Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question Tow Bar to Tabs Locking Pins

Thinking of replacing my 3 yr. old Blue Ox locking pins (caps seem loose). Before I buy the same brand again, I was wondering if there might be a more sturdy brand available. I like the Master hitch pins, but I don't think it is long enough. What locking pins are you all using? Thanks.......
G.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2015, 06:45 AM   #2

I'm not sure what pins you are talking about. Are you talking about the small pins you remove to disconnect the tow bar or do you mean the round twist lock pins that lock into the base plate? If its the ones that go into the base plate, I have a set that I'm not using that you can have for the price of the shipping.

jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Caps seem loose??? I too would like to know what pins.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The only "pin" I know of is the big 1/2" one that connects the towbar to the base plate, or perhaps the smaller clevis pin on those that acts as a retainer for the big 1/2" pin. But the "cap" on the 1/2" pin is an integral part of the pin and couldn't be "loose", so I'm perplexed.

Maybe a photo would help? Here is the Blue Ox item:
http://blueox.com/p-1387-bx88219.aspx
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lowes has a good selection of pins.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghutch View Post
Thinking of replacing my 3 yr. old Blue Ox locking pins (caps seem loose). Before I buy the same brand again, I was wondering if there might be a more sturdy brand available. I like the Master hitch pins, but I don't think it is long enough. What locking pins are you all using? Thanks....... they developed in
G.
I agree. They seem to loosten up as they age and I have lost 2 over the past year that I know were firmly locked before I started to pull that day. I'm thinking of some hardened hitch pins from Tractor Supply and drilling the locking hairpin holes larger for a good padlock. I'm seeing a lot of pin wear that I shouldn't be seeing and when I was farming, the hardened hitch pins took an unbelievable amount of abuse without a bit of wear.

We actually stopped using Blue Ox hitches due to the wear and looseness they developed in all the joint areas. We pull around 10-20,000 miles a year, but I was having to use steel shim stock to tighten up the joints as the hitches wore. New parts was no solution as they wore just as fast or faster.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:43 AM   #7

Can someone please post a pic of what pins they are referring to.
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe we are talking about the bent pins that keep the tow bar in the hitch receiver and the smaller bent pins that connect the tow bar clevis to the toad mounting plate. I drilled out the holes in the stock pins that came with our tow bar and purchased 3 matching keyed padlocks. Works great so far and I don't worry about someone fooling around with the pins when we are parked somewhere and not near the RV and toad.
Easyrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
original post edited for length..... I'm thinking of some hardened hitch pins from Tractor Supply and drilling the locking hairpin holes larger for a good padlock. I'm seeing a lot of pin wear that I shouldn't be seeing and when I was farming, the hardened hitch pins took an unbelievable amount of abuse without a bit of wear.
^^x2. Any good feed store, implement dealer, or hardware store will have a variety of hardened pins in stock; if you're lucky you might find some made in the US instead of China! I chose some with a larger "handle" to make inserting and removal of the pin easier.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #10

I use this set of locking pins. They are hardened steel. I use Brake Clean Spray to clean them and a CRC Spray Lube on them once or twice a year.

Blue Ox - BX88101 Receiver Lock Kit, 2-1/2, 1 5/8 Inch
Old 03-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry everyone, I thought the title would be enough explanation. Here's a link to the type of locking pins I am presently using and referring to.

Blue Ox® BX8859 - Trailer Hitch Pin Lock

After some investigating, I'm pretty sure that Master Lock .5" locking hitch pins will work. They have 2.75" in length and I only need 2.5". I will probably go back to the standard pin and clip until I get a new locking set.
I am using the BO Alpha tow bar.
Thanks for all the replies.
G.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghutch View Post
Sorry everyone, I thought the title would be enough explanation. Here's a link to the type of locking pins I am presently using and referring to.

Blue Ox® BX8859 - Trailer Hitch Pin Lock

After some investigating, I'm pretty sure that Master Lock .5" locking hitch pins will work. They have 2.75" in length and I only need 2.5". I will probably go back to the standard pin and clip until I get a new locking set.
I am using the BO Alpha tow bar.
Thanks for all the replies.
G.
That's what I'm talking about too.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
I agree. They seem to loosten up as they age and I have lost 2 over the past year that I know were firmly locked before I started to pull that day. I'm thinking of some hardened hitch pins from Tractor Supply and drilling the locking hairpin holes larger for a good padlock. I'm seeing a lot of pin wear that I shouldn't be seeing and when I was farming, the hardened hitch pins took an unbelievable amount of abuse without a bit of wear.

We actually stopped using Blue Ox hitches due to the wear and looseness they developed in all the joint areas. We pull around 10-20,000 miles a year, but I was having to use steel shim stock to tighten up the joints as the hitches wore. New parts was no solution as they wore just as fast or faster.
Pigman,
For what its worth, my research lead me to purchase 2 Master Lock # 1472DAT. It has a 2.75 inch width and is .5" diameter. I have been using the 5/8" version for several years on the MH hitch, with no looseness or rust. Got them from E-Trailer.
Master Lock Trailer Hitch Receiver Lock - Swivel Head - Flush Design - 1-1/4" Hitches Master Lock Locks 1472DAT

Tags
abs, tow