Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #1

Tow dollies

Hi everyone !! We just bought our first motorhome. Its a 36 ft. 2000 fleetwood southwind with a triton V10. [dont know if the V10 is good or bad] I also bought a new tow dolly with elec. brakes. Can someone tell me how to tow my 2000 jeep grand cherokee, 6 cyl. auto trans. with four wheel drive. I also would like to tow my 2001 jeep grand cherokee 6 cyl., auto trans. two wheel drive. I would appreciate any and all info. from experience. THANKS to EVERYONE Looking forward to doing some traveling !!
Spine Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new rig. I'm sure some of our experts will be along soon to share how they set up their similar vehicles.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The four wheel drive MIGHT be towable four down, depending on which transfer case you have.
The two wheel drive would only be on a trailer (not a dolly), or by removing the driveshaft, or by adding a driveshaft disconnect if they make one for it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
this Application Charts | Remco Towing and your owners manual should answer your questions.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
The 2000 GC could go on a dolly IF you have a manual transfer case that can be placed in neutral. The 2001 rear wheel drive only is a trailer queen only I believe. You'd have to install a Remco drive shaft disconnect to tow it 4 down or on a trailer. Remco driveshaft disconnect | driveline coupler by Remco

Also, be aware that the GC weighs in at between 4200 and 5000 lbs, according to year and accessories. Be sure your motorhome, hitch, and tow bar are all rated for that load.

The Ford V 10 is a very good engine and drive train for motorhomes. Use the forum's search features to find out more about your particular engine year.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on your new to you MH. FMCA annually provides a towing guide that provides info on what is or isn't towable 4 down. It appears you may not need the dolly. If you have the owners manual you can verify that or call Jeep. Heres a link to the FMCA booklet for 2000.
http://www.fmca.com/images/stories/pdf/towing_00.pdf
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I bought a GC just so I could get RID of my tow dolly!

If your 4WD has a neutral setting on the transfer case, you can tow that 4-down which is MUCH easier than dealing with a tow dolly. Hopefully you can return the tow dolly and put that money towards a BlueOx tow bar, aux. braking (I have a Brake Buddy), and a adapter kit that goes on your car for the BlueOx.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #8

Tow Dolly

Thanks to everyone for all the replies on my tow dolly use. Does anyone know if i can tow the 2 wheel drive jeep gr. ch. auto trans , 6 cyl. with the back wheels on the tow dolly ?? Im trying to avoid the cost of a driveshaft disconnect. Im stuck with the tow dolly so i can always tqw the 4 wheel drive Gr. Ch. Thanks again !! One out of 2 aint bad.
Spine Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The 2000 GC could go on a dolly IF you have a manual transfer case that can be placed in neutral.
The four wheel drive models can ONLY be towed four down and ONLY if you have the correct transfer case, not on a dolly.

You CANNOT tow the four wheel drive GC on a dolly unless you pull the rear driveshaft. The transfer case will be ruined if you try towing on a dolly with the rear driveshaft connected, the transfer case isn't made to work that way.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spine Fusion View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the replies on my tow dolly use. Does anyone know if i can tow the 2 wheel drive jeep gr. ch. auto trans , 6 cyl. with the back wheels on the tow dolly ?? Im trying to avoid the cost of a driveshaft disconnect.
Some people do it but all dolly manufacturers caution against it.