Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #1

Tow Bar suggestions for solo driver

I'm trying to decide on a tow bar for my rig. 90% of the time I am solo. I've seen the videos from the RVGeeks on the change they made to the Roadmaster Sterling where they show how their previous tow bar would bind while unhooking in certain situations, car was angled or downhill were examples.

They showed the Roadmaster and commented on the ease of the lock releases on the bars.

So my question is getting thoughts on the Roadmaster vs the Ready Brute Elite. I like the simplicity of the Ready Brute but wonder if there would similar challenges while solo in unhooking.

Rig will be a Dutch Star and GMC Canyon.

Thanks in advance.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2017, 11:24 AM   #2

although I am not 'solo', per se, I do all of the hooking up and unhooking of our toad - no problems, you never need to move the coach at the same time, etc... the unlatching handles release the pressure on the tow bar so that you can easily release the connections. Just put the vehicle in park/emergency brake before you do.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #3

We use the Ready Brute setup. Pretty easy to release pressure on couplings by twisting handles. Make sure you have parking brake set before twisting handles as car can roll forward if you are on an incline. You can usually remove the pins once pressure is released. Occasionally, yo may need to put the car in gear and move it forward an few inches.
One person hookup and disconnect is doable.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #4

Same deal. I'm not solo, but hook up and unhook myself.

I've done both in forestry campgrounds (uneven ground) with no issues.

The only issue I ever have is getting both bars to lock when hooking up, sometimes I need to reverse the toad and swing the steering wheel, but both click down into place eventually. Never had any problem at all unhooking.

Steve
Old 01-30-2017, 04:09 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I connect / disconnect my Blue Ox tow bar by myself all the time.

When disconnecting, there are a couple thing to do if tension is on the connectors, which is common unless on level ground and straight ahead. Turn the steering wheel of the toad full lock, maybe each way. This moves the toad just enough to remove the tension. Failing that, a bungee cord can be used to hold the levers depressed while you move the toad forward a couple inches. This removes the tension.

When connecting, no need to move the toad to lock the bars. They will lock as you pull away.

Overall, pretty easy.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:32 AM   #6

I have the readybrute elete and for 3 years have done all the hooking and unhooking alone with no problems. Very nice simple system. I have close to 15 ,000 tow miles on mine.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:16 AM   #7

I have the ready brute elite tow bar for the last year and a half and love it.
Both my wife and I have found it easy to unhook and hooked up.
I have done it solo and had no issues.
My wife took it from PA to Florida last year and had no issues with her solo.

The one thing I did change out was the tow car pins.
I changed them to the ready brute red handled loop pins it makes it eaiser to remove them(see link)
Heavy Duty Hitch Pins With Handles

Hope this helps..
Old 01-31-2017, 11:29 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a Sterling and have always hooked up and unhooked solo even before my wife died. Only a couple times since 2005 have I had a problem and then it was just needed to turn the steering wheel a little to unbind the latch. Mine's the old, original Sterling not the new, non-binding one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:33 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I guess I'm just old school! I do all the hook up and unhooking. I don't have one of those new-fangled sliding tow bars, just the good old solid bar. That said, I have no problems hooking up using the rear camera on the MH. Just get close with the PU, then hop into the MH and line up the receiver with the ball. Hop out, hook up, and off we go! I think I have about $300.00 invested in the tow set-up, including the Brake Buddy. I built my own tow attachments on the Ranger and did all the wiring also. Helps that I did a lot of fabricating and designing when I was working.
I must say that the sliding tow bars are very quick to hook up, but I feel there are too many variables with them. ie. moving parts, latches that can and do wear out. Good luck on whichever you decide on, and Happy Trails!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:48 PM   #10

Tow Bar suggestions for solo driver

Blue ox here, 12 years old.
I give it an annual lube job. Youtube taught me how.
I attach and release it by myself.
I find that squaring up with the motorhome helps.
To me it is important to have the reciever as close to level with the baseplate attachments to decrease binding.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:23 PM   #11

ReadyBrute Elite. Not solo, but DW has walking disability, so hook/unhook solo without difficulty. Biggest challenge for me is testing the toad brake lights if no one else is around!!! ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:41 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am a solo RVer and I have used the ReadyBrute Elite tow system for 5+ years and over 35,000 miles. Whenever possible I like to hook and unhook on level ground, but I've done it in some less than ideal places.

I've found it easier to back my RV to my toad as I know exactly where to stop based on what I can see in the rear camera. I also have a counting system to make sure I complete all of the steps needed to tow safely. When I get to 9 I know I have just 2 steps inside my Smart before pulling away. To check the lights I turn on the emergency flashers.

I did some minor damage over the years but happened to be south of Kansas City on a trip and decided to stop by NSA, makers of ReadyBrake, in Iola, KS to pick up some parts. I didn't call ahead to make an appt, but one of their techs installed the new parts -- NO charge for labor -- and helped me adjust the brake and breakaway cables. I can not say enough good things about this company!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Gary, if you're talking about one of the new Canyons.....BEFORE you buy base plates for your Canyon you should know that the Roadmaster base plates are installed where the tow hooks are located on your Canyon. The Blue Ox base plates mount higher up and the connections extend through the grill. This is fine for a gasser, but too high for a DP. My neighbor has a 2016 Canyon diesel with the Blue Ox base plates and they work well for his gasser. I have a 2016 Canyon gas and used the Roadmaster plates. Mine are a perfect height for my DP hitch.

I've installed a lot of baseplates on my own vehicles and on friend's vehicles and have never seen a vehicle where two different companies used two different connecting points. The Canyon is the first.

Here are my Canyon connections:

PM me if you have questions about the two mounting heights.....it's an important issue. You also have to disconnect the battery while towing. I installed an electric battery disconnect with a switch hidden in the glove box....makes life easy. I also have a typed procedure for putting the Canyon into tow mode and what to do if it doesn't go back into 2wd, an occasional problem some have had.

Lastly, I'm a Roadmaster Tow Bar fan. I think they're better designed, but also cost more, consequently not making them as popular.

When I disconnect my Canyon on anything that isn't perfectly level, I place the Canyon in gear and then apply the parking brake firmly and shut the truck off. When I release the tow bar arms, the truck will move forward just enough to make the pins easy to remove.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate1 View Post
I have the ready brute elite tow bar for the last year and a half and love it.
Both my wife and I have found it easy to unhook and hooked up.
I have done it solo and had no issues.
My wife took it from PA to Florida last year and had no issues with her solo.

The one thing I did change out was the tow car pins.
I changed them to the ready brute red handled loop pins it makes it eaiser to remove them(see link)
Heavy Duty Hitch Pins With Handles

Hope this helps..
I use hitch pins that look just like that, only I bought them at the local farm supply store. (Southern States was closest tome, but probably could also find them at Tractor Supply, etc.)

I quickly and easily hitch and unhitch from our Ready Brute Elite by myself with no issues at all.

Wayne
WNJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, solo, tow