Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #71

Ford Super Duty Owner
Another very long time satisfied ReadyBrake user here. I've used the system on too many toweds and motorhomes to count and all performed extremely well with no issues. The initial cost was a lot better than any of the "active" systems in a box and ReadyBrake is truly proportional. The towed brakes are only applied enough to keep the towed from pushing on the motorhome when stopping or going downhill - no adjustments are necessary once the cable length is correct. The harder you brake, the harder the pull on the cable to stop the towed. The breakaway acts like a check valve that only allows the separate breakaway cable to move one way. Once it pulls on the brake pedal to apply the brakes, it must be manually released. I tied the LED lamp into the towed's brake switch and ran a wire to the dash so I know when the towed brakes are applied and that works great - the power draw on an LED will never run down the towed battery.

One thing I need to correct from a previous post is that the cable to the brake does NOT NEED TO BE CENTERED on the bumper. You can call NSA to verify that - I talked to them at an FMCA rally and that's what they told me. A little off to one side or the other won't hurt a thing. The distance between the ReadyBrake lever and the bumper won't change even when turns are made.

I've got a BlueOx towbar that's as old as the ReadyBrake and I see RSA now sells an adapter to keep the brake cable from catching on the levers that release the towbar arm stops. I made my own after seeing the one they sell. Highly recommended!
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2018, 11:12 PM   #72

We have been using this tow bar now for about 3 years. Best way to tow our Jeep Wrangler!
2timestravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:16 PM   #73

Could you possibly post a picture of the bracket you made? Thanks.
Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:43 AM   #74

Using the full ready brute system 10 years now...I think I was one of the first, if not the first, to use both a turnbuckle and 2 LED's so that I can micro adjust the length of the cable and tell when the second LED (which is the brake pedal in the toad) comes on. Without both of these you can A) burn up the brakes on your toad if the cable is too short or B) not have any braking by the toad at all if the cable is too long. Highly recommend!
MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:05 AM   #75
JWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
I just learned about the NSA Tow Bar that has some kind of cable system that will operate the TOADs brakes. Is this a good system to tow a 2016 JEEP wrangler JKU
I will chime in also as to the Ready Brake system.
I have used one with our 2012 Jeep Wrangler. It is easy to install, it works great, and most of all it makes hooking up, or disconnecting the vehicle very quick and easy.
JWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #76

Well, I am one of the unlucky ones. I installed the redibrake, and it worked fine for a while. I was very careful to route the cable away from anything that gets hot. As I was driving down a country road, I saw what looked like smoke in my rear camera. When I got out to check it out, my front brakes were on fire, and the rears were smoking hot. I discovered that the nylon sleeve inside the black cable had softened, and locked the stainless interior cable in the pulled position. I called NSA, and they were aware of the problem. They were experimenting with a tubular heat shield. I told them that I had already replaced all my brakes, and was not looking for any reimbursement, in hopes that they would solve my problem. They insisted that I pay for a new cable, heat shield, and they would pay for shipping. How generous of them. I rerouted the new cable, installed the tubular heat shield, and hooked everything up. Everything was fine for a couple of trips. I would pull on the cable manually, before every hook up, to make sure it wasn't binding. Then it happened again, But this time I only had to replace the front brakes. I'm glade the rest of you have had good luck, but watch that cable. There was never any indication on the exterior of the black cable that there was an internal problem.
ALPINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #77

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
Not really the same as surge brakes.
I can't speak about how they work on a Jeep but work great on my 2014 F-150
You are correct in that they aren't really the same. But the principal is exactly the same. The inertia of the towed item exerting a force against an actuator. In big boat trailers the system is a closed hydraulic arrangement that causes the braking action. In toad applications a series of levers, pulleys, etc cause the activation of brakes.
I wish I had one those systems. Mine came with my used rig and is one of the removable type. I think is pain in the arse.
TedJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:38 PM   #78

NSA RV Products, Ready Brute Tow Bar

We've used this with good success on 2014 Winnebago 27N - Honda CRV with Blue Ox plate for 36,000 mi. Truck accessories dealer installed it. Aluminum pin holes wallow and get a little sloppy, would buy steel if they had been available.
Warning: We lost a pin on Interstate, one arm dropped to pavement, no damage done. If you use the P-shape lock pin, push it completely through the connector pin and do NOT stop at the dimple !
VistaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #79

ReadyBrute Elite on 2006 TJ, towing by the D-ring holes on the aftermarket bumper, worked like a charm.
Bought a 2015 JK and went with the Currie Baseplate, very tough.
Bought an new brake cable, new Bar Ends (to mate with the Currie baseplate) and a new breakaway cable and transferred onto the new jeep in less than a day (I'm a very slow worker).

Towed through the Canadian Rockies no issues. Can connect or disconnect in minuites.

Would recomend to anyone.

Steve
Old 11-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #80

Ready Brake Elite

8,000 miles and no problems
Vandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
ready brute

I have one for sale if anyone would like to buy it. After downsize we don't tow anything anymore have 2 sets of ends roadmaster, and blue ox, just the tow bar and safety cables , no other accessories such as brake cable ect.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #82

The best way to avoid any problems with the brakes being applied too long and overheating is to install the brake light on the dash of the motor home so you are aware of the toad brakes being applied. Simply splice into the brake light switch on the toad, run a wire to the mh dash so every time the toad brake is activated the light on the mh dash goes on.
paulhuyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
2019 JL Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouaggie View Post
I have been getting my JK Wrangler ready to tow over the last month or so. I replaced the factory bumper with a Rock Hard aluminum Patriot Series bumper (https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-5045.htm). I then installed the CoolTech wiring harness, routing this from the rear left taillight through the main frame rail on the left side of Jeep all the way to front. I spray painted the connector cover before drilling a hole in bumper and installing. I then installed the RSA brake cable and breakaway cable to the Jeep brake pedal. The main brake cable (silver loop) is just to the side of the license plate - slightly off center but not far off. There is a small square hole on either side of bumper at bottom and used the driver side hole for the emergency breakaway cable install (see red loop). My neighbor has a lift in his garage so I used that which was a big help.

Everything came out clean and I hooked it up to the motorhome this past weekend and drove around the neighborhood to test it out. Lights and blinkers worked perfect first time and cable worked fine. I think it's a bit too loose as it only brakes the Jeep if braking hard from faster speeds so I might tighten it up just a tad. First road trip towing the Jeep is to Big Bend for Thanksgiving so two more weeks to get everything tidied up. A few pics attached below.

My only concern is that the tow bar angles up very slightly to the Jeep tow points (maybe 1") - which the instructions say is a no-no. I am going to try to get to a more level surface and measure again as my driveway is slightly sloped. Worst case I might get a 2" drop hitch and flip it over to raise the receiver on the motorhome end. Any suggestions or tips welcome if you have dealt with this issue.

Bayouaggie, I am getting ready to order the Rockhard Patriot and the Readybrute elite for my soon to be delivered Wrangler. What clevises did you order from Rockhard and what did you get from Readybrute to attach the towbar to the clevises on the bumper.
Thanks Russ
Arctickats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:14 PM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I had to get the clevis from NSA ReadyBruite. They send you a diagram where you give them the measurements of your TABs.
Remember they don't send you the pins to attach the TowBar to your bumper. They made the clevis out of aluminum and it looks like it will work out great.
Curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, tow