Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
We have a car that cannot be flat towed, so it's a dolly for us.
And, we can swap cars with no cost.

We have the insanely simple Acme Eze-Tow and have loading to a 5 min process...unloading is around 2 min. We have front loading hoops on the car, so never have to get on the ground. It's strong and simple as a hammer, has disc brakes, and stowable ramps that will never bump the cars underbody.

However you choose to tow, PLEASE get brakes. Brakes on a flat tow or dolly are often not required by law (depends on state law), but is always a safe and smart decision. Our car is 3,500lb empty and we do not want that much weight pushing us around in a panic stop or if there ever was a breakaway.

Best luck

I am interested in what are front loading hoops on the car I also have the Acme

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougsee3 View Post
I am interested in what are front loading hoops on the car I also have the Acme
On our car, the factory placed loops or hoops under the front bumper that (I believe) are used to tie down the car in shipment from the factory. I have seen these hoops on most new cars, but sometimes there is only 1 under there.

This makes using the safety chains between the car to dolly a breeze.

BTW: Acme is advertising new "banjo" safety chains...I don't know exactly what that means, but they are reporting them as an upgrade

Hope that makes sense.

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:43 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I have had the Kar Kaddy SS since 05. It works as advertised. I would make the same purchase again. Got all the options, spare tire, tongue wheel, extra straps (for more than one car), tool box on tongue, and rock shield. Being it was a single time purchase, I got, what I consider, the best available in 2005.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #18

WE have a MasterTow with surge brakes. The first time we used it, it took a few tries to get the car set the way we wanted it. But now, its about a 5 min job to load the car. Once you get a routine, its a piece of cake!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #19

Tow Dolly

+ 1 on the master tow dolly, Easy to use. Light weight, Good price point. Would purchase again.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
See my post in this group today, I say NO to dolly's, I think used car dealers use them mostly.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the interest of continuity...here's the post referenced above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velroc View Post
Four years ago on the WV interstate I lost my toad when towed with a dolly. We hit a huge pot hole, the hitch came off and both safety chains connected to dolly broke!! It was 5 am and toad ended up in out side lane against center rail on the dolly.

Lucky a 18 wheeler saw it and stopped and got on CB and called 911, we heard a noise and my wife looked out rear window and gave me bad news. I called 911 and cops already knew about it. Both dolly and toad were totaled.

Never will use a dolly again and always will use a aux brake with electrical breakaway cable.

Lucky Bob

Oh My! So glad you and yours were not hurt.

This post is a perfect example why I believe brakes and a brake away system should be a federal mandate for any towed vehicle. All quality dollys have brakes available.

Crossing the safety chains could have suspended the parted dolly tongue in the story above from hitting the ground...which was probably the reason BOTH safety chains parted.

I can not understand the parted hitch coupling in the story - if it was properly latched and pinned, but that is a risk for flat tow, dolly tow, or a trailer.

Flat towing is no safer than dolly towing or vice versa...but lately there has been some reports of parted towing base plates. And this should still be no serious problem if the operator crosses the safety cables/chains AND uses a brake away system.

Safe travels to all
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #22

You might also want to consider the Roadmaster 2000-1 dolly. We used one to tow our Buick over 25,0000 miles without any problems. It's extremely simple to use. You just flip a lever to lower the ramps for loading and unloading. When loading the weight of the car raises the ramps and latches them in place. When unloading you flip the lever to unlock the ramps and the weight of the car backing off lowers them.

The only additional steps are to put the straps over the tires and connect the built in safety chains. It has steerable wheels so the dolly follows directly in the path of the rear tires of the motorhome. It has built in lockable storage compartments for the chains and tire straps. It's also well balanced so it can be moved around by the built in handle with 1 hand. It's not the cheapest dolly on the market, but well worth the money.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal P View Post
Thinking of buying a tow dolly. Can use some info on what people have and what they think. From top line like demco kar kaddy ss to acme tow any help would appreciated.

Sent you a private message.

Cart is offline   Reply With Quote