Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #1

Exclamation Tow dollies

Thinking of buying a tow dolly. Can use some info on what people have and what they think. From top line like demco kar kaddy ss to acme tow any help would appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used a dolly for one trip of 100 miles, sold it and set up for 4 down towing instead. It took 30 or 40 minutes to load the dolly and required laying on the ground under the car. I can set up my tow bar in under 10 minutes. That said, I know there are a lot of members who swear by their dollies. I'm sure some will be along to help you. Fwiw I had an Acme dolly and it seemed to be well constructed.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #3

We did the same thing. Had a new Accord paid for so buying another car to tow 4 down was not good financial practice. Instead, we bought a Master Tow Dolly with surge brakes $1,800 out the door. The first time I loaded the Accord, took over forty minutes to get it fitted and locked down. Today, I can load and pull away in the MH in less than 10 minutes.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #4

Have an ACME. I use the ACME with my Neon and a trailer for my Geo 4x4...More likely to break something 4 wheeling that would prevent dollying.
My car may be higher than Bruces, therefore no laying on the ground. Never timed my hook-up but no big deal.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the Kar Kaddy SS. It tows great. The folding feature is a great feature. Our car is not flat towable and didn't want to trade it.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a one year old Acme EZ Tow. It's been great for towing our 2012 VW Passat. Maybe 10 minutes on and off. It has LED lights, disc surge brakes, and maintenance free hubs. Just bought a 2008 Hummer H3 that I would like to take with me. Can't dolly tow it, so I'm now looking to sell the tow dolly and go 4 down. If you're anywhere near New York and are interested in a good deal on a great dolly, PM me...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #7

I purchased a dolly from American Car Dolly. They are manufactured in Fort Morgan Co. The dolly was delivered to me (in Texas), at no extra charge and completely assembled. Great Product. I recommend you check them out.
Home | American Car Dolly
Old 02-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #8

Have had a Demco for years -- great product -- tow 4 down now , but keep the old Demco for backup -- still use it once in awhile to take a car in for service behind my pickup and drop off a car that is not set up for 4 down towing -- saves a driver
Old 02-07-2014, 11:44 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a car that cannot be flat towed, so it's a dolly for us.
And, we can swap cars with no cost.

We have the insanely simple Acme Eze-Tow and have loading to a 5 min process...unloading is around 2 min. We have front loading hoops on the car, so never have to get on the ground. It's strong and simple as a hammer, has disc brakes, and stowable ramps that will never bump the cars underbody.

However you choose to tow, PLEASE get brakes. Brakes on a flat tow or dolly are often not required by law (depends on state law), but is always a safe and smart decision. Our car is 3,500lb empty and we do not want that much weight pushing us around in a panic stop or if there ever was a breakaway.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Bailiff: I saw a master tow dollytjis afternoon. Is it as good as the guy swears by? Price: $1500lus tax. They would set it up on our 07 Accord and says will take only a few minutes once I get the hang of it. Th,anks. Comes with brakes, etc.

Barry
Old 02-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We use a KarKaddySS to tow our toad the caddie. Yes Ca-ching but will last for ever. It takes 5 minutes tops too hook up, and so can you with experience. After hooking and unhooking same as with a tow bar. You can only use one toad with a tow bar unless you have plates installed on your vehicles.(ca-ching)$$$ You can pretty much tow anything on a KarKaddySS as long as you don't go over weight or over sized tires, of course same as with a tow bar. And you have to add a breaking unit with a tow bar. My KarKaddySS has surge breaks. I had a experence with them and they work great streight line stopping too.
Would I go this way again sure would.
JMHO,tb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0883_1.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	994.7 KB
ID:	55757  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #12

Really depends on how good your back and knees are. I had a tow dolly and when I got done I would be hurting due to back pain and didn't want to go on the trip. It towed well but a lot more trouble for storage, had to pay close attention because it was much wider than the car. It would be very tight thru construction zones, mountain roads and camp grounds. I tow 4 down now and it is so much better.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #13

Sorry. Forgot to answer your question. I had a master built. I bought used for 800 and sold it 4 years later for 650. It was good quality and I had no problems. Just make sure you keep correct pressure in the tires.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim&Paula View Post
Really depends on how good your back and knees are. I had a tow dolly and when I got done I would be hurting due to back pain and didn't want to go on the trip. It towed well but a lot more trouble for storage, had to pay close attention because it was much wider than the car. It would be very tight thru construction zones, mountain roads and camp grounds. I tow 4 down now and it is so much better.
The comment about the dolly width has me wondering...If towing a dolly with a standard, non DRW pick-up (read - no RV involved) the dolly width could need attension, but isn't the Winnebago a Class A? The dolly would be less wide than the RV's rear duals...so how was narrow roads an issue for that set-up?

With a short towing tongue, dolly's do not usually cut into a turn.

Totally agree that tire pressure is important for any towed rig.
Both set-ups have pro's and con's...I could never say one is better than the other...I think it is all in what the individual needs and wants.

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote