RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #57

I've been using mine now for over 10 years without any issue. I currently tow a 2018 Kia Soul Manual with any problems.

OutWestRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2018, 06:39 PM   #58

Ready Brute Tow Bar

I have used a Ready Brute with a surge brake since 2006. I have towed a Pontiac G6 and am currently towing a Chevy HHR. Haven't had any problems, a very good system.

Jack

barbicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:49 PM   #59

I put mine on a couple of years ago, works great. The part that took the most time was routing the wiring for the brake light on the motor home dash, crawling under without a hoist, laying on a creeper and running the wire for the brake light along with wire ties everywhere so it wouldn't interfere with any working parts or rub through through the insulation. I was 78 when I did it and I love it. I checked into other braking systems and most places wanted $2,000 and up. I have never had to make a panic stop with over 200,000 miles under my belt, I installed it because it's the law.
paulhuyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:04 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Almost 40,000 miles miles towing our Subie, with no problems. Last year I did the turnbuckle conversion by following a post with instructions here on this site. I think the poster was Fire Up. Works great!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #61

Hello My Friend. I have used a Ready Brute Surge Brake system for four years now towing a Jeep Liberty. We have had not issues with the system. We have had a couple of instances where we had to brake hard and hardly felt the toad pushing us.
Rene OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #62

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They all have a "BREAK-AWAY" CABLE, so if TOAD comes loose, it applies TOAD Brakes; (most) it actuates a switch that electrical motor pushes the TOAD brake using TOAD Battery
Old 11-08-2018, 08:30 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
Sheesh. Why such complication?

I use Brake Buddy, and there are others like it. It requires no installation. You set it on the floor, plug into cig lighter, do the startup and off you go.

In general you should not be using brakes when going down passes, which I do all the time living in Idaho. But when you do tap the brakes on the RV or manually downshift to slow the RV then the Brake Buddy applies the toad brakes. You can see it work on the lights on the indicator plugged into the RV lighter and connected wirelessly.

There are several systems like this.

There is absolutely nothing complicated about the Ready Brake system from NSA. Nothing to lug in and out of the toad. Nothing to adjust after initial installation.

A complete Ready brake system including tow bar, baseplate, wiring, breakaway, etc is less than the cost of most suitcase style braking systems. Way less.
AKIQPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #64

Love our set up by blue ox. Also have the break away set up. Would not tow without it.
Neenerosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #65

I have one , works fine. A few people have caught up the cable and burned up their brakes. The integrated units should be much better in this regard.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #66

[QUOTE=Allentc2;4478291]If I understand it properly, it's all inertia. As the tow vehicle slows, the inertia of the toad pushes against the tow bar which causes a lever(?) to tighten the cable attached to the toad's brake pedal, slowing it down as well.

Or something like that. LOL[/QUOTE ]

Correct.
Emeralde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:55 PM   #67

toad brakes

I have been considering one of these "mechanical" type tow bar brakes and in spite of all the good experience I have heard, I still have a question. The power brake is not activated unless the engine is running to provide vacuum. With no vacuum the brake pedal is difficult to depress and get reasonable braking. How does this cable operated setup provide sufficient braking. My Toad is a 2008 Mini, so less than 3000 lbs but I would prefer that it had brakes and it's required in some states (though I have never been challenged). Thanks for any insight.

John
johns928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:06 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Use Ready Brake to pull two different toads with Blue OX base plate. Simple to switch from one toad to another with different cable set for each.
Did install myself on both toads. Pulling/installing the front plastic grill/fenders on the Honda was a PITA. Broke a few plastic clips and replaced with small bolts. Still missing some mounting clips but it is staying put.
Base plate installation on Honda OK but on Nissan I needed to re-drill/ream holes.
Cable routing is tedious and takes a lot of thought esp with break a way to make sure it doesn't destroy something if activated. Adjusting braking cable isn't bad and the turnbuckle is a good idea.
I love the lights installed on MH dash. Blue LED connected to tow bar switch and red LED connected to toad brake light. I know right a way when surge then toad brakes are active.
No problems going down 6% grades. Toad brakes do not come on unless I use MH brakes.
I like mine.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Johns928

Brakes can be applied w/o power assist. It does take additional "push" but the brakes will come on. Ready Brake and other braking systems do push/pull the brake pedal with engine off. They are designed to work w/o power brakes.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:28 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns928 View Post
I have been considering one of these "mechanical" type tow bar brakes and in spite of all the good experience I have heard, I still have a question. The power brake is not activated unless the engine is running to provide vacuum. With no vacuum the brake pedal is difficult to depress and get reasonable braking. How does this cable operated setup provide sufficient braking. My Toad is a 2008 Mini, so less than 3000 lbs but I would prefer that it had brakes and it's required in some states (though I have never been challenged). Thanks for any insight.

John

I was skeptical at first for those same reasons. I was assured by many users on this forum that the Ready Brake system would have no problem activating the brakes even with no vacuum in the booster. Based on that experience and hundreds of reviews on line I decide on the Ready Brake system.

Installation was simple. Once installed but not hooked to the coach I tested the brake by pulling on the cable with my finger. Just using my finger on the cable loop actuated the cable enough to instantly stop the vehicle from a roll and there is no way you could push the vehicle, even going down hill, while i was tugging on the cable. The lever arm in the Ready Brake applies way way more force on the cable than my finger.

AKIQPilot is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, tow