Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-24-2005, 11:13 PM   #1

Got a new 2005 Itasca Sunrise with a new 6 plug electric fitting tow car already installed. I have the tow car with a 4 plug electric fitting already installed. The car is wired up with only three wires, so do I go with the four plug wire harness from motorhome to car? Any ideas, besides take it in to a shop?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2005, 11:13 PM   #2

Got a new 2005 Itasca Sunrise with a new 6 plug electric fitting tow car already installed. I have the tow car with a 4 plug electric fitting already installed. The car is wired up with only three wires, so do I go with the four plug wire harness from motorhome to car? Any ideas, besides take it in to a shop?

Old 05-25-2005, 12:23 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Sounds like your car is wired for lights only(running,brake & Turn). The extra wire from the motorhome would be for a brake accessory such as a Brake Buddy.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:45 AM   #4

Sounds as if a standard adapter from 6, to 4 will work. most any RV supply house or trailer sales place should have them. I use one when I pull a ulity trailer.

Jack
Old 05-25-2005, 06:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Headcheese, what you'll find is a standard connecton with the 6-round. You should of got a matching plug with the coach, if not, you can get one from any rv dealer/camping world store.

Now for the connections. The two pins that are not used are marked as 'S' and 'A'. The 'S' pin will be on the outside and the center pin will be the 'A' pin. These are used when you install a brake controller, remco pump control, etc. The remaining 4 pins are ground, TM, RT, & LT.
If you have yellow turn signals then you will need to add what is called a 3 to 2 converter. This combines the seperate brake signal to come out on the LT & RT signal wires. Now for color codes. Most RV dealers and CampingWorld locations use the follow for standard 4 wire connections. Ground=White, LT=Yellow, RT=Green, and TM=Brown. TM is your running lites, marker lites, etc. I forgot to mention that if you do not have yellow turn signals on the coach, then NO 3 TO 2 convertor is required.

If your only towing a car, you will only will need 4 wires to the car. A 4-flat wire cable which will have White,Brown,Yellow,Green wires. How you connect to the 4-round will be determined how the mating connector is wired on the car. This you will need to figure out. Once you ID what wire goes where, then you can connect the correct pin to the corresponding wire to the 6-round connector.

I hope I didn't confuse you. It's fairly simple. Good luck.

Jim
RV tech
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I would buy a 6 wire umbilical cord. Then I'd remove the 4 pin socket on the coach and replace it with a 6 pin socket. Now your pretty much standard.

You only need to connect 4 wires for now (right-left-tail-ground) but later on your going to want to add a tow brake system. At that time you may need the extra 2 wires so it's best to have them in place from the start so that you don't have to buy stuff twice.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote