Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Installed Blue Ox base plate on 2003 CR-V following their instructions. Was fairly simple but don't recommend it unless you have the mechanical aptitude. Took a full day plus 2 hours the next day but that included wiring up independent lights and brake away wiring. Don't recommend tying into the vehicles lighting with the diode kit, I'm an electrician by trade. Saved my self at least $600. Will do it again when I upgrade the toad.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Tackled the task yesterday on our 2012 F150 4x4 w Ecoboost. Followed the directions, had a couple questions and called Blue Ox. All went smooth till I put the bumper back on. Spent an hour plus getting it aligned, then thought 'how long did it take them in Mexico or MI, where ever the bumper was installed, to do it?' Ran the 12v from back of coach inside to power my brake system. Thought that was better than worrying about battery on PU going dead.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #17

We have a 99' Dutch Star w/ 300 HP diesel and a 09' Saturn. I've read good things on both the Eze Tow as well as SarahW's setup. When you factor the work of the tow bar install, the costs seem similar. Any thoughts on a choice? Thx
Old 04-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus
Tackled the task yesterday on our 2012 F150 4x4 w Ecoboost. Followed the directions, had a couple questions and called Blue Ox. All went smooth till I put the bumper back on. Spent an hour plus getting it aligned, then thought 'how long did it take them in Mexico or MI, where ever the bumper was installed, to do it?' Ran the 12v from back of coach inside to power my brake system. Thought that was better than worrying about battery on PU going dead.
Wiring the brake system directly from the coach instead of a charge line to the toads battery leaves you with out the brake away feature. Should. The toad become seep rated from the coach there'll be no power to the brake system. Many states & all of Canada requires the brake away feature.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobThompson View Post
We have a 99' Dutch Star w/ 300 HP diesel and a 09' Saturn. I've read good things on both the Eze Tow as well as SarahW's setup. When you factor the work of the tow bar install, the costs seem similar. Any thoughts on a choice? Thx
I believe the Eze Tow is a tow dolly, if it is remember you have to store it both at the campground and at home. It takes longer to load onto the dolly and tie the toad down then a tow bar. A friend used a tow dolly for one season, and when he seen my set-up went to a tow bar. Remember with SarahW's set-up you will need to ad the brake away feature as it is required in many states and all Canada. I did a lot of research before I set mine up and have no regrets. Blue Ox Adventa LX and Brake Buddy Vantage Select. The brake buddy allows you to select between full or proportional braking and sensitivity and driver notification on the fly from the remote, and is easy to set up.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDeCamper View Post
Remember with SarahW's set-up you will need to ad the brake away feature as it is required in many states and all Canada. I did a lot of research before I set mine up and have no regrets. Blue Ox Adventa LX and Brake Buddy Vantage Select. The brake buddy allows you to select between full or proportional braking and sensitivity and driver notification on the fly from the remote, and is easy to set up.
The breakaway setup is available from ReadyBrake for about $100 and installs easily with their towbar.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #21

Thanks Art and Sarah. I am not sure the 2 of you are talking about the same system. I believe SarahW has the readybrute which has the surge brake, not an electrical brake, not adjustable from the coach. I also would like to not modify our 09' Saturn and am trying to avoid any electrical connection to the toad. The magnetic lights should do that and an occasional brake light application shouldn't run the toad's batteries down. These may be mutually exclusive. I am leaning toward the Ready Brute Elite, either the Blue Ox or Demco Bracket, and the breakaway system. I remember seeing a post somewhere about adding a turnbuckle in the surge brake line for ease of brake sensitivity adjustment. Have you any thoughts on this,SarahW? Thanks to all. Bob T
Old 04-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are correct; we have the ReadyBrute Elite with integrated surge brake and breakaway. We also chose the Blue Ox baseplate and Cooltech wiring harness for our Jeep. It all works flawlessly and was DIY for about $1600 total.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via MSN to smallpond3500
I looked at drawings on the net and built my own baseplate.have one avantage work in tool and die shop with one million dollars of equipment
Old 04-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4fun View Post
Tanks, got the Tahoe down to 4980 on a certified Scale yesterday. Had to remove the spare tire to get it there. The Coach is well below 21K as we have almost nothing in it and will be traveling with tanks only partially full......
just my opinion, but I would not want to tow something that close to the weight limits. no spare tire?? someday you will want full tanks or to put something in the towd.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Blue Ox is the way to go. I have done a 2008 HHR and now tow a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. It weighs 5670 on a cat scale, and I stop it with a ready brake from Night Shift Auto. Their ad is in the back of the FMCA magazine. It is a surge brake with a cable that pulls the toad brakes. I have towed the ram for 6,000 miles with no issues. Buy the Blue Ox on line and get free shipping to boot.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDeCamper View Post
Wiring the brake system directly from the coach instead of a charge line to the toads battery leaves you with out the brake away feature. Should. The toad become seep rated from the coach there'll be no power to the brake system. Many states & all of Canada requires the brake away feature.
Whoops..... I thought I was doing good, just hadn't thought that one all the way through yet . Thanks for bursting my bubble, and bring me back to reality. I had not considered a total failure of my Blue OX including the safety cables.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I recetly bought a 2008 Monaco and researched the tow bar issue. I decieded on the Blue Ox - I had it installed on my 2012 Chev. Tahoe by an old established shop "Smittys" here is Houston - I was told that the libality can really be great if not installed by a cerified shop - with all the law suits today I could not affford to take any short cuts. I was very pleased with Smittys and would highly recommend - they also installed my in-line break sysem. Really works great. Clarence
Old 04-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No offense, but just as many "professionals" do shoddy work nowadays.