RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:55 PM   #1

Tow Bar Leg Connecting pins to Baseplate

For those who have a tow bar that attaches to the baseplate with pins is it common to use 1/2" locking hitch pins instead for better security?

If so, are there any strength requirements?

Ron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2017, 07:14 PM   #2

Blue Ox sells them as a set (one 5/8 inch and two 1/2 inch locking pings...so I'd imagine if you buy those they would meet (at least) Blue Ox requirements. I've not yet used them...they things get mixed reviews (Blue Ox and others). I have this fear of the locking end failing and flying off while driving down the road. I've been toying with the idea of using them for various reasons...maybe someday.

I typically remove my tow bar if parking overnight at a WalMart or other public space, or if we were going to be away from the MH/towed for any period of time...only takes a minute or so. When camping overnight in an RV park (when in transit, so just overnighting), if the park looks secure, I typically leave it on both the MH and towed, however. If I'm at my destination I always remove it and store it in the towed.

I *always* check all pins, cables and connections before I take off, even if just fueling.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #3

Every hitch pin on my towing system has a padlock on it. Period! No worry ever about it falling out or being removed by some knothead while I'm away. I'm not paranoid I just realize the world is full of idiots.
Labrat46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Tow Bar Leg Connecting pins to Baseplate

I use the blue Ox pins in all the connections. They are nice pins and provide a peace of mind that someone will not mess with them or accidentally release as I have heard some pins do.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:04 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat46 View Post
Every hitch pin on my towing system has a padlock on it. Period! No worry ever about it falling out or being removed by some knothead while I'm away. I'm not paranoid I just realize the world is full of idiots.
Same here and for the same reason. Kids like to remove the lynch pins and wait for the towed to be dragged. If your MH is on fire you probably won't save the towed though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:28 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Like "Mr_D" and "Labrat46," I recently switched to padlocks on all four places that formerly used linchpins. Padlocks also mean I no longer have to worry if I have the linchpin lock ring in the correct orientation (i.e., against the rounded edge of the pin when locked). I keep a key in the car and one in the coach, but as "Mr_D" says I'd probably be too disconcerted/slow on the draw to unlock the towbar if the MH was on fire. Worth that risk, for the reduced chance of tampering.

The towbar and baseplate are from Roadmaster.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:32 PM   #7

My Demco baseplate clevis only takes 1/2" pins. I'm not finding any weight rating for locking pins in my search.....are pretty much all 1/2" receiver pins going to be okay for a toad >5k pounds?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:00 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ron-

I see that Demco sells locking pins:

Tow Bar/Baseplate Locks | Demco Products

May not have lawyers hounding you (as much) after an accident if you use the ones your towbar/baseplate manufacturer sells.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:11 PM   #9

Hahaha...indeed, I'm not partial to litigation.

Thanks...
Old 04-25-2017, 10:27 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I use one lock to keep the bar on the coach. Others are the linch pins. Know a guy that put a lock on everything. Toad caught fire and because he couldn't get the locks opened, the toad and motorhome burned to the ground. A simple walk around inspection of the pins is all that is required. I have only towed a little over 200,000 miles so what do I know.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:24 AM   #11

I have pad locks in all pins. All keyed the same so if you have time to unlock one lock you can unlock all in seconds, so see no need to lock one and not another.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:43 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
On mine in case of a fire I would have to unlock the padlock, disconnect the safety chains, electrical wire and push the vehicle back (not possible if pushing uphill). I think I be happy just to get out of a burning RV.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:31 AM   #13
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the reminder. I just ordered a couple extra pins for the tow bar to toad base plate.

Last year I was disconnecting in a driving snow storm and dropped one of the pins in the snow. Took 10 minutes of carefully shoveling snow before I found it...

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have padlocks on all of our pins. I don't worry about fires and I think the chances of someone trying to mess with my pins are greater than my chances of catching on fire, and I have insurance if I do catch on fire. I could go without locks and just look every time before moving, which I do now even with the locks, but it only needs to be missed once for an accident to happen.

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow