Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:31 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Tow Bars?

Why does the Blue OX seem to be the preferred system?
Cost/Value
Ease of use
Quality
All the above

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
More/better advertising! As a retired Transportation Engineer I like the extra crossbracing that RoadMaster has, but it is kind of ugly. I'm more into strength than good looks.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:53 PM   #3

I agree with Mr D. I've installed several baseplate and towbar for friends. Several have used blue ox and several roadmaster. The roadmaster cross piece isn't the most attractive if you leave it on after towing. But it also makes it much stronger. As Mr D said I'm all about the strength.

There's a thread on the Monaco forum now where a blue ox towbar failed. Several others had chimed in on their blue ox failing, only one from roadmaster. I'm certainly not bashing blue ox cause there are many thousands of them in use and very few failures. This is just my $.02. As someone else said, take it for what it cost you.

Chad
Old 01-09-2016, 06:05 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
I used the Demco base plate and Ex-caliber tow bar. Very strong.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:30 PM   #5

I'm looking now. I did learn Blue Ox has a 3yr warranty and RoadMaster only has 1yr warranty. Now looking at ReadyBrute Elite which has a built on brake system. All are expensive.

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
Old 01-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #6

Ready Brute Elite tow bar system

I am also looking into this system (toad = Ford Flex). I have heard nothing but great reviews from those that have posted, very few negatives from owners. However, the parts department has pointed out a few things that they have run into - the most recent comment: when coming down a steep hill the brake engages so much that they have had to replace tires due to flat spots being created (due to brakes locking).

I don't know if this was caused by end user or by correct usage.

I will share the best pricing I have received on this product is from HitchSource.com

Also, in comparison.. finding tow bars (complete sets) have been easy for me on craigslist. Finding a good used brake assist is a different story.

I have pulled out the set up of the base plate/labor/wiring and it's labor out of the equation. I have been surprised that shops are breaking down the labor for plate and wiring install different and not bundled together.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #7

Blue Ox customer support is exceptional.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 01-09-2016, 08:25 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have Blue Ox because it was a good brand and found available via craigslist at a good price.

If buying new, I would go with the ReadyBrute Elite. Best bang for the buck and works very well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Why does the Blue OX seem to be the preferred system?
Cost/Value
Ease of use
Quality
All the above

Perception is that blue ox is the preferred, but I think you'll find that people hit the nail on the head in that they are the LOUDEST with advertising. Google "tow bar failure". Multiple Blue Ox, one roadmaster that I found, no Demco failures I could find, also no Brute failures.

Blue Ox will inspect, clean, and lube their tow bars for $35.00 a crack, either send it in, or go to a rally where they have a booth. Demco will disassemble, clean, lube, replace seals, boots, pins, etc for free. You need to either ship it to them, make an appointment to come by their factory in IA, or find them at a rally. If you take it by the factory with an appointment, it takes about 3 hours. If you ship it to them, it takes about 3 weeks. Ask me how I know!

Personally like the Demco, they are priced right, and hold up well. I think two of the failures of other brands on the forum happened at around two years and five years . . . .One had less than 20k miles on it when inspected, Blue Ox said it was "worn out"!

ReadyBrute would be on my list if I purchased new. I would avoid the Elite, as I've heard of too many brake problems with it, but the standard ReadyBrute is awesome. Also, ReadyBrute has a lifetime guarantee!
Gotta love a company that feels good enough about their product to do that!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:46 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Never had anything but Roadmaster and no problems to date in over 200,000 miles of towing.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:04 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There was one report on the forum of a failed RoadMaster, OP was pretty outspoken about the poor quality of RoadMaster. Finally he posted pictures and my take on it from the pictures was that the bolts worked loose on one side and fell out. That allowed the other side to bend the frame rails and break off. No, I'm not a failure engineer but that's what the rust and twisted metal looked like to me. One of the things that RoadMaster says is that you need to check the bolts and retighten if necessary and the OP never did come forward with any info on maintenance.
RoadMaster used our '05 Odyssey as a test fitting of the first production unit off the line and I've never had anything loosen up after they installed it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:58 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can buy a Blue Ox Aladdin from a local guy in my area for $265 and a ready brake for $150. The Aladdin is only a 5000 lb. capacity. I don't have my toad decided on yet but I'm trying to keep around 3500-4000 lb. Any thoughts on this set up?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"tmw188"....The only thing I would caution against is the length of your final tow bar assembly. You're adding the Ready Brake to another brand of tow bar which adds another foot. If you need a drop down on your hitch, it adds even more. My neighbor pieced several systems together to save money. When he was done, he had about 6' of stuff between the MH and the toad. It also requires controlling the wire that pulls the brake on, because it now longer and can get in the way.

If you like the Ready Brake, buy the Ready Brute tow bar with it built in.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:39 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"tmw188"....The only thing I would caution against is the length of your final tow bar assembly. You're adding the Ready Brake to another brand of tow bar which adds another foot. If you need a drop down on your hitch, it adds even more. My neighbor pieced several systems together to save money. When he was done, he had about 6' of stuff between the MH and the toad. It also requires controlling the wire that pulls the brake on, because it now longer and can get in the way.

If you like the Ready Brake, buy the Ready Brute tow bar with it built in.

Ok good to know. What about the tow bar itself? Decent,cheap? He said he bought it used in 06 used once on a Rav 4. I might go look at it not real crazy with the cabling system?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Tags
tow