Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You don't really need a brake unit for a light car for general driving. You do to meet legal requirements, and for any emergency braking. Oh, and for a runaway. You don't want to get into an accident without one, too much liability. You don't want to be standing in front of a judge when the plaintiff attorney asks you why you didn't have an auxilliary brake unit for your toad.

That's why I suggested you find a used brakebuddy for cheap and throw it in there. People fuss about them applying too much brakes, but if you set them up right they don't even activate unless it's an emergency stop. I love mine, it's easy to live with, easy to setup, goes with any car, and does a great job.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a similar problem but with a 2011 Fleetwood 33U MH and a 2014 Jeep wrangler, Camping World gave "discounted" quote of $5000 for a Tow bar, tow plate, and Roadmaster BrakeMaster . $5K?? I got a quote from General RV for $3500 for Blue OX and BrakeBuddy.. but they will not do the wiring. Jeep wants $150 for the light kit and $240 to install. I had no idea that towing a jeep was going to have such an impact on my wallet!! Is there anyone who has done a DIY that is safe? what can go wrong with the install. Seems to be a no brainer but I have never installed and wonder if it is better left to the "experts" for liability reasons?

Old 04-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
I did mine myself. I bought a new to me EvenBrake from the classifieds here on irv2, paid 1/3 of what a new one would be. I shopped around and found a tow bar on sale, bought a new baseplate once I knew what tow bar I was going to buy. For brake lights I went with diodes, bought the kit and wired it myself. In all I spent around $1,700 to get mine setup. It was not difficult to do. If you do not have a torque wrench that could add a few dollars on the price, I had one, and I also had some red Loctite, and wire crimpers. I will probably do the next one myself, loose bolts seems to be the problem, or broken welds, neither of which I have any control over. If installed per the instructions, which are available online, the liability does not shift much.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesvinton View Post
I have a similar problem but with a 2011 Fleetwood 33U MH and a 2014 Jeep wrangler, Camping World gave "discounted" quote of $5000 for a Tow bar, tow plate, and Roadmaster BrakeMaster . $5K?? I got a quote from General RV for $3500 for Blue OX and BrakeBuddy.. but they will not do the wiring. Jeep wants $150 for the light kit and $240 to install. I had no idea that towing a jeep was going to have such an impact on my wallet!! Is there anyone who has done a DIY that is safe? what can go wrong with the install. Seems to be a no brainer but I have never installed and wonder if it is better left to the "experts" for liability reasons?
That sounds like an insane amount of money! I purchased a Readybrute with Readybrake built in, which along with the base plate and bulb and socket wiring kit, spent about $1400. Took me about 6 hours in total, but it looks great and sounds like I saved over $1000. There are a couple of videos on Youtube that show the basic install. If you don't want to wire up the Jeep's tail lights, look into the wireless magnetic lights. They sell them on EBay (Towmate) for about $200. It's not a difficult project and very satisfying when you get done! Go for it!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #19

when i see these insane numbers i feel your pain, or i could only say wow... i diy'ed all of those with decent parts mostly from craigslist. how much did i spend:
- roadmaster falcon all terrain used local - $160
- roadmaster baseplate used from ohio shipped to me - $240
- harness from etrailer new - $40
- 7 pole cable and inline fuses for charging line new - $20
- roadmaster 048-8 high-low hitch used - $80
- labor - my body and my knowhow used/new - free

total $540. plus rvibrake $600, i am way ahead of you guys, oh well, you might say i am cheap.. lol... to be honest, if you are capable of changing engine oil, you can set it up easily. the key is - you need to overcome yourself and put your hands on.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
That sounds like an insane amount of money! I purchased a Readybrute with Readybrake built in, which along with the base plate and bulb and socket wiring kit, spent about $1400. Took me about 6 hours in total, but it looks great and sounds like I saved over $1000. There are a couple of videos on Youtube that show the basic install. If you don't want to wire up the Jeep's tail lights, look into the wireless magnetic lights. They sell them on EBay (Towmate) for about $200. It's not a difficult project and very satisfying when you get done! Go for it!

just did the same install on my 2012 Fit with a Roadmaster tow bracket and a Ready Brute Elite towbar/brake assembly. Easy install as mentioned above. got a Trailermate wiring kit for the tail lights on the Fit for $74 from etrailer.com. was a plug and play installation. much easier to use and more sanitary than using magnetic lights or other methods of attaching the lights.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
The baseplate you can get thru e-trailer for under $400, shipped.

Try this company I just ordered a Roadmaster Baseplate for $319 free ship talk to Joseph at World of Rv Parts Online Super Store

I agree on the ReadyBrute system if I didnt alredy have a brakemaster installed that is what I would install, the Readybrute is simple to install, hook up and very little maintenance needed.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesvinton View Post
Have a look at the tow daddy system, check out the u tube. They are owned by Hopkins now.

2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install