Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
tow bar quality

I would just like some opinons on what brand of tow bar to buy. I am towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2007 with a Fleetwood Southwind. I have a Blue Ox baseplate and have been using a Falcon tow bar but its time for a new one.

Roger
2012 Southwind

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #2

My Blue Ox Aventa II has served me well for six years.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepserv
I would just like some opinons on what brand of tow bar to buy. I am towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2007 with a Fleetwood Southwind. I have a Blue Ox baseplate and have been using a Falcon tow bar but its time for a new one.

Roger
2012 Southwind
I tow a wrangler unlimited and use a blue ix Acclaim. A little heavy, but it seems to work well.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Roadmaster Black Hawk all terrain here.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can tell you NOT TO GET AN ALLADIN by blueox. I've got a worn out one with 25,000 miles. They have parts, but no longer making that unit or replacement parts.

Mike
Old 02-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine is a Ready Brute Elite.

RV Tow bars with Integrated ReadyBrake Surge Brake, Standard TowBars - NSA RV Products

It has built-in supplemental braking.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
I can tell you NOT TO GET AN ALLADIN by blueox. I've got a worn out one with 25,000 miles. They have parts, but no longer making that unit or replacement parts.

Mike
Ditto!

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Roadmaster Blackhawk here. 7 years old, still in great shape.
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am a firm believer in aux brakes for the towed,, One of the best systems (And also the simpliest) is the ready brake,

Since you have not yet purchased your tow bar, You can get the ready brake with the ready brute tow bar in a single box..

This is a surge brake system. basically nothing to hook up save a cable, nothing in your way when you drive the Jeep, and surge brakes are very simple in operation. they self adjust as well which makes them ideal.

With so many other systems you have to remember to "Prepare" the car for towing and/or you have a bulky box to wrestel in and out of the seat.. Not so with the Ready Brake, Very quick and simple hookup.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post

Mike
This information may be somewhat misleading to readers. Here's the deal on the Aladdin model of tow bars. There is the old (now discontinued) 5000# rated unit and a new 7500# rated unit.

Blue Ox changed and upgraded the Aladdin tow bar, a little over a year ago AFAIK. And with that change, the Aladdin was upgraded to a 7500# capacity.

The new 7500# rated Aladdin is, indeed, a current, in-production, set of towbars. If buying a used Aladdin, I would steer clear of the older 5000# model.

If buying new, any new inventory of Aladdin tow bars will likely be the new 7500# unit. And this can be confirmed by sending the serial number of the bars to Blue Ox.

We have the new Aladdin 7500# unit and use it to tow our 6000+ lb. Chevy Avalanche LTZ. Works great and I would buy it again if I needed to. I like the Blue Ox tow bar set-up very much.

As for auxiliary braking in the toad, we use and very much like the SMI AirForceOne air system, which is as easy as it gets and doesn't require putting a mechanical braking box on the driver side floor of the toad. All you do to set up the toad brakes for being pulled is to connect an air line from the DP coach to the toad, and you're done! Braking is proportional to the braking air pressure in the coach.

DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We use a RoadMaster Sterling setup. According to the ads, RoadMaster is the only towbar bracket manufacturer to do "Finite Elemental Analysis" on their brackets. If anyone else was doing it you can be sure they'd be advertising it too.
Anyway, as a retired transportation engineer that extra assurance means a lot to me.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepserv View Post

Roger
2012 Southwind
Roger... you're set-up with a Blue Ox baseplate. If I was you, I'd pick up a new 7500# rated Aladdin, head on down the road and never look back!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The "new" Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar is still made out of aluminum and that is what wore out on my Aladdin. The Blue Ox reps told me the aluminum lasts about 1/2 as long as the all steel Aventa II.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
UFO Pilot... Perhaps the earlier version that you had (5000# rated) of the Aladdin was designed without steel in the inner legs and that was the change that Blue Ox made when they redesigned/respec'ed the new 7500# Aladdin with steel inner legs.

In e-mail conversation with Blue Ox customer service, just today, I asked about the comparative service life of Blue Ox Aladdin vs. their comparable steel tow bars - with respect to towing my 6000+ lb. Chevy Avalanche 1500 - and received this reply:

"The life expectancy of the (new) Aladdin vs our Aventa LX or Alpha is the same. The advantage of the Aladdin is that it is lighter in weight. The inner legs of the Aladdin are made of steel. The Aladdin will serve you well."

I trust in the new (current) design implementation of the Aladdin tow bar for up to 7500#. Alternatively, I'm sure the Aventa LX and Alpha are excellent choices as well. I see no reason not to choose Blue Ox for a towing setup.

Tags
quality