Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2009, 11:28 PM   #1

tow bars for towed vehicles

have the motorhome, need more advice: does one size towbar system like blue ox fit all vehicles or do you have to buy specific for the vehicle your planning to tow??????????
question 2: the braking system for the towed vehicle, what do you recommend and what is the cost of the braking system???
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2009, 05:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
have the motor home, need more advice: does one size tow bar system like blue ox fit all vehicles or do you have to buy specific for the vehicle your planning to tow??????????
question 2: the braking system for the towed vehicle, what do you recommend and what is the cost of the braking system???
Most any tow bar will fit most any vehicle. They are weight rated, and if you tow a very heavy vehicle, you need to make sure the tow bar is rated for the weight you are going to tow. Some mount to the motorhome receiver and can stay there when not in use, some can stay on the car when not in use depending on the type of unit, usually all are removable for storage. Price ranges from about $300 to $1,500.

Each towed vehicle requires a bracket (or set of brackets) or bar to be mounted to the vehicle that the tow bar can attach to. Brackets or bars are vehicle specific and usually can't be moved from one vehicle to another. These brackets or bars are usually tow bar brand specific although each brand usually makes an adapter to allow you to use the other brands tow bar. These brackets or bars run from $150-$800

For towed vehicle braking, there are many options. They tend to fall in one of two categories either proportional braking based on the towing vehicle or non-proportional based on momentum of the stop. All normally have a breakaway feature that activates the brakes in the event the vehicle becomes separated from the motorhome.

There are surge type products that attach to the motor home and forward braking momentum actuates a cable that pulls the towed vehicles brake pedal. There are units that install in the cars braking system. There are types that use an air brake supply from the motorhome to actuate the braking. There are also simple types that sit on the floor of the vehicle and actuate the brake pedal. Prices for braking systems run between about $300-$2000.

If you get a tow bar, brackets and braking sytem from a dealer and have them do the installation, your are looking at about $1800 to $3000. If you can do the installation yourself, you can buy off the internet and save quite a bit of money.

Look at the products on the internet and judge the benefits verses cost for yourself. Everyone will have their own preferences and suggestions, usually based on what they chose.

Hope this information helps you.

Jim
Old 08-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are a few different types of tow bars.. Systems like the Blue-Ox Aventa II work on most any vehicle up to the capacity of the tow bar (IE: 5,000 or 10,000 pounds depending on the bar our buy)

You do need the base plate (Where the tow bar attaches to the car) that is specific to the car you are towing

The old fashion "A" frame tow bars are more vehicle specific.

But the modern "Self Storing" units Like the Blue-OX Aventa LX (10,000 pound capacity) or Aladdin (5,000 pounds) one tow bar, with the proper base plate, fits all
Old 08-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
Most any tow bar will fit most any vehicle. They are weight rated, and if you tow a very heavy vehicle, you need to make sure the tow bar is rated for the weight you are going to tow. Some mount to the motorhome receiver and can stay there when not in use, some can stay on the car when not in use depending on the type of unit, usually all are removable for storage. Price ranges from about $300 to $1,500.

Each towed vehicle requires a bracket (or set of brackets) or bar to be mounted to the vehicle that the tow bar can attach to. Brackets or bars are vehicle specific and usually can't be moved from one vehicle to another. These brackets or bars are usually tow bar brand specific although each brand usually makes an adapter to allow you to use the other brands tow bar. These brackets or bars run from $150-$800

For towed vehicle braking, there are many options. They tend to fall in one of two categories either proportional braking based on the towing vehicle or non-proportional based on momentum of the stop. All normally have a breakaway feature that activates the brakes in the event the vehicle becomes separated from the motorhome.

There are surge type products that attach to the motor home and forward braking momentum actuates a cable that pulls the towed vehicles brake pedal. There are units that install in the cars braking system. There are types that use an air brake supply from the motorhome to actuate the braking. There are also simple types that sit on the floor of the vehicle and actuate the brake pedal. Prices for braking systems run between about $300-$2000.

If you get a tow bar, brackets and braking sytem from a dealer and have them do the installation, your are looking at about $1800 to $3000. If you can do the installation yourself, you can buy off the internet and save quite a bit of money.

Look at the products on the internet and judge the benefits verses cost for yourself. Everyone will have their own preferences and suggestions, usually based on what they chose.

Hope this information helps you.

Jim

have any of you installed the tow bar,brackets and lighting, if so, how difficult is it. my husband is mechanically good on repairs. how long does it usually take to do this??? have any of you purchased on line and had a dealer install??? we are thinking about the aladdin and we bought a 2005 chevy cavalier as a tow car.....anyone know how difficult it is on this vehicle??? thanks
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:54 PM   #5

I did the install myself, except for having tabs welded onto the front bumper of my Jeep at a shop. This eliminated the need for a baseplate.

I chose the Blue Ox Aventa towbar and use magnetic mount lights. It takes about 5 minutes to hitch up or disconnect.

Blue Ox has great support, so if your hubby does the work himself and need a little advice, they will be just a phone call away.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Little of both.. Though the Blue Ox Alladin or Aventia tow bars are more or less universal (Fit anything) each car requires a special base plate that is specific to only a few models.

Same for Roadmaster towing systems

And if you wish to "Econmize" and go with one of the old style "A-Frame" systems... Same there too.

So the tow bars, are the same for all. but the base plate (Towed vehicle adapter) is custom.

Now, the flip side of this is that if you have a truly strange vehicle a good weld shop can make a custom base plate for you in less than an hour. If you have a common vehicle the hitch supplier will have one in stock.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #7

I chose to use the Blue Ox Aventa for my rig. Usually whoever you buy it from will help you with the correct size and selection. try these guys out. www.discounttowingsupply.org
adamruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Another option to consider is something like the Ready-Brake Tow Bar - this is our first MH and looking to get an older TOAD; thinking this might be the best way to go just starting out.
dkhender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The tow bars themselves are "one size fits all" as it were.. However the Base Plate (The part that is physically attached to the towed car) is specific to the make and model AND to the tow bar.. That is roadmaster and Blue Ox use slightly different base plates.

So if I trade in my towed for a better one (Which I will do soon as I have the $$$$) All I need is a new base plate,,, I will use the same tow bar.

(And a few other mods to make it towable in all likely hood)
Old 02-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
A lot of people purchase a diode pack from Camping World or a dealer and use the existing lights on the tow, some use various add on lights.

Here again if you are mechanically handy the cheapest way is to make your own diode packs and use the existing lights on your tow, it is not a great challenge.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhender View Post
Another option to consider is something like the Ready-Brake Tow Bar - this is our first MH and looking to get an older TOAD; thinking this might be the best way to go just starting out.
This is what we use and couldn't be happier with the setup.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote