Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:12 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Osak ,After looking at there location in Savannah, I went to there business two or three weeks ago. They said they didn't want to tackle puting the plate on Fiat.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 08:33 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
A local shop was steering me toward Roadmaster. They are an authorized dealer for both, as well as Demco, and Ready Brute. The 10K Roadmaster (Blackhawk 2) is considerably more expensive than the 10K Blue OX (Aventa LX). Any thoughts or justification for this? I'm saying that both get very good reviews.
The Roadmaster tow bar has excellent reviews. It is a good tow bar.

We drive on dusty gravel roads some. Because the tow bar shafts are not sealed, gravel dust gets in there, which means the bars will not retract.

I have had this bar totally apart a half a dozen times to do nothing more than clean out the gravel dust. The bushings are plastic. Gravel dust embeds into the plastic, causing the plastic to squeeze the bar shaft. I have ground those bushings several times to re-establish the clearance. There's no solution to this problem.

So, for my situation, I'll try a different brand the next time.

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #17

I have about 10k mile driving my Fiat 500 and 9k towing it with a Readybrute. I'm very happy with both the car and the tow bar/brake system. This subject was discussed in a previous thread recently. I suggest you take a look at that thread including my comments about installing the Readybrute system.

Anybody using the Ready Brute braking on Fiat?
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
The Roadmaster tow bar has excellent reviews. It is a good tow bar.

We drive on dusty gravel roads some. Because the tow bar shafts are not sealed, gravel dust gets in there, which means the bars will not retract.

I have had this bar totally apart a half a dozen times to do nothing more than clean out the gravel dust. The bushings are plastic. Gravel dust embeds into the plastic, causing the plastic to squeeze the bar shaft. I have ground those bushings several times to re-establish the clearance. There's no solution to this problem.

So, for my situation, I'll try a different brand the next time.

Jim
Darn, I just ordered the Blackhawk 2 mostly because I really like the MX base plates. I did a search and I'm wondereing if THIS would work.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV Bum View Post
Thanks Osok I will give them a call. How did you know that ! I noticed your location and was surprised you weren't from this area.
WV Bum, check your Private Messages (PM's).

Sorry to hear they wouldn't do a Fiat. That is surprising since that's their business. Maybe if you could print off the installation instructions, you could then visit a few mechanic shops showing them what you need and get lucky. Just guessing!
Old 12-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #20

We are towing the Fiat 500L and ended up going with the BO Alpha and base plate. I've heard of someone in Phoenix doing the ready brute braking but we could not figure a way to route a cable in. I am going to order the RVi brake. I did get the breakaway cable set up & a hot 12v plug installed while the front clip was off.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 12-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #21

Just curious if a vehicle as light as a Fiat 500 (est 2500) really needs additional brake assistance. We have some friends towing a 500 and pretty sure they are not using any brake assist.

We tow a 99 Miata (about 2350) and have not had any issues with braking even in the mountains. And we are using a Roadmaster Tracker. Petty simple system, but effective for such a light vehicle.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Blue Ox and Roadmaster both appear to make good products. We went through this decision process last summer and finally chose a Blue Ox Aventa LX mostly because I felt the Blue Ox base plate and the MH hookup was less complicated and cluttered.

A braking system choice was a little easier as I felt strongly that a proportional system was the only way to go and I choose the AirForce One. If you have a DP stay away from brake systems that are activated by your brake lights. These non-proportional system can be activated by your brake lights coming on when your compression brake engages resulting in your Fiat trying to brake for the MH.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:03 AM   #23

I think the limit is 1500# in California, Idaho & New York. It's not required in Texas (where we are) and I'm not sure if AF 1 is available yet for the 500L. I'm thinking of going with the RVi2 but I have the problem of the brake lights coming on with the engine brake. We are in RGV for the winter but come spring I need to make a decision.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, #51334. C9 CAT
Old 12-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Darn, I just ordered the Blackhawk 2 mostly because I really like the MX base plates. I did a search and I'm wondereing if THIS would work.
I thought about using that. However, the biggest point of entry for dust is the release levers on the top of the tubes. They are not sealed, and dust will pour in there.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #25

If you think you don't need a braking system for your TOAD you should read "The Physics of Towed Vehicle Braking," the third thread in this forum. Don't mess with Mr Newton.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No matter what the weight of the toad, your combination RV and Toad will stop sooner in less distance with a brake system on the toad than it will without. This only matters in emergency situations where you don't have time to plan your stops. Now if you are one of the truly blessed RV owners that always can plan their stops and never experience surprises while traveling, and they do exist, you can read about them on this forum- they're easy to spot, they say you don't need brakes on your toad, then you too can tow without a brake system on your toad. I'm not one of the blessed ones, I need to do whatever I can to my advantage in case of surprises.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Suggest to check out the ReadyBrute Elite. Tow bar and brake system combo. Simple, effective, and priced well.

Another vote for ReadyBrute Elite!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow