Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #1

Tow Dolly

Sorry we just purchased a Travel Supreme 41' 2004. We are leaving in the next month for a couple of months. We do need a tow dolly but know NOTHING about them. We do know the one with lights. We have a 2012 Chrysler 200, size of a sebring should we buy, rent etc... appreciate any help
pushon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Congrats on the new to you Travel Supreme, they made a fine coach. Oddly tow dolly convo's can get passionate. Here a recent thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/tow-dollies-119202.html
Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #3

Ready
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #4

Ok these are some scary responses
Old 11-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #5

There's really nothing scary about using a tow dolly. It just takes a little common sense and some getting used to. We used a dolly to tow our Buick LeSabre over 25,000 miles and it worked great. We now tow a Jeep 4 down but still have the dolly. At such time that we no longer like to off road we'll use the dolly again for our new Buick.

There are lots of brands available and lots of opinions on each of them. If you do some research I'm sure you'll be able to find one that meets your needs and your budget. We chose a RoadMaster 2000-1. We like the steerable wheels (follows directly in the path of the rear wheels of the motorhome) locking storage compartments, built in safety chains, self storing ramps, electric brakes, and the fact that it can be assembled in 2 different widths to accomodate almost any car on the road.

As I said in an earlier post most people who dislike tow dollies are those that have had problems. Most problems are the result of buying a dolly based on price rather than the features needed for safe and convenient use, poor choices of when and where to load and unload, and the need for storage space.

If you make the right choice none of these problems will raise their ugly heads. It's better to take your time and do your own research than rely on someone elses biased opinion. Get a dolly that best fits the car you plan to tow.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
There's really nothing scary about using a tow dolly. It just takes a little common sense and some getting used to. We used a dolly to tow our Buick LeSabre over 25,000 miles and it worked great. We now tow a Jeep 4 down but still have the dolly. At such time that we no longer like to off road we'll use the dolly again for our new Buick.

There are lots of brands available and lots of opinions on each of them. If you do some research I'm sure you'll be able to find one that meets your needs and your budget. We chose a RoadMaster 2000-1. We like the steerable wheels (follows directly in the path of the rear wheels of the motorhome) locking storage compartments, built in safety chains, self storing ramps, electric brakes, and the fact that it can be assembled in 2 different widths to accomodate almost any car on the road.

As I said in an earlier post most people who dislike tow dollies are those that have had problems. Most problems are the result of buying a dolly based on price rather than the features needed for safe and convenient use, poor choices of when and where to load and unload, and the need for storage space.

If you make the right choice none of these problems will raise their ugly heads. It's better to take your time and do your own research than rely on someone elses biased opinion. Get a dolly that best fits the car you plan to tow.
Great write up.

I just ordered a KarKaddySS from PPLmotorhomes.com best price.

Google search KarKaddySS/shopping.

I will tow my daughters Chevy Cobalt, No supplimental brake systems, no tow bars, no vehicle specific brackets, no Wiring, No fuses to pull, No Lube Pumps, and I can switch Toad vehicles without all the added cost.

I researched this for a while and It may not be for everyone but it is What I Feel Best Fits My needs and that is what you have to focus on.

What will best Fit your Needs.

It cost less up front and in the long run and is more universal, I can Even pull a Rental car if I need to if something happens to the Cobalt.

Ted.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post
Great write up.

I just ordered a KarKaddySS from PPLmotorhomes.com best price.

Google search KarKaddySS/shopping.

I will tow my daughters Chevy Cobalt, No supplimental brake systems, no tow bars, no vehicle specific brackets, no Wiring, No fuses to pull, No Lube Pumps, and I can switch Toad vehicles without all the added cost.

I researched this for a while and It may not be for everyone but it is What I Feel Best Fits My needs and that is what you have to focus on.

What will best Fit your Needs.

It cost less up front and in the long run and is more universal, I can Even pull a Rental car if I need to if something happens to the Cobalt.

