Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:44 AM   #29

I went ahead and installed a LOD front bumper, with Blue Ox tow bar tabs included. It came out very nice, and works well.

When they add the tow bar tabs they keep them low,,,, so there was only 2 1/2" difference between the coach and the jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160903_104905.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	506.2 KB
ID:	140112  

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 07:07 AM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
thats a nice looking bumper!

trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:59 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Yes, holes are drilled in the bumper and the brackets are bolted to the bumper. Backing plates are included to provide strengthing. The typical aftermarket bumper is quite thick and robust and well secured to the jeeps frame. As I commented, I don't know how robust the stock Rock Hard bumper is.

The other adapters you linked connect to D ring tabs, which you commented you don't have. Instead, I assume your bumper has tow hooks on the top of the bumper.

If you were to replace your bumper with a aftermarket bumper I would think it has some resell value via Craigslist.
Yes, the Hard Rock Stock bumper has the tow hooks (they are red) on top of the bumper. I was hoping there may be a way to attach recovery tabs somewhere on that bumper and then use the Blue Ox adapters to attach to it.

This is a Hard Rock bumper and I see recovery tabs but I'm not sure they are stout enough to tow from.

Maximus-3 Hard Rock 10A/X D-Ring Loops
Old 09-28-2016, 08:26 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoticov View Post
Yes, the Hard Rock Stock bumper has the tow hooks (they are red) on top of the bumper. I was hoping there may be a way to attach recovery tabs somewhere on that bumper and then use the Blue Ox adapters to attach to it.

This is a Hard Rock bumper and I see recovery tabs but I'm not sure they are stout enough to tow from.

Maximus-3 Hard Rock 10A/X D-Ring Loops
They look pretty stout. If designed to be used for vehicle recovery should be so. Probably attaching on or near the frame rails ears from there placement. Maybe ask the manufacturer if they have specifications, experience with towing, etc
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:11 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
They look pretty stout. If designed to be used for vehicle recovery should be so. Probably attaching on or near the frame rails ears from there placement. Maybe ask the manufacturer if they have specifications, experience with towing, etc
Yea, I would think they would be strong enough. I am more worried about how narrow they are from one another. Most of the recovery tabs I have seen are further out (or further apart) so I am not sure if they can be towed like that.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Yea, I would think they would be strong enough. I am more worried about how narrow they are from one another. Most of the recovery tabs I have seen are further out (or further apart) so I am not sure if they can be towed like that.
Ah, good question. Probably a question for the various tow bar providers.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #35

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
here's Maximux tow bar loops, look wider than posted above...

Maximus-3 Jeep Wrangler JK Tow Loops

trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #36

National RV Owners Club
I have the tow parts that bolt on the front of the bumper. They supposed to work with all tow bars.
I have a 16 wrangler 2 dr and did not want to drill through the plastic covering on the front bumper. If you don't have the plastic, these would work correctly for you.
I can send pics tonight if you are interested.

Thanks.

Dave
yn1bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Had to chuckle @ "probably never take it off road"
none of us that tow them ever thought we would either
sorta like never going to upgrade RV's - silly statement

some of the best fun has been offroad in places many don't go...

I 'acquired' my jeep as part of the rv purchase and so it already had a demco hitch and baseplate.

but two things you might consider about the connections on the jeep:
the base plate and tabs on ours are below the bumper and have already tried to push some rocks around...
worse yet, our disconnect and wiring was mounted below it too so very exposed....
think about how to resolve those items....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1862.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	140136   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-19 093.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	667.5 KB
ID:	140137  

Old 09-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Had to chuckle @ "probably never take it off road"
none of us that tow them ever thought we would either
sorta like never going to upgrade RV's - silly statement

some of the best fun has been offroad in places many don't go...

I 'acquired' my jeep as part of the rv purchase and so it already had a demco hitch and baseplate.

but two things you might consider about the connections on the jeep:
the base plate and tabs on ours are below the bumper and have already tried to push some rocks around...
worse yet, our disconnect and wiring was mounted below it too so very exposed....
think about how to resolve those items....
You see ghoticove,
First hand experience on how setting things up TOO low on the front end, can easily acquire damage. While you may think that you'll never be in a position to acquire such damage, the potential is there, quite often. And, if you damage a tow attachment (such as those you posted as a link) guess who get's to drive it home from where ever you towed it to? So, just be aware of the potential in a situation like that.

Lloyd,
Yep, nice looking front bumper. If you had that one built for you, I'm surprised that the company did not tell you that the recovery tabs could be used for towing and that there was no need for additional tow-bar tabs to be welded or bolted on. But, maybe they wanted to make more money or, for some reason, they didn't want to suggest your recovery tabs be used for towing. Who knows.

ghoticove,
I've not had the pleasure of looking at a H/R front bumper up close. I've been fabricating metal/components/additions/alterations/fire truck repair/and a few dozen other applications for decades so, I'd have to see just what's behind that H/R front bumper, in various spots, to see if any form of Recovery tabs may be adapted to the face of it. Alteration is the name of the game here, if you want to keep that H/R front bumper in place.

Your little "Red" recovery hooks are attached to the top of the frame, just like my Regular JKUR ones, only yours are RED. Those ones you linked, may be good for recovery, but, as I see them in the ad, they are secured ON ONE SIDE, not both. To me, even though they're built from what they say is 1/2" material, if secured on one side only, that's a fair amount of stress on one side. Probably works but, I just look at things different. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #39

Hi Fireup!!!

My recovery tabs are at 26", my tow bar tabs are at 20". The top of my hitch tube on the coach is at 17". I fabricated a raised tube receiver, but didn't need to go 9" higher to get it all together near level. 2" was close enough to bridge the difference between 17 and 20". Therefore the separate tabs.

Not selling LOD, but they add the tabs no charge. They are just at the bottom of the bumper where it transistions to the skid plate.

I agree, they could at some point be in the way. However at this point we have been offroading,,,, but nothing that comes even close to needing that clearance. My thoughts were our stock Rubicon, will nned many other upgrades (wheels, tires, lift kit) for us to really get engaged in more difficult trails.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:06 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Hi Fireup!!!

My recovery tabs are at 26", my tow bar tabs are at 20". The top of my hitch tube on the coach is at 17". I fabricated a raised tube receiver, but didn't need to go 9" higher to get it all together near level. 2" was close enough to bridge the difference between 17 and 20". Therefore the separate tabs.

Not selling LOD, but they add the tabs no charge. They are just at the bottom of the bumper where it transistions to the skid plate.

I agree, they could at some point be in the way. However at this point we have been offroading,,,, but nothing that comes even close to needing that clearance. My thoughts were our stock Rubicon, will nned many other upgrades (wheels, tires, lift kit) for us to really get engaged in more difficult trails.

L.
Roger that Sir,
Thanks for getting back here with your reason(s)/Explanations of how and why you did what you did, very nice.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #41

Maximus 3 Tow Loops

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimacon View Post
here's Maximux tow bar loops, look wider than posted above...

Maximus-3 Jeep Wrangler JK Tow Loops

Curious if anyone has installed/used these yet. We're trading in our JKU on a JKURHR and also want to keep the Hard Rock X bumper. Not only does it look great, but it's actually a very adaptable/functional bumper with the right attachments.

Our current setup is a Rock Hard Patriot bumper which is well-designed for towing, but much heavier, way more expensive and, in my opinion, not as good-looking as the HR X bumper. It's worked great for towing though.

I plan to use these Maximus 3 loops with Blue Ox adapters on a Blue Ox tow bar. Just curious if anyone here has first-hand experience with such a setup.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowMeOKC View Post
Curious if anyone has installed/used these yet. We're trading in our JKU on a JKURHR and also want to keep the Hard Rock X bumper. Not only does it look great, but it's actually a very adaptable/functional bumper with the right attachments.

Our current setup is a Rock Hard Patriot bumper which is well-designed for towing, but much heavier, way more expensive and, in my opinion, not as good-looking as the HR X bumper. It's worked great for towing though.

I plan to use these Maximus 3 loops with Blue Ox adapters on a Blue Ox tow bar. Just curious if anyone here has first-hand experience with such a setup.

Not exactly same, but also a bolt on similar solution. I have used the Blue Ox bolt on brackets with a rock hard aftermarket bumper for several years. Works great.

Tags
tow