Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:12 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tow Dollies

Merry Christmas,

Angie and I are new owners of a Dutch Star DP.

As a coach owner, now is the time to think about our "toad", getting ready for Glamping season - 2015.

We have 2 personal vehicles, a 2013 Chevrolet Spark and a 2014 Ford Explorer.

The Spark cannot be flat-towed, the Explorer can, although according to the vehicle"s manual, the vehicle must have the ignition in the accessory mode while being towed. Not sure why as it does not have a locking steering column.

I believe we will dolly the Spark, as it's weight is 2000 pounds - 1 ton - less than the Explorer. Let's us load a lot more "Stuff" in the coach!!! LOL

So, here is my question, what tow dolly to purchase?

I have narrowed it down to two models.

First one is called EZE Tow made by ACME. Simple in design, inexpensive comparatively speaking. Gets good write-ups, etc. About 400#s. Affordable spare tire option.

The second is the Kar KaddySS made by Demco. Seems to be a heavier constructed dolly at 600#s. Extras such as a spare seem expensive to add, even have to pay extra for the spare mounting bracket! What I like about the Kar KaddySS is that it folds, making it's parking footprint small. It is about twice the price of the EZE Tow.

Looking for thoughts from fellow iRVers......do you get what you pay for???

Thanks,

Glenn

Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We have the Demco unit and have had no problems with it. After 30,000 miles the tires look almost new and the articulating steering is a great feature when maneuvering in tight corners. We bought a spare tire/rim at Tractor Supply for about 1/3 of Demco price but the Tractor Supply mounting bracket was not high enough to prevent the spare tire from sometimes rubbing on the ground. The Demco mount solved the problem. The swing away tongue is great from a storage standpoint and also at some camp grounds where space is a problem.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I bought the Acme tow dolly. No issues with the equipment. However, mine is brand new and I would sell it in a heartbeat; reason: through no fault of tow dolly, there are going to be times you get in a turn-around predicament. The turning radius with toad has to be considered; there is no backing up without damaging cargo starps. This mean unhitching the car and the trailer to get your coach turned around and then re-hitching trailer and car again. (15 mins plus or minus)
My strong recommendation is for your toad to be on a tow bar. The issue for me is the toad vehicle has to accommodate the use of a tow bar; hence why I have the dolly due to restriction of an automatic by Hyundai and tow bar. My Manual very clearly states I have to use a tow dolly or full cargo trailer.
Bottom line if you have the option go with the tow bar; as long as your car is designed to be used with tow bar, skip the tow dolly!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #4

NO!!

Flat towing is easier. That is why most vehicles are flat towed.

JohnnyB
Old 12-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg neumann View Post
We have the Demco unit and have had no problems with it. After 30,000 miles the tires look almost new and the articulating steering is a great feature when maneuvering in tight corners. We bought a spare tire/rim at Tractor Supply for about 1/3 of Demco price but the Tractor Supply mounting bracket was not high enough to prevent the spare tire from sometimes rubbing on the ground. The Demco mount solved the problem. The swing away tongue is great from a storage standpoint and also at some camp grounds where space is a problem.
Times 2 except I don't have that many miles on mine.
Love the surge breaks you'll need something if you tow 4 down. Demco customer service has been very helpful. Only problem is one of the fenders cracked and have no idea how it happened even lost the mud flap on same side.. They gave me one @ 50% off. I also ordered a wheel/chrome and tire @ $145.00.
I am a Ford man so my choice is the Ford and you might need the 4 wheel if you go off road.
I sold the Ford & I'm bring my Caddie and it's the only GM I would own.Although that New Impala is looking pretty nice. I have been able to back it up once or twice (no more) the one time I backed her up a good 20 feet straight of course to get out of a Gas station. Be sure when you pull in somewhere that you have a out. I went very slow while backing.
Let us know what you decide.
Happy Holidays
spritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Indy Glenn,
I have the Demco mentioned in your OP. Had it since 06. No problems and it works as advertised. It is heavy duty dolly. Tow the wife's Deville. It is left connected to the coach most of the time. If it must be disconnected, it is easy to move and the folding feature is a big +. I would make the same purchase again. I also tow a GMC ENVOY 4 down. Both towing methods have their advantages. Both have tasks that are equally irritating.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #7

We also have a Demco but not the newer one,I picked it used for $500.oo and went through it pretty good replaced tires and wiring I changed to LED, it has served us well and if wears out I'll look for another one,It always amazes me how people critize the tow dolly but never owned one or are to lazy to get the exercise hooking one up,Rich
Old 12-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #8

I have the ACME tow dolly and am very happy with it. Last trip I parked it next to a Demco Kar Kaddy SS and was surprised at the size difference. The Demco folded is no smaller than the ACME which doesn't fold. I am not bashing the Demco as it the other dolly I considered before my purchase of the ACME. As for the spare tire, I store it in the coach basement.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:05 AM   #9
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Acme EZE-TOW Tow Dolly

You can actually back our loaded dolly if you need to, just lock out the brakes. The tow bar manufacturers sternly warn you not to try backing up even one inch with a tow bar, you will bend them.

We have two to three people a week drive up to our factory towing a car four flat, and leave towing it on a dolly, for a LOT of reasons.

