Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
csp

Monaco Owners Club
tow bar towing a Jeep Rubicon

I recently bought a Jeep Rubicon. I used to tow an older Jeep that was already set up for towing. I am going to haul the Jeep on a trailer for long trips but when we go for a short weekend trip I want to tow with a tow bar. I know that a lot of people tow Jeeps. The Rubicon has a different transfer case that has a 4 to 1 low range. Can they be towed with no problems. If so what is the procedure, tranny and transfer case in neutral or just the transfer case in neutral. It is a automatic tranny. I there a kit that wires in to run the lights? I would prefer plug in instead of hard wire if possible.
Does the Jeep gain miles during towing.
Thank You Chris

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Transfer case in neutral, transmission in park. Doesn't matter that it has a different gear ratio, since the wheels are disconnected from the transmission.

We use the Blue Ox wiring kit that adds bulbs to the housings.

The odometer doesn't count up while towing.

If it's a new Jeep (2009 or later), there's no wheel lock so you can take the key out totally with no problem.

joe

Old 09-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
First: What year Jeep Rubi..??? The 09's and 10's do not have a steering lock. Easy to tow.

I use a Blue Ox tow bar and car mount bracket. If you want a good pre wired setup for the Jeep check out Cool Tech on web, $100 bucks for the setup, plug in.

Also think about an aux braking system. Air Force One was my choice if you have a DP.

I tow a 2010 Jeep manual (4) door Sahara... love it. No miles show in tow.

Regards... Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the new Rubicon

I also use a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar, (Aventa). Cooltech wiring harness and US Gear Unified Tow Brake to pull my 09 Rubi Unlimited. The 2009's and up do not have steering lock so you don't need a key in the ignition to tow it.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
Congrats on the new Rubicon

I also use a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar, (Aventa). Cooltech wiring harness and US Gear Unified Tow Brake to pull my 09 Rubi Unlimited. The 2009's and up do not have steering lock so you don't need a key in the ignition to tow it.
Identical We have the same exact setup. By the way cooltech sells a small shock kit for the rear gate so it will not squash you on a hill.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
csp

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the responses
It is not a new one, it is a 03. I do a lot of wheeling with it and could not do that to a new one. I already get made fun of because I carry a pair of loppers and a hatchet to do tree clearing on the trails.
I will buy one of the cool tech set ups for lights. So I guess since others are towing Rubicons I can do the same. I did not know if the different transfer case made a difference. I have heard some transfer cases do not oil during towing. This also may be rumor.
Chris
Old 09-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #7

If your Jeep transfer case has a way to put it in neutral, you can tow it.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakrwee View Post
Identical We have the same exact setup. By the way cooltech sells a small shock kit for the rear gate so it will not squash you on a hill.
I actually installed the tailgate shock the first month I owned the Jeep. You are right, great product. I wish I would have had one on my first Wrangler. I have also installed the Cooltech license plate CB antenna mount.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
Thanks for the responses
It is not a new one, it is a 03. I do a lot of wheeling with it and could not do that to a new one. I already get made fun of because I carry a pair of loppers and a hatchet to do tree clearing on the trails.
I will buy one of the cool tech set ups for lights. So I guess since others are towing Rubicons I can do the same. I did not know if the different transfer case made a difference. I have heard some transfer cases do not oil during towing. This also may be rumor.
Chris
CSP,
I towed an 01 TJ with an automatic before I got the new JK and never had a problem. Since your Wrangler has steering lock you will need to leave the key in and on long trips and maybe pull the IOD fuse to save the battery from draining. An alternative to pulling the IOD fuse is to install a system that charges the toad battery from your MH. My US Gear Unified tow brake comes with that feature.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 03 TJ two door Rubicon and a 09 JK four door Rubicon. I have set them both up to be towed behind my Motorhome. About a year ago I replaced the Roadmaster StowMaster tow bar with a RoadMaster Blackhawk All Terrain 10,000# tow bar. The 03 Rubi I hard wired myself using a Diode block. The 09 Rubi I used the Cool Tech wiring harness. The 03 Rubi has a Manual tranny and the 09 Rubi is a Automatic Transmission. On both of them just put the Transfer case in Neutral and the Tranmission back in gear or the auto in Park. The 03 Rubi you have to put the Key in and turn it 1 click to unlock the steering column. The 09 Rubi does not have a column lock so after you put the Transfercase in neutral and the transmission in Park you take the key out and go. I have towed both of these since they were new and before them there was a new 92 YJ and a old 51 Willys. All of these 4 on the ground. Four Jeeps and Three Motorhomes later it is the only way to GO.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Here's a thread I did, with pictures, on how to disable the steering lock on a TJ disable steering lock?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #12

Relevant to the "Baseplate" requirement; I have about 15,000 miles towing a 2006 Wrangler with two $10.00 brackets (Bought from Blue Ox as I recall) bolted to the front bumper. This is a standard setup (Carter Jeep added the wiring kit and the brackets). Baseplates and installation cost substantially more.
Ernie

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I have a Blue Ox base plate for a jeep... fits right on my son's 2003 Wrangler ..it's in the Classified here on iRV2 for $100 plus shipping
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie n Tara View Post
Relevant to the "Baseplate" requirement; I have about 15,000 miles towing a 2006 Wrangler with two $10.00 brackets (Bought from Blue Ox as I recall) bolted to the front bumper. This is a standard setup (Carter Jeep added the wiring kit and the brackets). Baseplates and installation cost substantially more.
Ernie
Like these:

Not sure I'd use em with a stock front bumper (which I removed) but the steel on that rock crawler bumber is 3/16" thick and plenty strong. I used the backing plates that came with the towbar brackets behind the bumper to make darned sure the buts could never pull thru.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0835.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	5720