RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-10-2020, 06:16 PM   #1

Tow Bar Selection

Making slow but good progress (in my opinion) in getting our rig ready for use in Spring. Have a 2019 Newmar Ventana LE 37, and a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD for a toad. Next is selecting a tow bar. After searching, the selection seems endless, and I have no past experience to draw upon. Thus, for those more experienced, your input on tow bars to consider versus those you would avoid would very helpful. First hand experience would be the best for input but all input is welcome. BTW, the GMC is a daily drive when not being towed in the future, so cosmetic appearance is a consideration. The less obvious the toad modifications when not being towed the better. Thanks for the help.

PeteDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would go with the ReadyBrute Elite II towbars with built-in ReadyBrake. Rated at 12,000 lbs with lifetime warranty!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #3

All the manufacturers provide detailed installation instructions on their websites with photos of what a completed baseplate installation looks like. Check them out.
Readybrake
Demco
Blue Ox
Roadmaster

In no particular order.

What you want is the type that stores on the motor home, and has the collapsible arms. Some brands call that “all terrain “. That means the distance between the vehicles does not have to be exact to hook up, nor do they have to be precisely aligned. That’s mostly what’s offered these days, but you still see some without that feature.

With the all terrain sort, you just get “close enough”, and hook up the variable length arms. As you drive away the arms extend and lock in place at full extension.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:04 PM   #4

I have the Roadmaster Night Hawk. With base plates that are hidden. Ive had roadmaster tow bars for years with no problems. Be sure and get the correct weight rated tow bar for your truck. Good luck.
Jpiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:31 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I personally believe that Roadmaster makes the best tow bar, but it's usually the most expensive (maybe why it's not as popular).

I towed a Chevrolet Silverado 4 door for several years and for a few years with a RZR 800 in the bed. The Silverado weighed in at close to 6K. For that reason, I bought the Roadmaster Falcon 2 All Terrain, rated at 10K, giving me a safe cushion. It operates and handles as well as the smaller ones.

I also like the fact that the cables are incorporated into the tow bar arms and they use hidden base plates. You never hear about Roadmaster Tow bars or base plates breaking. JMO

Roadmaster shows up at big rallies and will rebuild one of their units for about $150.00. Last year, I had my 10 year old unit rebuilt at Quartsite. They inspected and then replaced all the bushings, making it like new.

Lastly, you need to pick a brake system. Ready Brute has an all in one system that includes the brake system into the tow bar. This saves you quite a bit. Personally, I think the Ready Brute is good for small cars, but I wouldn't use it on a large vehicle like yours. I like the SMI Air Force One, an air assisted (from the coach) proportional braking system, about a $1000.00.

If you are a DIY guy, you can do the install. The base plates are easy and there are YouTube videos. All in all, do it yourself tow bar, base plates and wiring will run about $2500.00.

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/produc...blackhawk2.php
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I run the NSA RB4000, used it with a blue ox tow bar and another brand before that, now use the RB4000 with the roadmaster night hawk, trust me when you get into some place that YOU HAVE TO BACK UP the roadmaster never binds up, you can always release it from the mh....been there and done that, yah they are expensive but when you get to a place that shows you made a mistake, roadmaster all the way!
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:51 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Correction, I have a Blackhawk 2 All Terrain, 10K bar, not the Falcon. The link above is correct.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:38 AM   #8

I've been towing a 6300# Avalanche with the Blue Ox Aventa bar rated for 10,000#. The baseplate is well hidden and once the tow adapters are removed, it's barely noticeable. I prefer the M&G brake system. It proportional with the MH air brakes and very smooth. I've had it on my last three Avalanches. I had the Aventa rebuilt at Quartzite once for $40 and rebuilt it once myself for $30 worth of bushings and washers. I've backed up with it on several occasions without issues. There might be better tow bars on the market, but I haven't seen the need to change.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:06 PM   #9

We have the roadmaster falcon all terrain, I can attest getting into a tough situation and having to unhook. It doesnít bind and you donít have to be level.
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:35 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We have the same tow bar set up. Been using it since 2006 & on 2 different toads. Problem free.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:50 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Used Roadmaster since I started towing a vehicle except when we had leased vehicles. Started with the old Sterling that could bind up. Finally upgraded to a Nighthawk when they first came out. I live 10 miles from their factory but found it cheaper online. No problems with it either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:14 AM   #12

I went with Roadmaster on my Colorado for several reasons but one is I like the Quick Disconnect Bar which provides additional lateral strength when towing.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow