Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tow Bar with built in Brake?

I just learned about the NSA Tow Bar that has some kind of cable system that will operate the TOADs brakes. Is this a good system to tow a 2016 JEEP wrangler JKU
Curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2018, 09:09 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just installed this tow bar this week.took it for a maiden voyage test run this morning. Works like a champ!
Ready Brute Elite! I bought it through Hitchsource.
Good price and they threw in a few extras and a discounted price on the Baseplate.
markarbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:53 PM   #3

Ready brute elite. It is a very simple system both to install and when in use. What most people do is install a turnbuckle between hitch and vehicle so you can make minor adjustments to how much brake is being applied.
I use a Currie Ent base plate with the ready brute tow bar.
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:54 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have been using the ReadyBrute Elite with built-in ReadyBrake for 6 years with no problems.

NSA has the same thing now except steel instead of aluminum and is rated at 12,000 lbs instead of 8000. Not sure what they call that one but I would definitely get it.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:24 AM   #5

Good system.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:02 AM   #6

I use Ready Brake for the last several years. Tow 2004 TJ.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:18 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Exactly what I have to tow our 2016 Wrangler JKUS. Installed it all myself. Has worked great since installing. I like the beefiness of the bar. I also like that I didn’t have to tap into the coach airlines. Since I was doing it all myself, I didn’t feel confident in cutting lines.

In my mind, if the brake cable isn’t EXACTLY tight enough to engage the brakes in slowing the Jeep down, no big deal because the tow bar is so beefy, it can handle a little extra pressure. After some time, you’ll find if your cable need adjustment. I adjusted mine once when someone on these forums noticed it was too tight. They say let it hang about 2in from center right in the middle. That seems about right from my experience.

I also installed their breakaway unit. It’s simple and easy to install. I’m of the mindset it’s irresponsible not to have a breakaway...just in case.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:53 AM   #8

Anothere fan of the Ready Brake/Ready Brute system. Simple installation. Works great. Priced great.

When I bought mine there were about 60 reviews on Amazon. All but 2 were 5 stars. The 2 low reviews were because the instructions werent clear. I had already read through the instructions so I knew the instructions were good.

Great system, so glad I went with the NSA system.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:01 AM   #9

For the DIYers.....what's required tool-wise/skill-wise? LOL I should be getting mine this evening (AFTER I drop the Jeep off for some work LOL). Is this something Joe Average can do (install the brake/breakaway brake stuff) or do you really need some shop experience?

It's going on a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited.
Allentc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:11 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Installation is a rather straight forward process and doesn't require much experience. It might require a certain amount of agility to route the cable, drill the holes in the floor board and connect the cables to the brake pedal. Not complex at all but does require that you have the agility and dexterity to do it. I can do it....I'm 72 years young!

Ready Brake is a great way to have brakes on your toad. Ready Brute tow bar is reasonably priced and at 8000 lbs capacity it is far beyond what most of us would ever tow. I've had mine since 2008 and towed my Cherokee (3500 lbs) for more than 50,000 miles.

NSA 12000 lbs tow bar uses Ready Brake with a 12000 lb tow bar instead of the 8000 lb Ready Brute. I guess the tow bar is a personal preference.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:49 PM   #11

Installation is pretty straightforward. I had the luxury of using a lift at my buddies shop. This made installing the base plate much easier by not having to do it on my back. As said it takes a little bit of contortions to attach cables to brake pedal
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:14 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
What I did before actual purchase is watch a bunch of YouTube videos to get a sense of the task at hand, and to know all the necessary parts needed before actual ordering. Then, after receiving, the installation instructions were pretty clear and it was a straightforward install.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #13
EJG

I just bought a new Jeep Wrangler JL to replace the Samurai towd I had and need to buy a new tow bar & brake system

I like the simplicity of the Ready Brake

Any issues on long downhill mountain grades while using the transmission tow feature to use engine to keep the vehicle slowed down? Does the ReadyBrake actuate with the engine holding you back?
EJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:46 AM   #14

No.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, tow