Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #1

Tow Daddy

Found something new, at least to me. Its called Plug -N-Tow by http://www.towdaddy.com/products.htm.

From the literature it is a diode system made in a controller that connects the car tailights just by plugging in. No splicing of wires.

Any body heard anything about this or used one?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think that is fairly standard,, On most (heck all) cars and pick ups and such there is a cable, usually runs under the driver's door, that runs from the dash to the rear, this cable carries all the wires for the rear lights, the fuel pump, the fuel sensors and such. Just one bundle of wires.

Due to the way they are installed there is always a connector either under the dash or (And I don't like them here) hidden in the wall behind the driver's front tire. If I were designing tow light diode systems.. That is where I'd connect them, I'd just hook in at the connector.

So if this is a NEW product, I'd be surprised... Very surprised,, I'd think that is how it would always be done.. Epically since the odds of some flunky techincian getting 4 wires all hooked up right (Well 10 really) are quite low.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #3

I don't know what went off track here, but I was refering to the plug and tow system. Nothing to do under the dash. The plug n tow is plugged in at the taillight and the only wiring is run back to the motorhome.

Looking for someone who has used this product.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

More info on the product here:
Tow Daddy - The Best Designed RV Products on the Planet

Installation instructions for the Universal kit here:
http://www.towdaddy.net/802_instructions.pdf

According to the instructions for the Universal Plug N Tow kit, there are still wires to cut and re-connect. It's only the vehicle specific versions with custom wire harnesses that plug right in. There are about 30 of those available, it says.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The thing I noticed was that the kit is $170. But the simplicity of the custom versions makes it a very good idea.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #6

I found it at other places for under $130. A Little pricy , but simple.

I guess no one has tried it.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #7

Thumbs up Tow Daddy Plug n tow

Saw your Post Thought I could Let you Know About it.

I Have Installed Both the Plug n tow and the universal kit

The Plug n tow Was Very Easy Took just 10 Minutes they use oem plugs that directly plug into the existing plugs they Only Have this option for the top towed Cars Only thing that needs to be done after plugging in the plugs is to ground the system and run the 4 wire flat to the front of the car

TowDaddy is a newer company But Ive Noticed that Some of my distributors are carrying this product now And I Am Sold on the product Due to Cutting install time down to nothing And it does not Void the warrantty On the Car As to where with Some when you Cut the wires your warrantty is voided...

The universal kit You Have to cut wires But it is still simple because there are no bulky Diodes in the way the module board that comes with it Mounts In the middle of the car underneath it or sometimes if you prefer you can put it inside the car...

This product Has been talked about by the Rv Doctor as well at a Fmca Show You can find how to videos on you tube as well I Run and operate a Mobile Rv repair Business so this product Makes my job very easy ANd saves me loads of time
Old 05-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #8

Thanks for the reply. Seems no one is using it yet, at least no one who is reading the posts. The Mfg told me that camping world will be handling af of last friday.

Mine should arrive today from RV upgrades.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #9

Welcome

Yes It is Relatively New and alot of people are just finding out about it
a customer of mine told me about it. You Will Have to Let us all know your opinion on it as well I think you will be very happy with it. the led lights on it make it easy to know if it is working properly. they also sell autofuses that automatically disconnect your fuse if need be due to some cars having to have a fuse pulled I have yet to install one of these but seems like a great idea
Old 05-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #10

JCC

Just installed mine system. Curious how you completed the connection at the front of the toad. Seem's the Tow Daddy comes with a vehicle 4 wire flat instead of a trailer 4 wire flat. I wanted to try the system by connecting it to my pickup which has a 7 pin to 4 wire flat adapter. Both the my truck and the tow daddy had the same configuration 4 wire plug. I ended up splicing a 4 wire flat into my pigtail from my motor home. Just wondered how others are doing this.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #11

hey

well since you are towing a car and not a trailer this is why they use this plug.

Myself personally i always put on a 4 wire round plug or 6 wire just depends on the coach it is really up to the customer. \

how was the install did it go well
Old 05-12-2011, 05:51 AM   #12

Installation went well, just plug into tail lights. I had a hard time finding a flat place to mount the controller. It ended up under the rear bumper. Pulling the wire formard was also fairly simple. Tow Daddy is sending me a pigtail connector so I can wire to a round fixed in place plug without cutting any wires.

You need to remember to turn on your mtr hm lights if you are using a supplemental braking system. This allows your turn signals to keep working when supplemtal braking is applied.

The controller is wired with a short black wire if you want to run it to the dash of your mtr hm to allow a signal to be sent when the toad brakes are applied. I opted not to wire this for now as I already have a remote indication from my supplemental system. Good idea though.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just installed the plug-n-tow wiring system on my 2010 Ford Escape. Very easy to use once you find a spot to mount the "box" and decide where and how to run the 4 wire harness to front of vehicle. As advertised, it's plug and play.....no cutting into wiring. As mentioned, a little pricey but bought mine thru RV Upgrades for $128.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via MSN to smallpond3500
I went toauto junck yard and got a tail light wires with concetors on end and then ran a different wire to front plug ton tow bracket.Ijust unplug stock concetors plug in mine discoconect drive shaft which is also in trunck and go.