Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:44 AM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunsje View Post
Flat towing is easier. That is why most vehicles are flat towed.

JohnnyB
But if your towed can't be flat towed or you don't want the expense of outfitting one vehicle to be towed than a dolly is the way to go.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2014, 01:47 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After Honda changed their stance on towing our '05 Odyssey we bought a KK-460 (with Honda's money!). Works very well although we now tow four down since the Ody doesn't seem to care other than the battery going dead. Had to add a charge line to fix that.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:40 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Tow Dollies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHR View Post
I have used a mastertow for years, and also have an enclosed trailer to use if I want. I tow my Durango or van, and have had no issues. I considered a tow bar setup, but the van can't be towed flat, and then I would always have to use the durango. With the dolly I can use either, or the trailer. I have never had any issues in a park for storage, I just unhook the dolly if I need space and put the tongue under the rig. I prefer the trailer brakes rather than the surge brakes, as I feel more in control with the brake controller and can also use the manual switch if desired. Just my own preference.

X2. We have about 30,000 miles on a master tow dolly 80 inch model w/ electric brakes. Both Toyotas and a mini van all work without problems. Be sure to get radial ply tires as the bias ply wear unevenly on the highway.

I'd buy it again.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #18
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Acme EZE TOW Tow Dolly

Reference to two earlier posts....
We have made several design changes to the Acme EZE TOW Tow Dolly since these generations. We have finally resolved the taillight issue with a new tail light bracket that is neatly integrated into our new one piece fender bracket. Light issue is permanently resolved.
We no longer use the plastic ramps. The New ramps are steel and attach to the dolly for loading and are stored on the front of the dolly when not in use.

Our newest generation wheel straps are very easy to use and can only be applied in one way. They do have to be adjusted occasionally.

You can see all these new changes on our new video on our home page at
Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company

The application of the safety chains has been greatly simplified also, although you still have to get down low to apply them, as is the case with all dollies.

The simple truth is, traveling and taking a car with you is an effort no matter how you do it. The RV community is exactly split on Four Down versus a dolly.

I can tell you that we sell a lot of dollies to people that have been towing four down, usually after they change cars the second time. Used tow Bars have a very poor resale value, you probably will not recoup much or any of your investment and they do not easily move to another car.

This Tow Bar opinion is anecdotal, as told to me by dozens of customers that have purchased dollies at the factory, often leaving there tow bar set ups there for us to dispose. I have never owned or used a tow bar.

Last note, If you try to back with a tow bar at all you will immediately damage the tow bar.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm saving my money to buy the Acme dolly one of these days.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
Last note, If you try to back with a tow bar at all you will immediately damage the tow bar.
And, trying to back with a dolly and car on it can immediately lead to vehicle damage.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ACME EZE Tow, utter simplicity, no changes required on the toad. The latest version has new style straps and ramps, very nice.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:48 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And, trying to back with a dolly and car on it can immediately lead to vehicle damage.
I must disagree with this about backing with a dolly. As long as a turn is not allowed to start, backing with a dolly is most surely possible and can be done without vehicle damage.

My personal record is about 3 lengths of our RV (about 100') when the we were blocked-in at a gas station.

But it is true that if a turn begins while backing with a car on a dolly, a jack-knife situation could quickly be created. With a pivot pan dolly, that means dolly fender contact to the car door The steering axle type and fixed frame type dollies will just reach steering lock, then scrub the dolly wheels sideways

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:32 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Backing Up the Dolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I must disagree with this about backing with a dolly. As long as a turn is not allowed to start, backing with a dolly is most surely possible and can be done without vehicle damage.

My personal record is about 3 lengths of our RV (about 100') when the we were blocked-in at a gas station.

But it is true that if a turn begins while backing with a car on a dolly, a jack-knife situation could quickly be created. With a pivot pan dolly, that means dolly fender contact to the car door The steering axle type and fixed frame type dollies will just reach steering lock, then scrub the dolly wheels sideways

Safe travels
Same here. I've backed my dolly with extreme care. If you can maintain a straight path, it's simple physics. I do, however, yield Olympic Gold to anyone who can sustain that delicate balancing act for three lengths, unless your rig is two feet long!
Old 12-26-2014, 09:13 AM   #24

Tow Dollie

We run with a KarKaddy by Demco with a Toyota Prius in tow. We have to put the Prius on something like that. I find it easy to hook up and unhook, I can even back up if I am careful.

Cruisin in the MH and lovin it
Old 12-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What damage? I backed at least 20 feet, that was last year, I use it all the time and see no damage. Luck I guess.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #26

tow dolly

Hi Glen, I went through the same search you did last year. I purchase a 2000 Dutch Star 3856. I decided on the Kar Kaddy SS, even purchasing it used in my opinion it is best in class. I replaced the tires, check the brakes and electrical and I was on the road. Please be aware there are different size tie downs for the tires. You will need to check your tire size to make sure you have the correct fit. I would recommend you buy new.

We covered 8,000 miles last summer with no problems. We towed our car backwards. Although many people on this forum will advise against it, the vehicle manufacturer recommends it because of the drive train. It worked well and probably will for you as long as you steering wheel is either locking or tied off like the tow trucks do. We simply used the column lock.

It took a little practice getting it lined up in the center of the dolly and strapping the wheels and safety chains. Once I got the hang of it, I was able to get off the dolly in about 5 minutes and on in 15 minutes give or take a few.

Once the car was off, the total length is substantially shorter and you wont need as long a space to pull into. Don't be afraid of it, I believe you have a substantial coach and shouldn't even notice the car following to closely.

PS you can download the manual for the Kar Kaddy SS online. It should provide all the safety tips you need. If I can pass on one token of advise, always check the wheel straps shortly after you start you journey and at your rest stop and adjust as needed. I don't think the car will come off the dolly, you don't want it moving around all the same.

Happy trails, your greatest adventure is just around the bend.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #27

Mid Atlantic Campers
I use an EZE Tow and like it too. I have made u-turns that are lock left steering wheel with no problems and driven I-95 cobble stone road at full speed (76mph)for short distances. Sure enough, my Mazda CX-5 is right behind me when I get home, all be it, dirty as sin.
I will be putting safety chain loops on the car as per Scarab0088. Never thought of doing that. I just figured God wanted me to lay on my back in the rain at least once per trip.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #28
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Acme EZE TOW Tow Dolly

If you have an Acme EZE TOW Tow Dolly that does not have Safety Chain Banjos ( a recent improvement ) we will send you a set at no charge. They have to be welded on but they are worth the effort. Contact the office during normal business hours and tell them that Richard offered to do so. Thanks.

Tags
tow