Our dolly can also be stored vertically very easily and at 380 pounds it is very easy to do.

The only 5 to year warranty on all critical moving parts, bearings, hubs, seals, brake components and actuator.

For a detailed comparison chart to all other dollies visit our website at Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company
Old 12-23-2014, 06:28 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Dolly vs 4-Down vs Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Merry Christmas,

Angie and I are new owners of a Dutch Star DP.

As a coach owner, now is the time to think about our "toad", getting ready for Glamping season - 2015.

We have 2 personal vehicles, a 2013 Chevrolet Spark and a 2014 Ford Explorer.
We've got a Roadmaster which has a nasty habit of chomping through the OEM Carlisle tires like Christmas candy. After several blowouts and replaced fenders, I hung Goodyears on the thing and am holding my breath. Lately, the brake light wiring chafed at where it is routed through the fenders, had to be replaced. Now, at about 10,000 miles, my brake controller alarms at a short-circuit whenever the dolly is plugged in; so, it is temporarily grounded again.

Last year, I spent twice as much as a dolly or 4-down towing setup costs, and had a trailer built. It is eight feet tall inside, twenty feet long. Like your Spark, wifey's Lexus cannot be towed either on dolly or 4-down; it stays clean and dry inside its little garage, behind the rig.

Better yet, I can now use reverse.

WARNING: Spouses may feel entitled to buy heavy items like yard art, bronze statues, big vases, kitchen appliances, patio furniture, etc. when enclosed trailers become part of the RV'ing ensemble. This might result in excessive expense, extra stops, longer traveling times, lower back pain.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
I have been using the ACME dolly for about 3 years. It is stored in the garage in the vertical position by picking up the tongue and resting the dolly securely on its back end. This process is simple but requires a fairly heavy pick up of maybe 75 lbs. The dolly has surge brakes which I wanted to avoid dealing with wiring and the complexity of electric brakes. There were several negatives to the dolly: on every trip I would lose a tail light from vibration, and the dolly is about 10 inches wider than the RV. Since all I tow is the Mini Cooper I cut 10 inches from the width and welded it back together, thus eliminating the need to position the coach to the dolly wheels while driving on narrow roads. At the same time I mounted the lights on a pivot with a rubber dampener which solved the problem of tail lights vibrating off. You CAN back up the dolly when loaded by getting out and inserting a pin in a slot to prevent the brakes from actuating. However, backing the RV when towing is not practical due to the difficulty of such an operation. Even though the dolly wheels do not pivot, the toad follows directly behind the RV and there is no need to swing wide for the toad. One thing I did notice was the dolly tires leave black marks on our driveway. I finally figured out that when making sharp turns the rear tires of the toad roll while the dolly tires skid, thereby leaving black marks. I don't see where this causes any problems but is worth mentioning.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:03 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an EZ tow by acme and don't care for it. I used it several times and found hook up to be a pain. You have to get under the thing to install the safety chains. I had to keep checking the over wheel straps because they would loosen up as you drive. I did not think much of the plastic rams either one came out as we were putting car on one of the times. After that we strapped the ramp to the dolly. As far as backing I would not back with either but when I have to unhook from my tow bar and rehook I can do it much faster than with the dolly. If someone wants my dolly It has been sitting in my garage for 2 years unused in perfect condition I don"t plan to use it again. The only good thing I can say about a dolly is your car does not have to be set up to tow which is why we bought it. I know someone will jump on me now that is what happened the last time I posted a negative comment about this dolly but this is my opinion of the thing and a perspective buyer should have both sides of the story.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #13
RHR

I have used a mastertow for years, and also have an enclosed trailer to use if I want. I tow my Durango or van, and have had no issues. I considered a tow bar setup, but the van can't be towed flat, and then I would always have to use the durango. With the dolly I can use either, or the trailer. I have never had any issues in a park for storage, I just unhook the dolly if I need space and put the tongue under the rig. I prefer the trailer brakes rather than the surge brakes, as I feel more in control with the brake controller and can also use the manual switch if desired. Just my own preference.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:17 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats on the smart decision to dolly tow. Your car will be happy and safe up high away from rock strikes, free of miles accruing on the lower driveline and damage to the fascia from cutting and mounting towbar baseplates in the critical crumple zones of you car.

We use an EZE-Tow. Have had it for over 3 years and have only gotten better at loading and unloading. It takes the same or less time than our friends who flat tow.

So easy to use and lightweight, but strong enough and wide enough to carry more car than most other dollies.

The surge/disc brakes and maint free hubs are standard.

It is very possible to back-up with the EZE-Tow loaded. My record is just over 3 lengths of our RV (just over 100') when I got blocked in at a gas station. Just gotta' keep it straight.

There is NO REASON to get under the car to hook-up a dolly. If a hard point for the safety chains is hard to reach, just add a spare piece of chain with a d-ring to the car's frame. If someone can spend the time and cash for a flat-tow set-up, why can't they add a piece of chain to the car?

The new ramps on the EZE-Tow are near slip-proof metal that hook to the dolly frame. Anyone complaining about the ramps was using the old style RhinoRamps.

We would buy another in a heartbeat...but we don't need to. Ours has years and years left in it.

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow