Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #15

I bought a cheap folding tongue jack with wheel at Northern Tool. $15 with a $5 coupon.
I wouldn't use it on anything with much tongue weight but it is great for a dolly. Much easier to push the dolly around if you don't have to bend over and hold the tongue up. With the jack all the way up, the crank handle is a comfortable height for pulling or pushing. You can also pull it around with the safety chains.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,
Well I guess I must put my $.02 in as I have a Tow Dolly made by Roadmaster and have thoroughly enjoyed towing with it and even in Campgrounds.

I have towed my 98 Honda Civic to Alaska and back, 11,361 miles with no problems. One thing that is real nice is that the Roadmaster dolly has steerable wheels and tracks in the same path as the rear wheels of the motorhome therefore if the motorhome clears it the dolly will to.

My dolly has electric brakes which are adjusted by a brake controller in the motorhome so you can apply little or a lot of braking. I went down a 10% grade with no problems. I also installed a fifth wheel on it to make manuevering it in CG easy. Most of the time I ask for a pul through site and leave the dolly attached to motorhome and unload car. If I can't get a pull through site then I unload the car (at site) and unhook dolly and push it behind motorhome and reconnect it and leave it that way. When I leave I just pull out of site and reload car and away I go. At home it is not a problem to push it around either. The dolly also has a spare tire mounted on the tongue just in case.

The beauty part also is that if you decide on another front wheel drive car you don't need to buy everything all over. When I went from the Honda to the Ford Escape the only thing I had to buy was bigger straps.

BTW as far as speed hooking up goes but who cares since I'm retired, I think it is faster than hooking up towbar, cables, setting gearshift, pulling fuses and installing braking system. Plus you don't have to worry about front end alignments, scuffing tires while turning and brake buddies accidently locking up your toad braking system.

Lastly check out the "Roadmaster "Website or go to Camping World and look at the dollies. I wouldn't tow four down if I could.

Tom-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #17

I totally agree with TOM-NC. We've used our Roadmaster dolly to tow a Buick over 25,000 miles without a problem. It's easy to load and unload and well balanced. It doesn't take much effort to move it around with the built in handle. The ramps are lowered with a flip of a lever and automatically return to the stored position when the car is loaded

We switched to towing our Jeep 4 down (can't be towed on a dolly) most of the time because we like off roading. It doesn't make much sense to tow the Buick along then leave it in the campground when we rent a Jeep. When/if we get tired of off roading we'll go back to the Buick on the dolly. As mentioned earlier a good dolly can accomodate almost any front wheel drive car without additional expense.

In our case it takes about the same amount of time and effort to hookup the Jeep as it does to load the Buick on the dolly. In all the time we used the dolly there was only 1 campground that wouldn't let us store it on the site. In that case they had a special lot for trailers and dollies. When you unloaded it they would take it to the lot with a small tractor. When it was time to leave they delivered it to your site.

A good quality dolly with electric brakes costs about the same as the hardware needed to tow 4 down
Old 07-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #18

Tom-NC has the same opinions as we do.
Allow me to add one aspect of the "hook up" process for both our tow bar and dolly. Both vehicles move. Nobody says you must hook up in the mud! We usually drive to a paved, smooth, level surface to attach the toad. If it's raining we find an underpass to come in out of the rain! (Anybody else?)
Old 08-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been quoted $3800 do go with Blue Ox base plate w/Aladdin Tow bar and SMI Duo Aux braking system. Very pleased, plus the sales tax of 9.5%, I now think for this cost I will go with a tow dolly, and the one and only one reason is that I will only be towing for a few weeks at time at most and then some extended week end type trips and I find it hard to justify $$4400 +/- for limited use and at 67 years young I will only be driving this MH another 3-5 years I would guess, ANY THIUGHTS?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by doit2010
I have been quoted $3800 do go with Blue Ox base plate w/Aladdin Tow bar and SMI Duo Aux braking system. Very pleased, plus the sales tax of 9.5%, I now think for this cost I will go with a tow dolly, and the one and only one reason is that I will only be towing for a few weeks at time at most and then some extended week end type trips and I find it hard to justify $$4400 +/- for limited use and at 67 years young I will only be driving this MH another 3-5 years I would guess, ANY THIUGHTS?
Gee, you are real pessimistic. Man, you are only 67 and if you are in generally good health you have far more "fun" years left.At least I would hope so!
$4400? That # is kind of steep for a tow bar and brake setup. I got my ready brute installed with brake for about half that. By the way, as reported by many others here the Ready Brute works great. I think a dolly might have some advantages but overall like most people, I joined the 4 down crowd.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by doit2010
What vehicle are you going to be towing? I went with a dolly, learned my car isn't a good candidate for a dolly, don't want to go with the Remco pump @ 2k installed, so now looking for a 90's something Jeep.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
No issues with towing 4 down. I wouldn't have it any other!

Dan
Old 08-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #23

...here's my advice: I tow a '90 Honda civic hatchback on a dolly with my '02 Rexhall Aerbus; the RV is equipped with a brake master 9000 and I can't wait to find the RIGHT vehicle to go four down. Getting under the front end to secure the chains, then tightening the straps, then having to stop after an hour or so of driving to check the straps, it all equals to a venerable pain in the keister! I'm not quite 40 yet, and I don't have a problem (physically) doing all of this, but it's just TOO MUCH work!!! I gave up working hard when I gave up camping. RVing is not a hobby, it's a lifestyle! Happy RVing y'all!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to DavCor
Again, thank you to everyone that has given me great insight into this problem. We have officially moved to our new home in Florida (just twenty miles from where I grew up), and once we get settled, we'll be taking the dink issue head on. We have decided to go four down, primary due to physical constraints.
Thanks again.
Dave
Old 08-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We have a 2005 Honda Ody. I've towed it both on a dolly (KK-460) and then four down. I'm going back to the dolly after this last trip to CA and AZ.
Why?
Less chance of damage to the toad. (lots of rock chips in the Ody front)
Don't have to leave the keys in the ignition and rn the battery down
Won't need an alignment after towing on CA roads!
Follows the MH better.
Just less worry while on the road.
The dolly folds so it doesn't take much space.

Have the KK-460 dolly
RoadMaster Sterling towbar, RoadMaster 9160 Brakemaster w/breakaway, used diodes to wire the electrical.
I will second the Demco KarKaddy 460 SS. It is very easy to load, tow, has surge brakes, and the wheels turn. When you get to your camp site it folds to half it's size.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #26

I have Demco Car Kaddy SS to tow our Prius. I shortened the hook up time in 1/2 as follows. Purchased a light weight plastic creeper to get under the car to attach the safety chains(cost $40) & attached short pieces of high strenth chain around the cars frame to make attachment of the safety chains easier and quicker. No more lying in mud or dirty pavement and it saves my 65 year old back. Tow dolly tracks perfectly. Also bought on the internet a handtruck dolly with a hitch ball for moving the dolly around in areas with dirt or gravel($ 59) .Another back saver. Happy RVing.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just don't understand the "food fight" that ALWAYS follows this question on this forum...here's an idea...

Why not run a test? - Just go to U-haul and rent one of thier dolly's to see if it will work for you and the car you own/want to tow now.

It's cheaper than buying all the stuff to flat tow your car and if you don't like it - no problem, U-Haul will want the dolly back.

I did this 2 times plus I borrowed a Master-tow from a friend...I made my decision slowly.

When I'm 71 (not too far away), I hope to be able to still use my EZE-Tow or something like it.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088
I just don't understand the "food fight" that ALWAYS follows this question on this forum...here's an idea...

Why not run a test? - Just go to U-haul and rent one of thier dolly's to see if it will work for you and the car you own/want to tow now.

It's cheaper than buying all the stuff to flat tow your car and if you don't like it - no problem, U-Haul will want the dolly back.

I did this 2 times plus I borrowed a Master-tow from a friend...I made my decision slowly.

When I'm 71 (not too far away), I hope to be able to still use my EZE-Tow or something like it.
Food fight? I think people are just expressing their opinions and that's good. No question, both methods have advantages and disadvantages so it just comes down to personal preference. I think your suggestion re renting a dolly is a great idea.

Tags
dolly