Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:28 AM   #1

We are going to need a tow bar. We are pretty excited because w hare going to order a new 2009 Dutch Star 4317. So I am researching things we will need for the new coach. Like Brake systems, Tow bars etc. We will be towing a new Jeep Wrangler Sahara. I have my choice of tow bars down to 2. The Roadmaster, or the Blue Ox. I know everyone has a personal favorite, But I would like to hear from someone that is in the know to recommend one over the other, and why. By the why I love these rv Forums 99% of the guys are nice fellers....

VACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2008, 04:28 AM   #2

We are going to need a tow bar. We are pretty excited because w hare going to order a new 2009 Dutch Star 4317. So I am researching things we will need for the new coach. Like Brake systems, Tow bars etc. We will be towing a new Jeep Wrangler Sahara. I have my choice of tow bars down to 2. The Roadmaster, or the Blue Ox. I know everyone has a personal favorite, But I would like to hear from someone that is in the know to recommend one over the other, and why. By the why I love these rv Forums 99% of the guys are nice fellers....

VACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:43 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Either brand would serve you well, but I'm partial to Blue Ox.

It's a personal preference thing, and I perceive Blue Ox as the better of the two.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:44 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The Blue Ox baseplate with its removable tabs presents a nice clean appearance when you are not towing. To tow, 2 tabs are fitted to the baseplate via a simple twist and lock mechanism.

Blue Ox products, support and field service is excellent.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:56 AM   #5
paz

Here's another vote for Blue Ox. I agree with DriVer that the Blue Ox baseplate looks cleaner, especially with the removable tabs. There are a few baseplates that are available only with fixed tabs; but IMO, they still look better.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:56 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Both products are very good, and they both have great support. I tend to see Blue-Ox at some of the smaller rallies as well, where Roadmaster tends to be at the larger ones. Both have great customer support. I have installed both, both of them offer removable tab style tow bars so you can have a clean appearance.

When I have a customer looking into tow bars I have them go to the prospective web pages and look at the photos of installation and what it will look like when completed. Then have them make a decision, it is a matter of personal preference. When I did my jeep, I preferred the roadmaster over the blue-ox.

With the tow bars and brake systems you will have a ton of opinions, it depends what is in your budget, and how often you are towing...etc etc...

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:36 AM   #7

I've done the Blue Ox BX1126 baseplate install on four '07 , '08 Wranglers. I've closely looked over three Roadmaster installs on new Wranglers.
Personally, I would only go with the Blue OX BX1126 and the Cool Tech LLC, Inc. harness. Put two new Wranglers side by side. One with the Roadmaster baseplate and the other with the Blue Ox. For a new Wrangler, most people would say the Blue Ox baseplate would be their choice after they looked both over carefully. If you did both installs, undoubtedly you would say Blue Ox was lets say your favorite install of the two. Of course to each his own..

Look here for lots of info on setting up an '07 or '08 Wrangler for toad duty.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:51 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I will put a vote in for roadmaster. Customer service was wonderful the one time I needed it.
I also love the non-binding latch they have on the tow bars. Those times you have to unhitch at bad angles, you will understand the blessing that latch is.

They make hidden baseplates and blue ox makes adapters for the roadmasters also.

I bought the latest baseplate for my new toad off of rvtoyoutlet which seems to have the lowest prices for roadmaster products. The communication is terrible with them however,I had a hang of a time getting someone to call back or to talk to on the phone for a question. The order I placed did go through fast and without a hitch.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:00 AM   #9

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I went with the Roadmaster on my 08 Jeep Sahara Unlimited. I had problems with the baseplate install, but passed on suggestions to another forum member and his install went without a hitch...took him 3 hrs. I also have the Sterling all Terrain tow Bar. The Cool Tech Harness is the only way to go!
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #10

I have the Blue Oz Adventa..and I really prefer it to a Roadmaster I had..seems more subsantial and easier to use...
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder on this one, as they're both good products.

Blue Ox has attended several of our past National rallies and provided both educational seminars and tech support.

Best advice is.... get out there and use it!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #12

Vacman With the Jeep the Blue Ox baseplate and the Cool Tech wiring harness make a very good set up!! and an easy install!! Just did mine last week!!!

Rick
Old 03-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VACMAN:
We are going to need a tow bar. We are pretty excited because w hare going to order a new 2009 Dutch Star 4317. So I am researching things we will need for the new coach. Like Brake systems, Tow bars etc. We will be towing a new Jeep Wrangler Sahara. I have my choice of tow bars down to 2. The Roadmaster, or the Blue Ox. I know everyone has a personal favorite, But I would like to hear from someone that is in the know to recommend one over the other, and why. By the why I love these rv Forums 99% of the guys are nice fellers.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went with the Blue Ox on my 08 Wrangler, install was very easy. Install directions looked a bit simpler with the Blue Ox over the Roadmaster. I also preferred the look of the Blue Ox setup over the Roadmaster. I'm sure either one is a great setup. For brakes, the SMI seemed the only way to go for me. It's self contained in the Jeep, flick one toggle switch on and it's ready to go. Check out Bill Arf's Wrangler thread, I just did a write up of my SMI Stay-in-Play Duo brake system there.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #14

we have the roadmaster system and have towed 6,000 miles last year . We have the all terain tow bar very nice tow bar.We also have the even break and like this system to. We tow A 2006 Trailblazer and when you un hook it you can not tell you tow unless you get down and look at it . We are close to 5,000 lbs and the tow bar is ok for 6,0000 pounds .We vidio taped the teck as he showed us how to hook up and we burned it to dvd and have it in the coach ic case we need it. hope this helps.