Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #1

Tow bar installation

We plan to tow our 2013 Honda Fit (approx. 2,000 lbs) to the 9,000 ft level of the CO Rockies from NH this year with our 26' Class C. We don't yet have the tow bar installed. Camping World is running a "sale" on Roadmaster tow bar packages which include the bar, brackets, "accessory kit" of undetermined contents, Guardian tow shield and Invisibrake, all installed for approx. $3130. The tow bar guy at the local CW wasn't in today so I'm coming to you with my questions. I understand that, in addition to the bar and the brake system, I'll have to have brake lights installed on the toad. Could that be part of the "accessory kit"? If not, how much can I expect to be charged for that? Since I'm not a mechanically handy guy, I plan to have a local RV guy install the equipment, not CW, as I expect he'll be a few hundred dollars less expensive though that remains to be seen. So my questions are: Is Roadmaster a good product: is there a failure history of Roadmaster tow bars and, if so, which ones; Is $3130 approx. the right amount for such an installation? Is there something else that should also be installed that doesn't come in the package? Is there a better/more effective system than Invisibrake and/or Roadmaster? Thanks for the advice. BG

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Couple thoughts. Suggest to checkout the Ready Brute. Combo tow bar and brake system for s reasonable cost. Might also check with CW about their $39 install special.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have done these installs for about a third of that. Are you a handy DIY'r at all?

$3300 just makes me cringe.

The package should be a full package - lights, brake unit, baseplate, towbar. In fact, for that much money, dinner and a movie, FOR A MONTH. Maybe even an engagement ring! LOL.

BTW, what kind of RV is your "26' class c"? Towing a car with an already under-powered camper on mountain passes is a drag.

Nice light car though. My college kid wants one of those.

Oh, and there's Roadmaster and Blue-Ox, both are of good quality components. You might get a competitive bid for a blue-ox setup. I've had a couple of them and prefer their products over Roadmaster. I guess there's Demco baseplates too, not sure if they have towbars, I think their plates adapt to either of the others.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #4

CJ, I've got a 2005 26' Thor Chateau on a Ford 450 platform. Hopefully that's hearty enough to get me up and over 9,000 ft. The purchase/installation fee maks me cringe too but I'm not handy with mechanicals. Sheetz, the quoted $3130 price includes installation unless they attach a surprise fee upon payment.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I suspect the accessory kit is the safety cables etc. I just purchased a Roadmaster All Terrrain tow bar from Camping World in Willsonville Oregon (no sales tax) along with the the tow brackets and a wiring kit. Total installation cost was $1470.07 after discounts for my Good Sam membership. Right now Camping World is doing the $39 installation on anything purchased there. I don't think you can beat that. I did not purchase the accessory kit as I had all the safety cables etc. from a previous installation on a prior toad. Don't know the costs on a tow shield or invisibrake as I don't use a shield and since my coach has air brakes I use an Air Force 1 Brake system. Previously we had a Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000 tow bar which we had used on two previous toads starting in 1998. I used it for thousands of miles and it never gave me a minutes grief.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Couple thoughts. Suggest to checkout the Ready Brute. Combo tow bar and brake system for s reasonable cost. Might also check with CW about their $39 install special.
I love my Ready Brute tow bar and brake system. I tow a Honda fit as well. Best price by far, and I've had no complaints with the performance.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Well I think the Invisibrake is one of the worst system. You have cables
and pulleys activating the toad brake pedal. There are more modern
and easier systems on the market. Stay in Play Duo from SMI, and RVI 2
to start with. Roadmaster has clunky mass of metal that stays
on the front of the toad most of the time. It is heavy to remove.
Alternatives would be Blue Ox, Demco .
I'd suggest finding another RV specialty dealer. CW has a limited
product line up. Some of the braking systems prevent you
from backing up ! If you get in a pickle, you would have
to unhook. There are many better options than CW is
offering, just MHO.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just did a quick search in our local craigslist and there are several blue-ox tow bars for $500 on down.

I got mine through an RV forum ad for about $275. It's an older style but 7500 capacity and in excellent condition.

People quit RV'ing or change and these things come up all the time.

The baseplate you can get thru e-trailer for under $400, shipped.

Brake units are all over the board. There are some fancy ones, but gee, for a 2K lb car you sure don't need much - just for emergency stops and for a run-away. I got a Brakebuddy on ebay, new refurb, for $500. It's been great.

My new Subaru Crosstrek had never been fit for a baseplate and I knew the car was based on a prevous model that they did have one for, so I got a free baseplate for installing it and making installation notes and pics for their manual.

So this last car cost me ZERO to setup to tow - I already had the brake unit and tow bar, got the baseplate for some sweat.

Seriously, the money people pay for this stuff just blows my mind.

Also, for one trip, with a mini-coach, basically a truck chassis, you can drive it around like a car, and if you really need one there's always Enterprise. They'll even pick you up. LOL.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Just had CW install the following: Roadmaster All-Terrian (you never know when you might run into a binding situation) Got the kit which should allow for an electrical quick connect, all attachment pieces for my CRV and I decided to go with the invisibrake. Everything seems to be just as planned.

I would recommend you have all items on a bid form and get all your questions answered regarding hook up so you know exactly what you are spending and what you are getting.

My total was around 2700.00 but originally was higher when they wanted to sell me up to another brake system. Based on the weight of the toad the invisibrake should be just fine. Don't be afraid to call Roadmaster direct. I did and felt very good for doing so. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGekko View Post
CJ, I've got a 2005 26' Thor Chateau on a Ford 450 platform. Hopefully that's hearty enough to get me up and over 9,000 ft. The purchase/installation fee maks me cringe too but I'm not handy with mechanicals. Sheetz, the quoted $3130 price includes installation unless they attach a surprise fee upon payment.
Hmmm...that has to be the V10. It should tow a light car like that no problem. For the smaller coaches a lighter car is just SO much easier. We had a Scion XB ('08 new style) and now the Subaru Crosstrek. Both are right at about 3K lbs. You don't even know they're back there. With a diesel coach you can tow big - my sis and b-in-law tow a Silverado C1500 4dr 4X4 with a canopy, loaded with junk in the bed. Sheesh! It's about 6K pounds.

That kind of price sounds like full-boat retail for all the parts and then another thousand to install it. It's a way lot of money for what you're getting. Some of the components can get really expensive but they do the exact same thing as a cheaper version. Caveat Emptor as they say.

EDIT: BTW, make sure you do a trans service before your trip and that you have synthetic ATF in there. It's gonna get hot going up all those hills. Plan for 45-50mph and just let it slog up the hills. Low gears for decents. Really hard on the ford transmission.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Before you make a final decision, check out the Ready Brute Elite on YouTube. It's an 8k lb. tow bar system that incorporates a surge brake for about $1000. Base plate is another $400 and if you want to get lazy for the lights, go with a tow mate wireless magnet light bar for $200 on EBay. Total cost to DIY is about half of what your quote is... On a scale from 1 to 5...it's about a 3. Take the other $1600 and go on vacation with it!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #12

tow bar install f/u

Thanks to all who responded to my tow bar question. Visited an RV dealer in the neighborhood - not CW - who quoted a much lower install price and said that, given the low weight of my toad ('13 Honda Fit) and relatively strong RV powerplant on my 26' Class C (E450), I wouldn't need an auxiliary braking system for the toad. I thought I read somewhere that all toads need a separate braking system. I'll be travelling over and around the Rockies in June. Can anyone address the need/don't need brake issue?
Old 03-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
After that post... I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback on the "necessity" of having an auxiliary braking system... So I'll quickly add my 2 cents... Not only are they a legal requirment in many states, but you don't want to get into any situation on the road where your toad could potentially become a 2k pound missile... Especially if you're going up and down major mountain ranges.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #14

New Blue Ox base plate.............$305.oo delivered. (Ebay)
Blue Ox Aventa ll LX used once..... $300.oo delivered (included cables and cover)
complete wiring 6 diodes ................ $70.oo

Tags
install