Ted.
Good choice for a dolly. Our KarKaddy SS is 6 years old with over 50,000 miles on it. Towed 4 diffferent vehelices with no changes to veheicles. Just switched to 4 down towing. Because of the one fault with a dolly for us. Moving it around when we get to a site that is not pull thru. Getting to old to sufflle 600 lbs around. Still have dolly in case we need to tow something new.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi pushon,
I also tow 4 down and use a dolly (not at the same time ). It depends on which car is going on the trip. I have had a KarKaddy SS since 05. I have never had a problem with it. There are a different set of tasks for dolly or 4 down towing. Each is equally irritating. My advice is to get into a routine and stick with it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #9

Just returned from a 2600 mile round trip to FL.

I couldn't be happier with the ease of use, handling, Quality and such.

I had to leave my back up camera on so I would remember it was back there LOL

Ted.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #10

The straps only needed tightening once after about 12 miles this being the maiden voyage

I checked them every time we stopped to rest or fuel up and they never got lose

On the trip home they never needed retightening checked regularly

The trick is to not have more than 2 turns of strap on the spool

I learned this many years ago tying down my race car

Ted
Old 01-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #11

we boutht a Demco Kar Kaddy,

Well, long story, pull up a comfortable seat. We had planned to leave on December 26th, Michigan to Las Vegas. The week before we had bought a tow dolly from a Demco dealer in Michigan, a Kar Kaddy SS. We were going on a Saturday to make sure the coach, the car and the Kaddy were all going to work well together... Now we have purchased the Demco Kar Kaddy SS and have had it hooked up to the Coach. We drove home from the Demco Dealer and all went well. We did find there is no steering wheel lock on a Chrysler 200 so we purchased a steering wheel lock. Our plan is to now leave on the 23rd of January hoping all goes as planned this time.

Thank GOD, we had purchased a warranty with the Travel Supreme and there was over $4,000 in damage. we had to pay our deductable. We just got the coach back three days ago, with the holidays and all.

Bob was driving the coach and I was following him in the Chrysler 200. I left a few minutes after he did figuring I would catch up quickly as we have about four miles of dirt road before we get to a main road. Bob phoned me on our cell and was just turning onto pavement and there is an immediate entrance ramp to Interstate 75. He said the coach was not riding very good and he is thinking we should head home or to a shop to find out what the problem is. I caught up with Bob and he was on Interstate 75 again he calls me and I am only a few car lengths behind him, with no one between us. Bob is not happy and doesn't want to go any further and tells me he is pulling over and we can call for road assistance. Just about then I here a loud pop and I think Bob blew a tire. Then I see parts bouncing out and sparking from under the coach. It was the Drive Train, U Joints, Couplers, etc .... we called for a tow truck and waited.

I was thankful that a county truck was behind me and had turned on their lights and stopped traffic to pick up the parts and bring them to us. We waited at the roadside about an hour and a half for the tow truck. As we were waiting we phoned the company that had checked the rig before we made our August 2012 purchase. They explained that Bob and I should have let the rig run for sometime and let the Air Ride build up. We know that was not the case, as we had let the coach run for 45 minutes before we moved at all.

We got the coach towed to a Diesel repair shop and found there had been a leak in the Air Modulator which caused us to bottom out the rig, which knocked off the drive shaft and parts.

We are going to New Orleans then onto the West side of Florida for some well needed rest and relaxation. I was going to purchase Windows Streets and Trips and Now I see the RV Trip Wizard. I am looking into both!! At any rate, we will be heading out with one or the other programs in tow and our handy Galaxy Pad and Lap Top. I am trying to see the past as a blessing, if we had been far from home the trip would have been a disaster and now it has just been postponed. We have truly appreciated all the comments and support. If you have any more PLEASE FEEL FREE.

Stay Warm and be safe!!

BOB and CINDY
Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #12

Hey Pushon,

[ moderator edit ]

It is not hard to tow with a dolly. Not fun to hook up or take down if raining or snowy but niether is the blue ox tow bar. Is a little messier with the dolly because you have to get under the fenders but really not a big deal. I could hook up in about 15 minutes and have it taken down in about 7.

Take care,
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly