Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Question,
How do you know it was "Like New"? Did you take it apart to see what condition the lock pins are in? Do you know that the previous owner had not used it to Back Up and thereby compromised the locking pins and arms?
Well, if he was like we are he could drive over to RoadMasters HQ, drop it off and come back the next day to pick it up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Question,
How do you know it was "Like New"? Did you take it apart to see what condition the lock pins are in? Do you know that the previous owner had not used it to Back Up and thereby compromised the locking pins and arms?

Like New can be deceiving. Unless you are a person that understands how the device works and what can cause it to fail, I suggest buying a new one that is installed by a qualified person that can explain the do's and don't s
It's not always about the cheapest way out. Safety does have a roll to play.
IMHO,,,
I would think stopping would put as much or more pressure on the pins than a simple strait line backup. They are round hardened steel that really don't give a care from which direction the pressure is coming...JMHO
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Towing with the basic "A" frame is kind of like towing a trailer, As you know, if you have ever towed a trailer. you must line up PERFECTLY in both right/left and foward/backward dimensions. if you are off even 1/2 inch you can't hook up.

With my Blue Ox tow bars which I used for four years as a part timer, then 1 year full time, then took 3 years off towing and am using again.. I think I hit perfect one time. I can be several inches off, I can come in at an angle, and too far forward/backward is not a problem either.

PLUS... You missed something. The ready brute comes, I believe with the ready brake (At least as an option if not part of the tow bar) and that is half the cost of the tow bar all by it's lonesome. You MUST have a braking system for the jeep. that's it.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh, as for "Stopping would put as much pressure on the pins as straight line back up"

Well, NO, you see, you have the thing the law in many states (if not all) requires called AUX Braking Systems, and those kick in when you go to stop the motor home.

On the Ready brute it's fully automatic, when the car presses up against the motor home.. The car's brakes come on,,,Just enough to ease the pressure.

But if you are backing up, the brakes come on and it INCREASES the pressure.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Oh, as for "Stopping would put as much pressure on the pins as straight line back up"

Well, NO, you see, you have the thing the law in many states (if not all) requires called AUX Braking Systems, and those kick in when you go to stop the motor home.

On the Ready brute it's fully automatic, when the car presses up against the motor home.. The car's brakes come on,,,Just enough to ease the pressure.

But if you are backing up, the brakes come on and it INCREASES the pressure.
Not on a stowmaster 5000, which was referred to in the post......also, just because the law may require aux brakes, many do not use them.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Not always a true statement either because in some states (WA, OR and CA come to mind) a motorized vehicle being towed by another motorized vehicle is not, by definition, a "trailer".

Quote:
RCW 46.04.130
Combination of vehicles.

"Combination of vehicles" means every combination of motor vehicle and motor vehicle, motor vehicle and trailer or motor vehicle and semitrailer.

RCW 46.04.165
Driveaway-towaway operation.

"Driveaway-towaway operation" means any operation in which any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer, singly or in combination, new or used, constitutes the commodity being transported when one set or more wheels of any such vehicle are on the roadway during the course of transportation, whether or not any such vehicle furnishes the motive power.

RCW 46.04.620
Trailer.

"Trailer" includes every vehicle without motive power designed for being drawn by or used in conjunction with a motor vehicle constructed so that no appreciable part of its weight rests upon or is carried by such motor vehicle, but does not include a municipal transit vehicle, or any portion thereof
Under the laws of WA, OR and CA, the "combination vehicle" braking requirements become a performance spec.
WA and CA have the same spec. Stop from 20 mph in 50 ft. OR is tougher, stop from 20 mph in 35 ft. If you can do this then no aux. braking is required.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Whatever tow bar you prefer and Whether or not you can avoid the requirement of aux brakes, I would not like to have any vehicle I am towing to have the opportunity to break away and somehow kill someone because I did not have the aux brake with this safety feature. That would be a tough one to live with and should be kept in mind when deciding the purchase or not.
IMHO
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Whatever tow bar you prefer and Whether or not you can avoid the requirement of aux brakes, I would not like to have any vehicle I am towing to have the opportunity to break away and somehow kill someone because I did not have the aux brake with this safety feature. That would be a tough one to live with and should be kept in mind when deciding the purchase or not.
IMHO
I agree, which is why my KK-460 has surge brakes (for when I tow on the dolly) and a BrakeMaster setup with breakaway for when I tow four down. Yes, I tow both ways with the same towed behind the same MH. Frankly I prefer the dolly.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let's stay on topic and not start one of the age old debates again.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote