar used when a tow bar not mounted to the motorhome itself is used.

Here is a much better explanation from their website pertaining to the difference between the XL and the MX baseplates (again, the XL being used with a ball-and-hitch tow bar and the MX used with a motorhome mounted tow bar --recommended): click here ...or I have attached a PDF copy below.

The notation for the MX Series for the motorhome mounted tow bars (which I recommend) is as follows:

"This bracket will accommodate any ROADMASTER motorhome mounted tow bar. This bracket is designed for heavier vehicles. Make sure the tow bar you use exceeds the weight of the vehicle to be towed when fully loaded. Anchor brackets for Sterling cables will not fit MX or MS style brackets. To use MX or MS bracket with Sterling tow bar the Sterling cable anchors must be attached to the frame of the vehicle or welded to the receiver portion of the bracket. IMPORTANT NOTE: this bracket will not accommodate the Guardian rock shield, Tow Defender, Stowaway or the StowMaster, StowMaster All Terrain or Tracker tow bars."

(from this page: click here)

For additional clarification, call Roadmaster 360-896-0407. They are very good at explaining things and recommending what products to use. Contact information: click here If you need the instruction manuals or installation procedures and photos, let me know.

My recommendation (my opinion only as this is the setup I use) is to use the MX series base plate and the Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain --motorhome mounted-- tow bar.

It's your choice as many are now recommending Ready Brute tow bars. Who knows, if I buy a new setup, I may consider a Ready Brute tow bar. However, it could be a debate here about what tow bar is best: Roadmaster, Blue Ox, or Ready Brute similar to what is "best," a Chevrolet, Ford, or Dodge? ...I don't know.

We personally have had good luck with Roadmaster products. They have very good customer service if you call or visit them now in Vancouver Washington.

-harry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XL and MX Series Brackets.pdf (89.4 KB, 24 views)